Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat adjustment, just getting used to new shoes & pedals, or wrong sized shoe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 04:21 AM
Shytheed Dumas

Bikes: Trek 7000, Road Bike TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I swapped out the used mountain bike pedals and inexpensive shoes for a fresh pair of 105's and Shimano SH-R190 shoes. I started with the cleats perfectly centered front/back and sideways and went for an 18 mile ride. Within the first two miles I had pain running on the edge of the outside of both feet, just behind the pinky toes. The pain started to go away, but by mile 11 the same areas were starting to tingle and for the rest of the ride it was somewhere between no pain and tingling.

I am naturally duck footed with fairly wide feet, shoe size is a 10.5 US / 45 European, which is what I buy for virtually all footwear.

So the question is, which direction do I adjust the cleats, or does this kind of thing work its way out as you get used to the new set up? Or does it indicate a poorly sized shoe that needs to be returned (assuming they can be returned...)?

Last edited by Shytheed Dumas; 03-21-12 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 04:27 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Can't comment on shoe size, but after hundreds of shoe/cleat fittings I can't recall anyone getting set up as you described. Your foot is trying to push out and it's pushing against the shoe and it because of misaligned cleats.

The fastest way to get injured on a road bike, other than crashing, is misaligned cleats/shoes...no joint in your leg is operating the way it should based on your leg alignment and in your case your foot is pushing againt the shoe in an attempt to straighten. You may need a shim, cleats aligned differently....suggest seeing the bike shop fitter if any good.

In the shop I use the exa mple of going to a running store to buy running shoes where they check supination, pronation, etc and then get you shoes for your running method/style.

You might need your heels in more, but the side to side angle is what a good fitter can do for you.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 03-25-12 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 04:36 AM
Shytheed Dumas

Bikes: Trek 7000, Road Bike TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Can't comment on show size, but after hundreds of shoe/cleat fittings I can't recall anyone getting set up as you described.
Starting centered seemed like a reasonable place to start and adjust from, so that's what I did since I wasn't sure of the right way to go about getting started with it.

I hear you on the fit, and I suppose it's time I bite it and get properly fit all the way around... I will say that the new set up helped me pedal with a more efficient and fluid motion, and that it really was all about the weird foot pain and sensation. If I can get rid of that, I think I will be happy with a proper road pedal/shoe set up.

Last edited by Shytheed Dumas; 03-21-12 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:06 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its called a hotspot. I had one for a while...horrible little things.

I saw a podiatrist who created some weird support that stuck onto the outside of my foot past where the hotspot was to take the pressure of the hotspot. It did nothing...then a mate recommended buying some carbon soled shoes.

So I went and bought some top of the line Shimanos and it went away instantly - never came back.

Last edited by Lexi01; 03-21-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:48 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
I just got a pair of Giro Treble shoes and Look Kēo Classics. I centered the cleats exactly as you did and I'm getting the same pain in the same spot as you. My LBS told me to come back and get re-fitted when my pedals came in but I was to anxious to try them out. I guess it really is important to be properly fitted. I will be going back in this Saturday.
Old 03-21-12, 10:21 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't reckon that sort of "instant pain" can be attributed to not be properly fitted to your cleats...

Improper cleat position would most likely result in some sort of gradual progression injury, not a hot spot. I reckon its his shoes...some of us (unfortunately) just have a lower tolerance for stuff like that.