Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Klein owners - Tell me more

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 01:04 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know I'm all across the board in my search for my next bike. I know I want a road bike. I know I want to fall in love with that bike, and that includes loving the looks of it (I'm shallow that way). But I also want to love the feel of it. I thought that I couldn't fall in love with one of those high-techie looking bikes. But I think I could fall in love with one of these:

Solveg and Retro grouch and anyone else who has a Klein: Why did you select a Klein? Which do you have? What do you like about it? What don't you like?

I see that Solveg has both a Rivendell and a Klein, so maybe it's not so strange to like both types of bike. Something tells me that the Klein will fit in with the club rides better than the Bleriot? One of my 2008 resolutions is to join a local TriDivas-type group and complete a mini-tri. The Klein would work for that, too. But the Bleriot would be better for touring and casual rides.
Old 12-31-07, 01:13 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I do not own a Klein but I rode a couple before they became part of the Trek concern. In those days they were basically a Full race bike and the quality of the bikes had to be believed- They were leagues in front of the opposition on quality and lightness. Unfortunately they gave a very harsh ride and were a bit fragile with the Frames Going "off" in a couple of years. Trek took them over and although the quality has gone down a bit- they are a far better bike to ride now with regards to comfort- and The life of the frames has improved a lot.

Definitely a bike to look at- but one you also HAVE to give a good test ride to aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-31-07, 01:40 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice, stapfam. Wouldn't dream of buying any bike without riding it first. The challenge is that the only CA dealer listed on the Klein website is in San Diego! Solveg and retro grouch, where did you get your Kleins? Did you have to travel far to take one for a test ride?
Old 12-31-07, 01:48 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek has dropped distributing the Klein line in the USA. You should be able to get a good deal on it.

I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a 2005 Klein Reve X. Those came standard with Campy components and listed at $2200. Carbon fork & stays.

https://archive.kleinbikes.com/us/roa...e_x/index.html

As I'm in Madison and Trek is only a few miles away, our bike shops get some oddball Treks & Kleins & Gary Fishers. Bikes with non-standard parts, frames put together with parts out of the leftover bins.

This Klein Reve X has a collection of Shimano parts - Tiagra crank, Ultegra R.D., Sora brakes, etc. While it is a 2005, it is brand new. They have two left, one in my size, and are asking $650 for it.

So I looked into Klein a bit. Nearly all of their frames were built in the USA. But Trek doesn't know what to do with the line, now that they have their upscale Madone line out and across a broad price range. So they are now selling them only in Japan & Europe, or so I have been told.

They used to be more of a racing bike, and had rigid frames that rattled you around a bit. But they softened the ride over the past few years. The Reve X that I looked at even has a rear "suspension" in the form of a narrow SPA elastomer at the top of the seat stays. Very little travel to it ... maybe 5 mm ... but it does soak up the bumps. Trek now has similar (but thicker) SPA suspensions on their top 7000-series bikes.

Anyway, my LBS speaks well of Klein and is sad to see them disappearing from the USA market.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-31-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-31-07, 01:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My road bikes are the Klein and a reworked Bridgestone RB2. I like the combination because they're so utterly different from one another.

My Klein is a 1999 or 2000 model, one of the last Chehalis, Washington built bikes. I can't feel any ride differences from the Bridgestone that I can't attribute to the narrower tires. Insted of using decals, the whole bike was painted the color of the lettering, then they masked the lettering and painted the bike a light to dark gray fade. I've replaced the Rolf Wheels and all of the Icon parts on mine so I feel it has been customized to suit me. There will never be anymore like it made.

If you think of your bike as being a tool, I suppose there might be a several that will do the job as well or maybe even a little better than the Klein. If you want a beautiful bike you'll have to go the custom route to equal it.
Old 12-31-07, 02:05 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Klein Q Elite XV that you are looking at TruF is a high quality, very lightweight, fast bike. Full carbon frame, full Ultegra component set, racing wheels, high geared (53/39) crank, 700x23 tires. This is very, very different than what you were seeing at Rivendell.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-31-07, 02:14 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
That Klein Q Elite XV that you are looking at TruF is a high quality, very lightweight, fast bike. Full carbon frame, full Ultegra component set, racing wheels, high geared (53/39) crank, 700x23 tires. This is very, very different than what you were seeing at Rivendell.
Yes. I am all over the place, aren't I?
Old 12-31-07, 02:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you ride hills, you'll have to be in better shape on the Klein. It's lightness and responsiveness will help, but the lowest gear is 39:25, definitely not a spinner.

