Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

bailout bill, money for commuting, who's getting it?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

bailout bill, money for commuting, who's getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 11:04 AM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Social conservatives give us fiscal conservatives a bad name. America needs a third "right-wing-Christian-family-values-party" for all the crazies to rally around. Maybe then they'll stop meddling with grown up politics. I nominate Palin to lead it.

easy there spanky, the country was founded on "right-wing-Christian-family-values-party" principles....
Old 02-05-09, 11:06 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
If $20 actually made a difference perhaps.
$240 a year what I have budgeted for chains & tires.

if you don't want your's Ill take it, thanks! I do accept Paypal.
Old 02-05-09, 11:13 AM
ibcrewin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this something the employer is responsible for? or is it something we fill out when we do our taxes?
Old 02-05-09, 11:14 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcrewin
Is this something the employer is responsible for? or is it something we fill out when we do our taxes?
THe employer is responsible and must offer and run the program.
Old 02-05-09, 11:22 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy
$240 a year what I have budgeted for chains & tires.

if you don't want your's Ill take it, thanks! I do accept Paypal.
For some strange reason I don't think it works that way.
Old 02-05-09, 11:36 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just feels like the wrong time to be making ANY waves at work. I get a strong feeling they are doing everything they can to avoid laying even more of us off. It is not so much out of fear as it is out of respect for the organzationand its employees during a very hard time.
Old 02-05-09, 12:20 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Hmm, your possibly unintended insult notwithstanting; as an American voter who is inclined to favor conservative family values, I also find it frustrating that I must chose between my conservative moral convictions and my more liberal economic and goverment beliefs. There is no middle ground here. I think most moral conservatives tend to vote along those lines regardless of whatever the economic and political consequences of that vote (in fact, I doubt most moral conservatives even give a rip about or are aware of anything else. Sadly, most of my friends who loudly proclaim themselves "conservative" really just mean that they support traditional family values and are largely ignorant of and apathetic toward most other political issues).

For me, it is not that simple. I believe it is just as big a sin to deny children healthcare as it is to permit abortion. So, how in the heck is a moral conservative who is economically and politically liberal supposed to vote? I suppose one just has to weigh the relevance of the respective issues and vote according to conscience.

+1 for Sawtooth!
Old 02-05-09, 12:39 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I asked ... my state agency said it would look into it.

After six weeks, I got an update. Here's the good news: "We're still looking into it."

I think I can tell where this is headed.
Old 02-05-09, 12:51 PM
pipes
S E Michigan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=modernjess;8307614]I doubt many people or companies are going to bother. Just my opinion.

On the other hand I do believe it is an important albeit small foothold in the tax code. Federal recognition of bike commuting is a start, and the publicity is good.

Also anything that pisses off the as@h#*e conservatives as much as this does is a good thing

IAM A a!@#$%hole CONSERVATIVE AND I like the idea . Some of us conservatives ride bikes .
Old 02-05-09, 12:53 PM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcrewin
It's a $20 per month per commuting employee deduction for the employer, in compensation or compensation for benefits that they provide to bike commuting employees. It doesn't mean at all that the commuter gets an extra $20 in his pocket; for example if the company spends bucks to put in bike racks, or showers/changing rooms, they can write off $20 per month for each employee that uses it.

In the same manner, the deduction for companies who provide bus fare or public transportation tokens to their employees is $120 per month. The kicker is, you can't claim both, even if you ride your bike to or from the bus stop and back.

As many have noted, it sounds good when you read about it, but it doesn't really mean a lot to Joe Cyclist in terms of any extra $$.
Old 02-05-09, 12:54 PM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
I asked ... my state agency said it would look into it.

After six weeks, I got an update. Here's the good news: "We're still looking into it."

I think I can tell where this is headed.

In most cases State agencies don't pay taxes, so there's nothing they can deduct.
Old 02-05-09, 01:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I have to join the don't want or care crowd. Why you want to give tax dollars for something that can be cheap and simple to do and basically tax Americans to do it is beyond me. I guess those 'stimulus dollars' fell from Heaven too. I live a mile from Idaho where the laws don't even merit timely notification for many layoffs etc and they call it "right to work". It is a dream and blessing for me to be able to ride the bikes I truly love and there are many I know who cannot ride ANY.

Like it or not, there were stupid businesses, scam artists and the people who love them out there and somebody has to pay for sloth and stupidity. Some things have to fall apart and some will fall down.

That and OBAMA'S bill is not even passed, not even signed yet. You are all talking about some bill from last year and can anybody tell me which one much less if it passed.

This has Snopes.com written all over it. We already went over this on the Idaho Statesman boards I believe two or three months ago.
Old 02-05-09, 01:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
+1 for Sawtooth!
+2 Sawtooth lives in Boise...HP, Micron have layoffs and shenanigan, local restaurants and shops are dying like flies plus a few chain stores. Unemployment is getting to be so bad it's silly no laughing and the governor ordered statewide rollbacks, including education.

Here in nearby Ontario, Oregon we are working to keep our small businesses in gear but the otherwise halfway recovered downtown is still seeing lots of turnover making it seem as though it's more of an effort to keep the landlords paying the loans than a business initiative.

