Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Suicide Levers" Really???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Suicide Levers" Really???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 07:43 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
What would happen was you'd notice something felt odd or loose and look down, see that the right side of bars was unconnected. Full compensation by left side had already occurred. No one ever panicked. It could take a minute to extricate oneself from pack but everyone knew what was happening and everyone cooperated. Only new guys were surprised and no one startled..
Truly remarkable nonchalance by everyone.
To achieve such casual competence handlebars must have failed like twigs in a hurricane, and with metronome like regularity en peloton.
Astoundingly bad luck for your cadre.

-Bandera
Old 02-03-19, 07:11 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Some of us with long memories will also recall when Cinelli 'bars were made with soft metal and would droop in a seasons use. Basically replaced annually. Cinelli bars were good but compared to current production none of them were that good.

When reaching down to shift there is no need to think about balance. When grabbing a waterbottle there is no need to calculate and plan, you just grab the bottle. Same for breaking a handlebar. Controlling the bike is automatic. Does not require special skills. Nonchalant? Maybe. The alternative is to throw your hands in the air, scream, drop the bike. Simple choice.

There's a whole litany of these things that are supposed to go wrong and be impossible to handle. Breaking cranks makes you fall?? Striking a pedal launches the bike into next county? Plastic waterbottles cause cancer. Exposed brake cables are just treacherous. Breaking an axle on a freewheel hub does something awful, I am not sure what. And on and on. And the experts endorse all this.

My own take is most enthusiast type riders are sitting so high and forward their bikes are not stable. Many will never have experienced a stable bike. In a tight situation no, you cannot control a tri-bike or a TT bike or any bike set up to mimic that style. Plus they are too busy with GPS and phone to watch the road.
Old 02-03-19, 08:52 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 228 Posts
Reverse action Benelux rear derailleur on my 1958 Sun makes sense to me. If the cable breaks or slips, I get to ride home in the default lowest gear. In modern terms "limp home" mode. You also have to shift with a "suicide" DT shifter but it's much safer because there is only one of them!

Old 02-03-19, 08:52 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Campagnolo Corsa, 1940s. Just reach back, unlatch the hub quick release (!), move the chain with the other lever, then lock the hub again. It required a toothed dropout to keep both sides of the hub aligned.
1947 Legnano (scroll down)

In operation:
Old 02-03-19, 08:57 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I thought you all were crazy, then just yesterday one of my co-workers (young guy, PhD, maybe 30) looks at my bike parked next to my desk, looks at the shift levers and asks, "what are those for?"

Oh, and @Bandera, saw a guy ride into the transition area of a triathlon in Santa Rosa, CA once with one hand holding a broken off piece of handlebar. So, yeah, it happens. Funny thing is he rode the last 12 miles of the race like that, then got off to do his 10k run...
Some things are just not very obvious.

Using a rotary phone:
Old 02-03-19, 10:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Some things are just not very obvious.

Using a rotary phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok
That's funny! I searched for a similar video for a manual typewritter, couldn't find one. Anybody?
Old 02-03-19, 11:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Campagnolo Corsa, 1940s. Just reach back, unlatch the hub quick release (!), move the chain with the other lever, then lock the hub again. It required a toothed dropout to keep both sides of the hub aligned.
that's why I want to build electronic cambio corsa. Parts are getting really expensive though.

I still reach down to the DT to shift occasionally, then I laugh at myself, because I currently have no DT shifters except on my trainer bike, which rarely gets shifted.

I always reached behind the seat stays to wipe my rear tire. And used my fingertips. Even BITD this was considered extremely risky, but I had no issues. Now all my bikes have fenders, and I keep putting off buying tire wipers.
Old 02-03-19, 11:37 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Suicide Levers?,, so for many years I was carelessly risking my life with those Levers and Toe Clips/Straps?
I never knew ..
Old 02-03-19, 09:01 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Reverse action Benelux rear derailleur on my 1958 Sun makes sense to me. If the cable breaks or slips, I get to ride home in the default lowest gear. In modern terms "limp home" mode. You also have to shift with a "suicide" DT shifter but it's much safer because there is only one of them!

I've got the same on my '58 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. Like the derailleur very much, was surprise how well something that old performed. Of course, there is this little matter of running a virtual corncob on the rear due to design limitations. The only mistake I made on restoring mine was using a five speed chain, where I understand I should have used a single speed chain. If I'm not quick on the front change, it'll drop the chain in between the chainwheels, and that's a ***** to get out.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-03-19, 09:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Ah! Another grumpy old men thread. Love it, being on of those.
I don’t know where everyone else here rides.

Over the last three years I have averaged over 5,000 miles a year (I know that is not that much but between surgeries, broken bones and other health issues my time on the bike has been curtailed). And yet in all of my rides I have never come across a group of riders yelling out any such things at me.