Old 12-31-07, 03:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
If you ride hills, you'll have to be in better shape on the Klein. It's lightness and responsiveness will help, but the lowest gear is 39:25, definitely not a spinner.
Yeah, I put a 50/34 compact crank on mine. That's still higher gearing than any of my other bikes have but it's adequate for when I ride the Klein.
Old 12-31-07, 03:16 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TruF, Remember not to lose all of your sensibilities because the object of your desire has beautiful blue eyes, er, ..., ah, ... frame.
Old 12-31-07, 05:32 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry, Tom. I'm just playing the field right now. Not ready to commit. And I'm not even saying that my next bike will be my last. Or even sure that there will be a next bike. Oh, wait. What a silly thing to say in this forum.
Old 12-31-07, 06:12 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 1997 Stage Comp, which is one of the pre-trek bikes. I loved* it until I rode it more than 25 miles. It beat me up... it was still fun, lightweight and SO responsive! It's still a great bike, and it fits me most excellent, but it's my last choice to ride. I'm about to strip the components off it and sell the frame, although I may sell the whole thing intact. I'm pondering it right now.

I'm just a steel bike kind of rider, I guess. The Klein is on the complete opposite of the spectrum from the Atlantis, but it's a great counterpoint. Different bikes for different moods.

I got mine off Craig's List. It has a triple derailleur, full Shimano 105. I didn't get a steal ($300), but it was a fair to good price. I had a lot of fun on it.

By the way, I agree with Stapfam. He says the newer Kleins are more gentle, but I would not recommend buying one without going on a good 30-mile ride on one.

Last edited by solveg; 12-31-07 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-31-07, 07:18 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the things to think about on choosing a new bike- Is the type of riding you want to do. I go out on a Sunday and do a 50 to 60 mile ride. So the main priority for me is---I don't know. I want to be able to do the milage without being beaten up. So what sort of bike- A tourer? A comfort bike?- or one that will take the least amount of effort to propel for that 50 or 60 miles?

Main thing when I went roadie was just to get a bike that I would ride. Got a comfort bike and it worked. Then after a while it didn't. Tried a few on test rides and was lucky enough to test ride and then buy the Boreas. A full race geometry bike with a few changes to make it a bit better for the milage I was going to give it. Changes? None really as I got it built up to be suitable. with lightweight wheels that were strong- tyres to suit and the drivetrain and gearing for what I wanted to do and the fit for doing my type of riding with a compromise to suit the body. Luckily- I had enough Bike experience to be able to get a custom build to suit me. This is the way to go but I also have a different view on what sort of bike to have to most of you. It is my view for my body and my style of riding.

Now the Klein that I know is a full race bike with No compromise. It is fast- it is easy to propel but it is also a harsh ride for an Elder body. I think I could take it but then I am used to being kicked by aluminium frames from 15 years of Mountain biking. Whether someone else could take it- I would not like to say. Steel will give a more compliant ride- but would probably build up into a bike that is heavy, Ti is just too expensive for the bike that you do finish up with. CF and you have to like the feel of the frame and this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Hate to say it but you have a lot of test riding to do. Only way to find out what sort of bike will suit you. Not only on manufacturer- but on the different geometry aswell.

