Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'95 Kona Kula Fork Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'95 Kona Kula Fork Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 07:30 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Forge Forward or Forget the Fork?

Greetings bike nerds,
I have some questions regarding a recent purchase; thought y'all would probably have some helpful suggestions.

I just bought a '95 Kona Kula frame on eBay - it is being shipped so the photos are what I could pull from the listing.

The seller does not know what kind of fork this is but does know that it needs a rebuild (or replacement if it's not worth it).

I intend to keep this thing as [relatively] light as possible without spending the big big bucks (i.e. NOS parts or used good condition), however, despite being an avid tinkerer I have zero experience with suspension forks.

So the questions:

Any idea what kind of fork it is?

If it's scrap should I go for an old school suspension fork of the era (or a bit newer) and learn some new bike stuff or stick to a good and simple rigid rig (old or new)?

Either way I could use some help in what to keep my eyes out for - it's a brave new world for me.

Thanks for the help y'all

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-06-19 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Whoops
Old 05-06-19, 10:14 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Looks like a Halson Inversion fork. It was a very nice fork back in the day and I believe somewhat sought after now for vintage mtb nerds.

Replacement parts should be available. Like here: https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/halson/halson-inverted-elastomer-refresh-kit.html
Old 05-07-19, 02:22 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The fork boots are pretty important on those things if I recall. Actually ran across a NOS pair of the boots recently at a bike shop. I left them behind as they are that slightly transparent rubber stuff that doesn't always age the best.

Also I have the proper Kona canti hanger for the rear if you need one. It's a sort of second seat collar that sits under the normal one, and the cable runs through it and a section of cable liner.
Old 05-07-19, 06:10 AM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Looks like a Halson Inversion fork. It was a very nice fork back in the day and I believe somewhat sought after now for vintage mtb nerds.

Replacement parts should be available. Like here: https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...fresh-kit.html
Well I'll be; that's interesting, thanks for the info. I'll probably end up restoring it out of pure curiosity.

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-07-19 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 06:12 AM
lorenzo_de_leon

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
The fork boots are pretty important on those things if I recall. Actually ran across a NOS pair of the boots recently at a bike shop. I left them behind as they are that slightly transparent rubber stuff that doesn't always age the best.

Also I have the proper Kona canti hanger for the rear if you need one. It's a sort of second seat collar that sits under the normal one, and the cable runs through it and a section of cable liner.
Good info, thank you. And yes, I know the canti hanger you speak of; think they called it a "dog collar." My girlfriend has one on her '96 Hahanna.
Old 05-11-19, 05:43 AM
lorenzo_de_leon

So I disassembled the fork a bit and the lower legs are packed solid with melted elastomer crud. Also one of the skewers is broken. I think I may have to look for an alternative fork...

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-11-19 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 08:02 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
If you decide to go rigid, try looking for the Project Two forks that came on Konas of this era. Just make sure geometry is ok though.
Old 05-11-19, 10:21 AM
lorenzo_de_leon

Originally Posted by 2cam16
If you decide to go rigid, try looking for the Project Two forks that came on Konas of this era. Just make sure geometry is ok though.
That's my first choice for a rigid fork; guess I could steal my girlfriend's Hahanna P2 fork...[she'd kill me]

I have been thinking about dipping my toes in the suspension waters - any suggestions for an affordable, light-weight alternative to the now extinct Halson?
Old 05-11-19, 04:01 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I have a spare P2 off of my Cinder Cone. Long story short I couldn't get the frozen seatpost off so off to storage the frame and fork went.
Not sure if it will be the right geometry though. You can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know if you're interested then send me the measurements you need and I'll check next week if it will work with yours.
Old 05-12-19, 04:02 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I have a spare P2 off of my Cinder Cone. Long story short I couldn't get the frozen seatpost off so off to storage the frame and fork went.
Not sure if it will be the right geometry though. You can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know if you're interested then send me the measurements you need and I'll check next week if it will work with yours.
Thank you for the offer! I'm going over my options at the moment and haven't quite settled on which direction to go but I will definitely keep that in mind. The Halson has a 7" steerer, threaded 1 1/8th.
Likes For lorenzo_de_leon:
Old 05-22-19, 08:50 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Welp, after finding myself completely overwhelmed looking for a suitable suspension fork (including multiple trips to various LBSs), I decided to give the Halson a go.

Cleaned out the melted elastomers (soaked them in gasoline first) and rebuilt the broken skewer with a 1/8th in. metal rod purchased from the hardware store.

Lastly and most importantly, picked up some new gummies from suspensionforkparts.net - thank you @TenGrainBread - and here we are:

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-22-19 at 09:15 PM.
Likes For lorenzo_de_leon:
Old 05-22-19, 09:35 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Wow! Adventurous! Hope it works out.
Old 06-15-19, 10:32 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

She's done! I have only basic knowledge of how this whole suspension thing is supposed to work but I think the Halson is where it needs to be as far as preload and sag and all that stuff I barely understand...

Picked up some of those neoprene lizard skin fork protectors in place of actual boots - I think they'll work - real test will be the first trail ride in a few days.

Old 06-16-19, 06:24 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Nice job!
Old 01-14-20, 01:28 PM
Nethengeic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Halson Inversion Open Bath Conversion

Yesterday I found a beat-up Inversion attached to an old DB Response Sport. I have the basic parts, just missing the boots and the rubber "HD" covers. I then promptly disassembled my Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb and found the springs to be close to the correct length. I'm going to add seals to the fork by machining out the uppers, and then somehow fix the problem with the arch attaching. Then I need to chop the Z2's open bath damper cartridge (already out) and remove one glued-in leg and install it. So this won't be easy, but in the end I'll have arguably the most insane retro fork ever built. Pics coming in a few weeks. Plus, I'm years younger than anyone else to (A) have a Bomber and a Halson and (B) to be attempting this.

Vladic
Old 01-14-20, 06:32 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I have a pair of the boots in my parts stash now. Not entirely sure they would be good for a rider, little old/stiff feeling. Let me know if you want them.
Old 01-14-20, 06:56 PM
rudymexico

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Nice to see those Inversion forks running