Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

The day that usually isn't Red Box ride...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-08, 02:09 PM
blarnie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For a day that doesn't usually occur with the regularity of other days, it sure turned out pretty good. First, I took a vacation day. Then I took a ride. I wasn't out the door until almost 11. Nice. Sleeping in to boot. Armed (ha,ha,ha) with only arm warmers for the first time all winter, it was a very pleasant day. I rode up Verdugo to the ACH, cruising up to Clear Creek, seeing a handful of riders coming the other way. I had planned on turning around at this point. But something told me to keep going. So, I doddled up to Red Box. Nothing phenomonal about any of this. Whence, I got to the RB, I filled my bottles and continued up the road a little more.

Now, there was nothing fantastic about this ride, other than the weather, the view, the clean air, the lack of traffic and that I was riding when I would normally be working.

May all your rides be like mine was yesterday.
Old 03-01-08, 06:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Lucky guy! I'd trade work for that anytime, if I could. Is there any snow on the ground up there?
Old 03-01-08, 10:46 PM
Sewellymon

Bikes: S- Works Tarmac, Bianchi Infinito CV, Spot Rollick 27.5'r, YETI ASR 29'r

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am either a wimp or a genius. I hate fog, drizzle and cold. But I wanted to ride up Mt. Wilson today. So I drove, parked, and started my ride a bit beyond Clear Creek Above the fog. Was glorious. Warm in the sun, breezy, a tad chilly in the shade. A whole different world from the glum and gloom below…

Far less traffic on ACH, too (weather keeps the turons and motorcycles away
Old 03-02-08, 11:22 AM
blarnie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's little patches of ice off to the side of the road between the trees. Nothing on the road or even on the side of the road. Road was clear of runoff.
Old 03-02-08, 06:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Sewellymon
So I am either a wimp or a genius. I hate fog, drizzle and cold. But I wanted to ride up Mt. Wilson today. So I drove, parked, and started my ride a bit beyond Clear Creek Above the fog. Was glorious. Warm in the sun, breezy, a tad chilly in the shade. A whole different world from the glum and gloom below…

Far less traffic on ACH, too (weather keeps the turons and motorcycles away
In the summer we drive to Red Box, then ride to Grassy Hollow and back (90 miles), or Wrightwood (over 100). The GH ride has 9000 feet of climbing, a lot of it above the 6000 foot level, so it's cooler than the valley. It's great.
Old 03-02-08, 09:47 PM
Sewellymon

Bikes: S- Works Tarmac, Bianchi Infinito CV, Spot Rollick 27.5'r, YETI ASR 29'r

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea- I read your TR's about those Grassy Hollow rides. This year- I'm IN (albeit towards the back...