Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Di2. GRX or Ultegra?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 08:28 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

Currently running mechanical Ultegra 8020 Hydro drivetrain on my Revolt Advanced 0. I would like to upgrade to Di2 and wondering if there is any advantage going with GRX instead of Ultegra? My crank will be an Easton EC90SL with 46-30 with an 11-34 cassette. So it comes down to front and rear derailleurs, and of course, shifters.
Old 07-17-19, 08:53 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
A)The Ultegra RD won't have a clutched RD, useful for maintaining chain tension and preventing slap off-pavement.

B) The shifters have very different ergonomics/shapes from the road parts. Whether that is a good thing or bad no one knows--AFAIK there are no in-the-wild reviews/photos yet: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...t/grx-di2.html

C) FD is made for the new crank spacing...how much it matters IRL, I don't know.

OTOH I doubt the GRX parts will be consumer available for another month at least.
Old 07-17-19, 09:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A)The Ultegra RD won't have a clutched RD, useful for maintaining chain tension and preventing slap off-pavement.
The RD-RX805 is an Ultegra Di2 derailleur with clutch.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-RX805-GS.html

-Tim-
Old 07-18-19, 09:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'd get Ultegra based solely on the fact that GRX is fugly.
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-18-19, 09:40 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Just got an email that said GRX will allegedly start shipping in August.
Old 07-18-19, 10:34 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't have any issues with chain on a short cage ultegra. With a long cage - it might be more of an issue.
Old 07-21-19, 07:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
The real question is: why do you want to upgrade to Di2? What is the mechanical groupset lacking that you think you will gain from electronic shifting?

The reason I ask: I have Di2 on a new bike… And aside from the “gee whiz“ factor of electronic shifting, I can’t say that it really works any better than my 105 bike. But it sure did cost a lot more money. .
Old 07-28-19, 10:08 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The real question is: why do you want to upgrade to Di2? What is the mechanical groupset lacking that you think you will gain from electronic shifting?

The reason I ask: I have Di2 on a new bike… And aside from the “gee whiz“ factor of electronic shifting, I can’t say that it really works any better than my 105 bike. But it sure did cost a lot more money. .
This for sure.

When I travel I rent bikes when I can to try out different bikes and the last 2 times I had Di2 it was ok but there were some minor issues.

One would always drop to the small ring up front when cross chaining which was annoying especially when it was for a very small distance over the top of a hill. I'm sure this can be turned off in the settings and if it was my bike I'd have it dialed in.

I didnt really like the feel of Di2. Granted this was some 1st edition wired Di2 setup and probably a bit used.

That being said, 2 different guys in our group had Di2 issues over the past 6 months that required a visit to the LBS for them. No issues with mechanical for the rest of us.

Would I put Di2 on my bike or buy one with it? Absolutely. Would I spend twice as much as a mechanical group for it? Absolutely not.

I know this isnt anywhere near the answers you were looking for... so back to the topic.

If budget is not an issue and I didnt want to wait I would go with Ultegra including the clutched RD and obviously hydro brakes.

When the GRX group becomes available (if ever) I would then check it out and see if any items were worth swapping out on my bike. I'm curious about the brifters on the new groupset. Your already committed to an Easton Crank so not sure there is a benefit to swapping to a GRX one. And then the derailleur but not sure it will be a better performer than an Ultegra Clutched derailleur.

My 2 cents from the monkey bench.

-Sean
Old 07-29-19, 04:22 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I know this isnt anywhere near the answers you were looking for... so back to the topic.

If budget is not an issue and I didnt want to wait I would go with Ultegra including the clutched RD and obviously hydro brakes.

-Sean
he already has that! LOL
Old 07-29-19, 06:20 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

It remains to be seen whether GRX Di2 will work with road Di2 components. It isn't a given.

Shimano lists MTB, road and gravel as different series. We know that Di2 components from the MTB and road series can't be used together - it is blocked in software and the system dies.

If Shimano continues this behavior then Di2 from gravel and road series will not function together.

Once the tinkering starts, we may find that running one GRX Di2 component might require that all Di2 components also be GRX just like we are required to run all road or all MTB today.

-Tim-
Old 07-29-19, 06:32 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It remains to be seen whether GRX Di2 will work with road Di2 components. It isn't a given.

Shimano lists MTB, road and gravel as different series. We know that Di2 components from the MTB and road series can't be used together - it is blocked in software and the system dies.

If Shimano continues this behavior then Di2 from gravel and road series will not function together.

Once the tinkering starts, we may find that running one GRX Di2 component might require that all Di2 components also be GRX just like we are required to run all road or all MTB today.

-Tim-
They do have the GRX parts added to the Di2 compatibility chart now (v3.4.3). Note the asterisk next to RX817 specifying 1X only.
Old 07-29-19, 06:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

They do have the GRX parts added to the Di2 compatibility chart now (v3.4.3). Note the asterisk next to RX817 specifying 1X only.
OK. There you have it. It no longer remains to be seen and I withdraw post number 10. Thanks Marcus!

That RD-RX817 is interesting and if you are thinking what I'm thinking, man, I'd like to get my hands on one and try it with a 2x system and 42 tooth cassette.

-Tim-
Old 07-29-19, 07:35 AM
Metieval

We know that Di2 components from the MTB and road series can't be used together - it is blocked in software and the system dies.

-Tim-
that is crazy, on Shimano's part.

MTB RD coupled with di2 road levers would be a SRAM killer. for 1x gravel builds
Old 07-29-19, 08:31 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

OK. There you have it. It no longer remains to be seen and I withdraw post number 10. Thanks Marcus!

That RD-RX817 is interesting and if you are thinking what I'm thinking, man, I'd like to get my hands on one and try it with a 2x system and 42 tooth cassette.