Either the riders in my area are very considerate, or they respect my greying beard, or these stories are mostly made up.
Old 02-03-19, 09:51 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Originally Posted by sykerocker
I've got the same on my '58 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. Like the derailleur very much, was surprise how well something that old performed. Of course, there is this little matter of running a virtual corncob on the rear due to design limitations. The only mistake I made on restoring mine was using a five speed chain, where I understand I should have used a single speed chain. If I'm not quick on the front change, it'll drop the chain in between the chainwheels, and that's a ***** to get out.
I run a 5 speed chain on mine and the old chain on it was a worn out 5 speed as well. It actually has never happened to me. I get the virtual corncob comment. I've often referred to the Sun as "single speed with five levels of difficulty"! Do you have pics of the '58 Lenton on BF? Love to see it.
Old 02-04-19, 09:15 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I've always thought "Suicide Levers" were the horizontal brake lever extensions on older low-end road bikes. They were called this because they offered poor stopping power compared to the main vertically oriented brake levers.

Isn't this the proper use of "Suicide Lever"?
Old 02-04-19, 09:31 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Suicide levers? Yeah just looking at them is killer.

I rank them right up there with other fine quality components such as stem shifters and dork discs.
Old 02-04-19, 10:32 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I've always thought "Suicide Levers" were the horizontal brake lever extensions on older low-end road bikes. They were called this because they offered poor stopping power compared to the main vertically oriented brake levers.

Isn't this the proper use of "Suicide Lever"?
Yes, and therein lies the joke.

As lostarchitect astutely observed in post #11 , most likely people have heard the term, but never seen actual safety levers. They haven't been a feature on new bikes for around 35 years, and the new generation of riders has never seen them. So the assumption was made that it must be downtube shifters that are suicide levers.
Old 02-04-19, 05:59 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I don’t know where everyone else here rides.

Over the last three years I have averaged over 5,000 miles a year (I know that is not that much but between surgeries, broken bones and other health issues my time on the bike has been curtailed). And yet in all of my rides I have never come across a group of riders yelling out any such things at me.

Either the riders in my area are very considerate, or they respect my greying beard, or these stories are mostly made up.
This is my experience also. Although, when riding my vintage bikes, I am regularly passed by thirty-year-old riders in full team kit who will shout "Ooh! Nice bike!"

Last weekend, on a fine muddy day, I crossed paths with a group gravel ride, lots of carbon, predominately disc brakes. One of the riders shouted at me "Center pull brakes? Come with us!" (OK, I'll admit that it was Otis Guy doing the shouting... and he's been around as long as I have.)
Brent
Old 02-04-19, 06:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
This is my experience also. Although, when riding my vintage bikes, I am regularly passed by thirty-year-old riders in full team kit who will shout "Ooh! Nice bike!"

Last weekend, on a fine muddy day, I crossed paths with a group gravel ride, lots of carbon, predominately disc brakes. One of the riders shouted at me "Center pull brakes? Come with us!" (OK, I'll admit that it was Otis Guy doing the shouting... and he's been around as long as I have.)
Brent
My experience too when riding the Bottecchia or the Master. Seriously, most if not all bike riders are a polite bunch. I have never been harrased by other riders. Guys driving white diesel Ford trucks are a different matter (OK it can be any brand of truck).

I used to have center pull brakes on an old Schwinn Le Tour, they worked just fine.
Old 02-04-19, 06:19 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
This story is 100% true. Really, what incentive would I have to make something like this up. If you don't believe me that's your problem.

Of course, almost all comments I get on the road are friendly "Cool old bike" or "what is that?" sorts of things. Most common of course are the usual good mornings and complaints about headwinds, weather, etc...
Old 02-04-19, 08:25 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
I run a 5 speed chain on mine and the old chain on it was a worn out 5 speed as well. It actually has never happened to me. I get the virtual corncob comment. I've often referred to the Sun as "single speed with five levels of difficulty"! Do you have pics of the '58 Lenton on BF? Love to see it.

I've had this bike about ten years now, it's one of my earlier restorations. The wheels are now period (this photo was taken immediately after the build was done, but I hadn't come up with the acceptable hubs at the time) correct, but not stock. Everything else was done to factory spec. I'd gotten the bike about 60% complete, no wheels, fenders or rear derailleur. Fenders are old Blumel Populars, which is the closest I could fudge to original. Love riding the bike, I really enjoy the slack angles. Catching up to a ride is usually an enjoyable time, after the rest of the rider's eyes stop bugging out. In most rides I've been on, the bike has been older than 90% of my co-riders. And I'm normally riding blackwall tires on the bike, as I've found that the rims won't hold gumwalls on at anything over 70psi.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-04-19, 10:19 PM
browngw 

Originally Posted by sykerocker

I've had this bike about ten years now, it's one of my earlier restorations. The wheels are now period (this photo was taken immediately after the build was done, but I hadn't come up with the acceptable hubs at the time) correct, but not stock. Everything else was done to factory spec. I'd gotten the bike about 60% complete, no wheels, fenders or rear derailleur. Fenders are old Blumel Populars, which is the closest I could fudge to original. Love riding the bike, I really enjoy the slack angles. Catching up to a ride is usually an enjoyable time, after the rest of the rider's eyes stop bugging out. In most rides I've been on, the bike has been older than 90% of my co-riders. And I'm normally riding blackwall tires on the bike, as I've found that the rims won't hold gumwalls on at anything over 70psi.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful old bike. My old 58 Sun is still 5 years younger than I am!