We have no sales tax but if gasoline goes back over $2/gallon and stays that's probably a moot point. They have Wally Worlds too.
Old 02-05-09, 01:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by acroy
easy there spanky, the country was founded on "right-wing-Christian-family-values-party" principles....

No, no, noooooooo!

We hopped a slow boat because of some old tightwad Puritans. They aren't liable for any mutations.
Old 02-05-09, 01:37 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Native American I say this country was founded based on <censored>

I jest.. well except that I am part Native American.. Can we get back to bashing the bike bill and how silly it is.. Or how great it is or bike bike bike... look a pretty bike
Old 02-05-09, 02:17 PM
mangosalsa
Soul filled with grease

Bikes: Early Surly XCheck;1960 Schwinn Speedster;1996 Giant CroMo Camper;1986 Fuji

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a contractor. They gave us all a 10% pay cut in October. Asking for this would cause an amount of laughter so damaging that the walls of our lab would fall in on all of us. So I don't think I'll put anyone's life at risk just yet. I'll
keep riding my bike and the bus without accepting anything for it. Tax break, credit, thank yous, and so on.
Old 02-05-09, 02:19 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
No, no, noooooooo!

We hopped a slow boat because of some old tightwad Puritans. They aren't liable for any mutations.
I thought the people who hopped the boat were the tightwad puritans.
Old 02-05-09, 02:23 PM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I thought the people who hopped the boat were the tightwad puritans.
About half of them. At least on THAT boat. A lot of the other boats didn't have any.
Old 02-05-09, 02:24 PM
lightbulb
More than 60 watts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The consulting firm that I work for agreed to "reimburse me $20/month for bike commuting". I just need to submit an expense statement each month to do it.

The only problem is, I think they are taking this as giving me a really really really small raise. They don't seem interested in dealing with the tax issues associate with this, even though it would probably help them out (slightly). They're a smaller firm of about 120 people, and I'm the only one who bike commutes more than 60% of the time, especially during the winter.

Should I take the money even if it's not going to be counted in the company's taxes? I'd like to be counted so that our legislators know that someone is taking advantage of this. Should I push the issue and try to get them to do the work to include it in their tax preparation? Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-09, 02:28 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am liking this thread. "Stimulating" in multiple ways

And you can add SUPERVALU to that list of companies, Rollfast.
Old 02-05-09, 02:34 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lightbulb

Should I take the money even if it's not going to be counted in the company's taxes? I'd like to be counted so that our legislators know that someone is taking advantage of this. Should I push the issue and try to get them to do the work to include it in their tax preparation? Any suggestions?
Times being what they are....I know what I would do. I would take the money gratefully and not push the issue in any other way. Having been through 2 rounds of layoffs in 6 months, I am a BIG FAN of laying low right now.
Old 02-06-09, 12:06 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mangosalsa
I'm a contractor. They gave us all a 10% pay cut in October. Asking for this would cause an amount of laughter so damaging that the walls of our lab would fall in on all of us. So I don't think I'll put anyone's life at risk just yet. I'll
keep riding my bike and the bus without accepting anything for it. Tax break, credit, thank yous, and so on.
Where I work my office mate, who lives less than a 1/4 mile from where I live drives into work every day and receives a $180 tax free parking credit per month at a local parking lot paid by our employer (and he pays an additional $180/month). So he costs our employer $2200 per year so he can drive to work. As do most of the employees. Those that don't drive receive a tax deductible public transit credit.

I have no problem with the public transit credit but if there's anything that's laughable it's that they pay out more than $2000 per year for employees to drive to work! I have no problem taking the 5 minutes to request my $240 for the year from any employer stupid enough to shell out that much cash for driving.

And to those who don't see it as all that much money- for 5 minutes of paperwork I'll take $240 I would otherwise not have.
Old 02-06-09, 12:35 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Hmm, your possibly unintended insult notwithstanting; as an American voter who is inclined to favor conservative family values, I also find it frustrating that I must chose between my conservative moral convictions and my more liberal economic and goverment beliefs. There is no middle ground here. I think most moral conservatives tend to vote along those lines regardless of whatever the economic and political consequences of that vote (in fact, I doubt most moral conservatives even give a rip about or are aware of anything else. Sadly, most of my friends who loudly proclaim themselves "conservative" really just mean that they support traditional family values and are largely ignorant of and apathetic toward most other political issues).

For me, it is not that simple. I believe it is just as big a sin to deny children healthcare as it is to permit abortion. So, how in the heck is a moral conservative who is economically and politically liberal supposed to vote? I suppose one just has to weigh the relevance of the respective issues and vote according to conscience.
This is a great post. Your points are noted.
Old 02-06-09, 08:33 AM
DesnaePhoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My HR checked into it. She discovered it only counts for businesses that are already doing mass transit money.

Which rules us out. And since I'm the only one who commutes by bike, there won't be any changes soon.
Old 02-06-09, 11:31 PM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for the state and my HR department lady just looked at me funny when I asked. I'd gladly take $20/month but I'm not going to push too hard about it. $20 buys a pretty decent steak too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.