-Tim-
Great minds, mi amigo
Old 07-29-19, 09:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Great minds, mi amigo
The asterisk on the compatibility chart is like an invitation.

-Tim-
Old 07-29-19, 01:40 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
that is crazy, on Shimano's part.

MTB RD coupled with di2 road levers would be a SRAM killer. for 1x gravel builds

-Tim-
I haven't tried this personally but I do know the S-Works Diverge uses DA road Di2 levers with an XTR derailleur.

I almost bought a lower end Diverge and swapped in something similar with Ultegra and XT components. Both shops I was dealing with didn't see this as a problem.

???

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239529-154308
Old 07-29-19, 02:00 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I haven't tried this personally but I do know the S-Works Diverge uses DA road Di2 levers with an XTR derailleur.

I almost bought a lower end Diverge and swapped in something similar with Ultegra and XT components. Both shops I was dealing with didn't see this as a problem.

???

I could be wrong, but I believe the rule is that Di2 shifters will work with anything, but what you can't do is mix MTB and Road derailleurs, e.g. a road FD and mountain RD won't work together in the same network. But if you swapped in a mountain FD, the road shifters would then work fine (I'm not sure how well the mountain FDs work with road cranksets though). Since a 1x drivetrain has no FD, that apparently satisfies the no-mixing rule.
Likes For Metaluna:
Old 07-29-19, 02:06 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

-Tim-
Does the current Di2 RX RD not work with a 42T? I'm running the mechanical RX RD with a 50/34 11-40 2x setup with some room to spare still
Old 07-29-19, 02:25 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
I could be wrong, but I believe the rule is that Di2 shifters will work with anything, but what you can't do is mix MTB and Road derailleurs, e.g. a road FD and mountain RD won't work together in the same network. But if you swapped in a mountain FD, the road shifters would then work fine (I'm not sure how well the mountain FDs work with road cranksets though). Since a 1x drivetrain has no FD, that apparently satisfies the no-mixing rule.
Ok, I heard the same thing about mixing derailers too. 1x with Di2 would be a nice set up depending on the cassette.

I'm still on the fence about the 1x on my Diverge. Cassette is too gappy, I may just swap in a 2x system. I'm looking into the GRX Di2 kit to see if I want to go that way.
Old 07-29-19, 04:14 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

The asterisk on the compatibility chart is like an invitation.

-Tim-
A $320USD invitation. 15% more expensive than the RX805 it supersedes. Ooof. Would royally suck to spend the money only to have it be firmware blocked from working. Product pics it looks like the RX815 and RX817 use different idler pulleys--RX817 uses a tooth-ier pulley unlike the rest of their "road" products.
Old 07-29-19, 05:27 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Bryan C.

???

good to know!

MY 90's hybrid flat bar is set up with XT saint and XT 11-36 10s. with a wolftooth 130 bcd 42T chainring.

it is super smooth! as in it makes SRAM 1x stuff not very desirable at all.

Thus for a Gravel bike 1x, and to stay with Shimano. then Di2 is where it is at but only by mixing MTB RD with Road levers.
Old 07-29-19, 05:29 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
I can confirm this is accurate. I run DA shifters 1x with XTR RD. Works like a dream.
Likes For blazin:
Old 07-30-19, 07:17 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

@blazin and @Bryan C., thank you.

I stand corrected and educated.

-Tim-
Old 07-30-19, 07:46 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Here's an outdated but still useful article on Gravel Cyclist about Di2 compatibility issues:

https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-te...road-shifters/

Two years ago, the inability to mix MTB RD with road FD was a missed opportunity. With only compact cranks available and most road RDs limited to 32 or 34 cassettes max, there were few if any ways to assemble a 2x, Di2 system with gearing below 1:1.

Today, with the availability of the RX and now GRX groups, as well as the growing number of "adventure" sub-compact chainrings/cranksets, you should be able to put together a 2x drivetrain with a below 1:1 low-end pretty easily.

Interestingly, SRAM etap AXS also makes this mistake. The road cassettes top out at 33 and the Eagle RD cannot be run with the road FD. You'd think they would have learned. (Not to mention that the road FD's battery eats into tire clearance.)

I believe that electronic shifting is a great solution for gravel riding. No more worrying about gunking up shift cables. It just works. In all conditions. I've submerged my Di2 RD, run it through mud, had it coated in ice and it's handled it all. But, thus far, component makers haven't really understood the unique requirements for gravel drivetrains. Hopefully, GRX Di2 will be a step in the right direction.
Old 07-30-19, 01:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
This for sure.

When I travel I rent bikes when I can to try out different bikes and the last 2 times I had Di2 it was ok but there were some minor issues.

One would always drop to the small ring up front when cross chaining which was annoying especially when it was for a very small distance over the top of a hill. I'm sure this can be turned off in the settings and if it was my bike I'd have it dialed in.

I didnt really like the feel of Di2. Granted this was some 1st edition wired Di2 setup and probably a bit used.

That being said, 2 different guys in our group had Di2 issues over the past 6 months that required a visit to the LBS for them. No issues with mechanical for the rest of us.

Would I put Di2 on my bike or buy one with it? Absolutely. Would I spend twice as much as a mechanical group for it? Absolutely not.

When the GRX group becomes available (if ever) I would then check it out and see if any items were worth swapping out on my bike. I'm curious about the brifters on the new groupset. Your already committed to an Easton Crank so not sure there is a benefit to swapping to a GRX one. And then the derailleur but not sure it will be a better performer than an Ultegra Clutched derailleur.

My 2 cents from the monkey bench.

-Sean
FYI: That is just a shift mode called Synchro. A couple button pushes (on a junction box) will switch it to semi-synchro or the full manual control. I prefer full manual.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.