Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Mercury tubulars for track?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 01-09-19, 10:17 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I've had a bunch of roadie friends who raced Mercury wheels on the road, but does anyone have experience racing their tubs on track? If so, what do you think of them?

Thank you, and....

Old 01-10-19, 04:36 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I have had some come through my garage (on other folks bikes) in the past (fwiw, a couple of years ago, so not 100% sure if all this is up to date) and basically they are just badged up Taiwan-made wheels.

They seemed perfectly serviceable, but you are paying a pretty nice premium for them to say Mercury on them.
Old 01-12-19, 02:34 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by Morelock
I have had some come through my garage (on other folks bikes) in the past (fwiw, a couple of years ago, so not 100% sure if all this is up to date) and basically they are just badged up Taiwan-made wheels.

They seemed perfectly serviceable, but you are paying a pretty nice premium for them to say Mercury on them.
I guess the key question for me is really focused on the tubular Mercury hoops (since builds can include different spoke and hub combos):

Are the hoops strong/durable and stiff? If so, that's a good foundation I think, especially for track.
Old 01-12-19, 04:13 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
In this day and age, pretty much any hoop you buy is going to be strong/durable. The days of exploding carbon rims is pretty much behind us. Building carbon wheels isn't terribly demanding for even a basic factory (sans the brake track). I'm sure the Mercury hoops will be more than sufficiently strong/durable. Stiffness... that's more a product of the hub/spoke combination/count.
Old 01-12-19, 10:03 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by Morelock
In this day and age, pretty much any hoop you buy is going to be strong/durable. The days of exploding carbon rims is pretty much behind us. Building carbon wheels isn't terribly demanding for even a basic factory (sans the brake track). I'm sure the Mercury hoops will be more than sufficiently strong/durable. Stiffness... that's more a product of the hub/spoke combination/count.
Sounds reasonable enough.