So find the local dealers- find out who can give you test rides and go and wear out their rubber and enjoy yourself. Its what most of us did and if you look at my case- Who would have thought 18 months ago- I would be even looking at a road bike- let alone the choice of CF for what is going to be a beater bike for those bad weather days and night riding.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-31-07, 09:47 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You are working your way towards a great realization. There are many types of bikes and many types of riding. And the beautiful thing is that you don't have to choose just one type. You only have to choose which will be the next addition to the fleet. N+1 cannot be ignored.
Old 12-31-07, 09:54 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are more rare than hens teeth around here. Only know one owner. The fade paint is absolutly beautiful. His is and all aluminum and from what he has told me the headtube tends to be longer ala LeMond. The bike weighs less than my all carbon.
Old 12-31-07, 09:56 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dang, reading all this is making me want to keep the Klein....
Old 12-31-07, 10:05 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
N+1 cannot be ignored.
Must resist!

Must resist!

Must obey!

Old 01-01-08, 06:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

[QUOTE=stapfam;5900883]I could take it but then I am used to being kicked by aluminium frames from 15 years of Mountain biking. /QUOTE]

I don't think mountain biking experience applies so much.

When you're mountain biking you tend to slide front to back on the seat and you're up off the saddle a lot for all of the different trail conditions. On a road bike it's sometimes possible to plop yourself in the saddle and stay there for a couple of hours. I think that getting the fit and set up right is a lot more important with a road bike.
Old 01-01-08, 04:24 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by solveg
Dang, reading all this is making me want to keep the Klein....
Note the Klein that TruF is looking at, as well as the one I'm looking at, ride much differently than the one that you own.

Old 01-01-08, 04:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
I had owned 2 Klein Quantums, one a red '89 with the cool downtube shifter bracket, the 2nd a warranty replacement in '96 (sweat corrosion along the TT cable stops). Both were wonderful bikes, and I cannot forgive myself for not getting a 3rd when the '96 frame broke at the very top of the seat tube - a snapped seat post clamp. I replaced the '96 with a Lemond Victoire titanium as a warranty replacement and discovered that while I like the geometry, I was too heavy for titanium (b-bracket flex drives me nuts) as well as an atrocious paint job by Trek (2nd attempt and the pain still flakes off).

I was in the process of considering a carbon replacement as my go-fast bike, either a Specialized, Cannondale Synapse or a Klein and am now greatly saddened to see that Klein has essentially discontinued sales in the US - well actually, Trek has discontinued Klein sales, so screw you Trek, last Trek I buy !.

Kleins were great bikes and the 2 riders I know that have carbon Quantums are in love with the bikes. One of these has had a steady succession of aluminum Kleins and loves the carbon the best. I never had issues with Klein aluminum, mostly as I rarely weigh under 200.

Sad News.

SB
Old 01-01-08, 05:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I am now greatly saddened to see that Klein has essentially discontinued sales in the US - well actually, Trek has discontinued Klein sales, so screw you Trek, last Trek I buy !.
I can't get too upset with Trek over the decision to discontinue Klein sales in the US. To keep the brand alive you have to have sales volume and the demand for aluminum framed bikes in the Klein price range seems to have shifted to carbon fiber. I, for one, would rather see the brand disappear than continue to morph into something less attractive or, alternatively, simply become a Trek under a different name.

I guess like ageing athletes, it's more painful to watch the ones who struggle through their declining years than to miss the ones who quit while they're on top.
Old 01-01-08, 05:47 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Klein moved to CF, but with new Madone and the entire LeMond lineup, what does a company do with Klein? I wonder if any of Klein's designers were involved with the Madone redesign?

Old 01-01-08, 07:12 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the C&V thread, someone wondered what tires I was running on the Klein, thinking that might make a difference.

I don't know much about tires... anyone here use Continental Super Sports 700x25c? They're at 120 psi.
Old 01-01-08, 07:39 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only CA Klein dealer left is in San Diego. I'd love to take one for a nice long ride, but that means first taking a nice long ride to San Diego! Has anyone ever traveled that far just to test ride a bike? I'd like to at least try one before they are gone for good. Guess I could think of a good excuse to get away for a weekend...
Old 01-01-08, 07:52 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts

Thanks for removing the horse.
I will be riding the INDY 500 Tour de Cure.
You will Love Indiana.
What bike do you plan to ride at The Indy Track?
Smile when you ride, I do.
65 Still Alive.
Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.