Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

80's MTB: Ross or Nishiki?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 01:33 PM
Parabolous

Bikes: Always

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80's MTB: Ross or Nishiki?

Hi all!

I recently started looking into older MTB's for a commuter bike. I found these two bikes on the local CL, in Albuquerque. They both seem to be mid-80's with similar sizes, frame materials, and components (bullmoose bars and Suntour Power friction shifters). Ross has Shimano DR's and the Nishiki with Suntour. Neither seller will go down in price. I kind of dig the Ross more, paint is better it seems anyway and it's got some cool boss locations. Are either of these even worth asking price?

What do you all think?

Nishiki for $120: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/b...644440084.html

Ross for $150: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/b...643143871.html
Old 07-16-18, 01:49 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah, both probably are. They're both cool, (bullmoose bars and thumb shifters *swoon*) but the Nishiki looks a little rougher.
Old 07-16-18, 02:06 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Which one would fit you better? The Ross is about 1" larger.
Old 07-16-18, 02:15 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Which one would fit you better? The Ross is about 1" larger.
The Ross would be a better fit.
Old 07-16-18, 02:35 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Is that a leather carrying strap on the Ross? Where can I get one of those if so? I vote the Ross bc I’m a paint guy.
Old 07-16-18, 02:48 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Is that a leather carrying strap on the Ross? Where can I get one of those if so? I vote the Ross bc I’m a paint guy.
Apparently a few of the Ross MTB's have bosses for shoulder straps that came with the bikes originally. The seller made their own leather strap in this case. Pretty snazzy!
Old 07-17-18, 05:56 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Iike the fork on the Nishiki but the fit is more important. And that bland color of the Nishiki is not fun. Bullmoose bar years are a plus for both.
Old 07-17-18, 07:52 AM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Iike the fork on the Nishiki but the fit is more important. And that bland color of the Nishiki is not fun. Bullmoose bar years are a plus for both.
I do prefer the Nishiki’s fork more. I’m pretty sure the color is silver whereas I thought it was a champagne like some Univega’s of that time.
Old 07-18-18, 01:27 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
I vote for the Ross. It has much nicer tires (the Nishiki has some center-ridged cheapies). No kickstand like the Nishiki. Better saddle. The 90's STX pieces are nice and will function well. The ergo grips are better than the foam. I also think the double bottle cage mounts on the DT are a cool 80's mtb touch.
Old 07-18-18, 07:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If those bikes have the Suntour XC II pedals on them, they are worth $75 to $100, maybe more. I've sold them for as much as $150 in pristine, complete, no rust, condition. I sold a crusty set, missing dust caps, for $50.
Old 07-18-18, 07:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Well the Ross is a nicer bike it's gone hope you got it. If not the Nishiki is fine for the price and as pointed out the parts are likely worth the asking price or more.
Old 07-18-18, 08:42 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I'm working on one of those Ross Mtb's right now. Really pretty top notch components. The '85 had all Shimano deerhead Tourney XT (1st Gen) components. Mine didn't come with a back wheel, just the hub is $70. The bare frame is a lot heavier than a similar size Reynolds 531 frame, but different purposes and all. Hope you got it, if not, the Nishiki looks like another quality mtb. If you don't get either of them, early Schwinn High Sierras seem like they'd be a good fit for your criteria too.
Old 07-18-18, 09:14 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
If those bikes have the Suntour XC II pedals on them, they are worth $75 to $100, maybe more. I've sold them for as much as $150 in pristine, complete, no rust, condition. I sold a crusty set, missing dust caps, for $50.
Both sets of pedals are just cheap beartraps unfortunately. Would’ve been nice though!
Old 07-18-18, 09:18 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocks in head
I'm working on one of those Ross Mtb's right now. Really pretty top notch components. The '85 had all Shimano deerhead Tourney XT (1st Gen) components. Mine didn't come with a back wheel, just the hub is $70. The bare frame is a lot heavier than a similar size Reynolds 531 frame, but different purposes and all. Hope you got it, if not, the Nishiki looks like another quality mtb. If you don't get either of them, early Schwinn High Sierras seem like they'd be a good fit for your criteria too.
I did pick up the Ross. Too cool to pass up. This one is not so original as I thought. I figured the DR’s weren’t original but it turns out the wheels aren’t either. I cannot find any info to know what year it’s supposed to be or the model. Seller thinks it’s a Mt. Hood but no way of knowing.
Old 07-18-18, 09:21 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up the Ross this afternoon. Turned out the seller works in the building right next to mine, so didn’t have to travel to get it.

I think it’s a pretty rad bike. DR’s and wheels aren’t original but everything else seems to be. The fit is much better than I expected so that’s a plus for my long legs but short reach weirdness.

I’ll get some pics up tomorrow hopefully since I left it in my office.

Last edited by Parabolous; 07-18-18 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 07:12 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Parabolous

I did pick up the Ross. Too cool to pass up. This one is not so original as I thought. I figured the DR’s weren’t original but it turns out the wheels aren’t either. I cannot find any info to know what year it’s supposed to be or the model. Seller thinks it’s a Mt. Hood but no way of knowing.
Here are some things I found useful when researching what exactly I had with my Ross:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oss-bikes.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...er-theory.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-any-good.html
Late 1980's Ross Mt. Bike Models - differences- Mtbr.com

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial numbers are a very common format. The first number is almost certainly the year. The 2nd letter could be a month or fortnight indicator. If it is a month, then R3J would represent October 1983 and that is late enough in the year for production of 1984 models to have started, which would explain the black logo.

It would certainly be a coincidence if these were Japanese manufactured, given the R prefix. The Mt. Whitney may have been the only Ross manufactured in Japan during a particular model year but the evidence suggests it wasn't always so. I have a 1983 road test of a Ross Hi-Tech (note article spelling as High Tech). The model isn't stated but the bicycle is chromed and the component mix matches a Mt, Whitney, as shown in the 1983 Ross advertisements in the same issue. This article specifically mentions the Ross built frame, so I believe all the R-code serial numbers are Ross manufacture.
Looking forward to pictures when you get around to it
Old 07-20-18, 12:40 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocks in head
Awesome links! Thanks for the information.
Old 07-20-18, 12:53 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright so here are some quick and dirty photos of the bike. Apologies for the size of the pictures. Looks like from what I read about the serial numbers I have a 1984 frame. There is some surface rust around the frame, notably the fork crown and braze on threads. The RD isn't getting into the small cog but it looks like a limit screw issue. The STX RD has a date code of TJ which I believe is October of 1995. The seat post skewer is tightened down all the way so I'm a little concerned that the tube has been ovalized. The MTB decal is a little faded but it's Ishiwata Steel with Tange Hi-Tensile fork blades. Maybe this is a Japanese Ross?

Old 07-20-18, 02:19 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I had a chrome Mt. Hood, it was a beast. Very heavy stem and bars. Good canti brakes, I think it had Suntour components, including a triple. It would be good for a commuter, but it beat me up, and vice versa, as a mountain bike.
Old 07-20-18, 03:41 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Nice bike based on the markings and details the frame is US built 83 and the fork is likely Tange made inf Japan. While they likely work great with the Suntour power thumbies the STX road DR's look look really out of place I would likely change them for some nice early DX or LX MTB stuff which can be found fairly easy and cheap the Suntour stuff is getting pricey and a bit hard to find.