Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER flashlight thread - recommendations pls!

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 12:31 PM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Help me spend some $$ on new flashlights please!

I commute a lot at night, country & city. Around 1hr roundtrip.

For reference, I’m currently using Fenix P3D’s and really like the beam pattern. Maybe a touch more spill. But I want it 2-3 times brighter and hopefully better runtime.

-So here’s what I’m after:
2 identical flashlights (2=more respect from cars)
p7 or MC-E
1x18650 batteries each

-Only 2 modes necessary:
Hi: Regulated, constant output 80-90+ minutes
Med or Low: 50-70% of Hi with longer runtime

-More of a “throw” than a “flood” – I ride at decent speed, I like to have a nice throw ahead of me with enough spill to keep me aware

-Good quality
-Keep it under $100 each hopefully...

Any suggestions? I know the longish runtime on Hi, and the need for a strong Low, will limit choices. So far the only suggestion I’ve had for a good quality, longer-runtime light is this Trustfire from Kaidomain:
https://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=5374 A forum member says it got 90+ minutes, and it has a very strong Lo.

Ultimate lumens is not very important, I'd rather have 10-20 more minutes runtime.

I understand most p7 lights are rather floody, generally have 60 minutes on Hi, and have much dimmer Med or Lo power.

There seems to be a huge gap between the "iffy" quality of Dealextreme lights and hi-end $200+ lights... I'd like something comfortable in between, the Fenix price/quality ratio is nice.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks all
Old 02-09-09, 12:48 PM
annc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you taken a look at JetBeam? Here's a comparison of a p7 vs. jetbeam. Since you're planning on buying two lights, you can get both.
Old 02-09-09, 01:05 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by annc
Have you taken a look at JetBeam? Here's a comparison of a p7 vs. jetbeam. Since you're planning on buying two lights, you can get both.
I had seen it, but dismissed it as too similar to the P3d's I've got: similar runtime, beam pattern, brightness. Nice looking light though and does take the 18650 cell, a bonus in my book.
Old 02-09-09, 01:26 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have yet to see a P7 that is thrower.. I have a handful of them and they are all pure flood lights.. I too ride at a decent speed and mix a P7 for my main light with a Fenix TK11 q5 flashlight which is a big thrower.. I aim the P7 about 8-10 feet in front of me and the TK11 at the edge of the outer ring from the P7.. This gives the best of both worlds.. Both lights use 18650 batteries.. For long rides I carry 2 extra cells with me.. The TK11 is not only a long thrower but a long burn time light at over 2.5 hours in turbo mode.. They have a new R2 version of the TK11 which is supposed to be a little brighter than the Q5..

As far as the P7, there are so many to choose from, I use the Trustfire P7 which has 5 modes and is the longest running P7 that I own at 80-90 minutes in high mode.. Some others I have run only 45-60 minutes at best..

https://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=5374

TK11 models
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info...roducts_id=650
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info...roducts_id=497

I use these to carry my extra 18650 cells..
https://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound...es_p_2803.html

I would also get a couple of rcr123's for your p3d and use it as a helmet light in high mode which will get you over 3+ hour of runtime.. If you are going to invest in 18650 batteries, the charger you get most likley will also charge the rcr123's..

Last edited by socalrider; 02-09-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 03:20 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
I have yet to see a P7 that is thrower.. I have a handful of them and they are all pure flood lights.. I too ride at a decent speed and mix a P7 for my main light with a Fenix TK11 q5 flashlight which is a big thrower.. I aim the P7 about 8-10 feet in front of me and the TK11 at the edge of the outer ring from the P7.. This gives the best of both worlds.. Both lights use 18650 batteries.. For long rides I carry 2 extra cells with me.. The TK11 is not only a long thrower but a long burn time light at over 2.5 hours in turbo mode.. They have a new R2 version of the TK11 which is supposed to be a little brighter than the Q5..

As far as the P7, there are so many to choose from, I use the Trustfire P7 which has 5 modes and is the longest running P7 that I own at 80-90 minutes in high mode.. Some others I have run only 45-60 minutes at best..

https://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=5374

TK11 models
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info...roducts_id=650
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info...roducts_id=497

I use these to carry my extra 18650 cells..
https://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound...es_p_2803.html
Thanks socalrider, lots of great info. I think you're the person who mentioned the kaidomain light - it looked from the beamshot on the swebsite like it maybe got more of a throw, but it's juts a flood? how was the quality? I think you said it had a strong Lo as well.

I had envisioned using 2 P7 or MC-E on Low (50%+ of Hi) most of the time, with the option to blast it out on Hi if the need or desire arose. this would give 400-500 total lumen for normal lighting with 1000+ available. The current setup of 2 p3D's gives around 450 lumen with a great pattern, and is enough most of the time. But shortish runtime.

But I want more throw than the P7's seem to have...

If there's no decent throw P7 or MC-E lights I may well end up doing the same as you, mix an 18650 Q5 or R2 thrower with a P7.
Old 02-09-09, 03:25 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
oooooo
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=696
Old 02-09-09, 03:41 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Originally Posted by acroy
here is more info on the Fenix TK40, not sure why they are not using 18650 batteries in this one though..

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221659
Old 02-09-09, 03:45 PM
socalrider

Thanks socalrider, lots of great info. I think you're the person who mentioned the kaidomain light - it looked from the beamshot on the swebsite like it maybe got more of a throw, but it's juts a flood? how was the quality? I think you said it had a strong Lo as well.

I had envisioned using 2 P7 or MC-E on Low (50%+ of Hi) most of the time, with the option to blast it out on Hi if the need or desire arose. this would give 400-500 total lumen for normal lighting with 1000+ available. The current setup of 2 p3D's gives around 450 lumen with a great pattern, and is enough most of the time. But shortish runtime.

But I want more throw than the P7's seem to have...

If there's no decent throw P7 or MC-E lights I may well end up doing the same as you, mix an 18650 Q5 or R2 thrower with a P7.
The Trustfire Quality is much better than some of the MTE lights I have bought.. It is very bright but by no means a thrower.. I like it because of the good runtimes.. I have other P7 lights that are brighter but the runtime is well under 1 hour.. The trustfire easily puts out 400+ lumens out the front.. The drop from High - medium - low is very slight.. Some of the other 2 mode p7's have a huge dropoff from high to low.. I would say for longer rides I stick with medium mode which will get you around 2:20 runtime.. Like I said above the best of both worlds is a Q5 or R2 Thrower with a P7 as your main light.. Adding the P3d on the helmet will also be a plus, just run it in high mode and not turbo to get better runtime on the p3d, you are using this more to be seen..

Lights are progressing fast right now.. Fenix and surefire have p7 lights coming out in the next couple of months, of course there is a premium with these brands but the quality is always top shelf..

Another nice light is from ebay, it comes with charger and batteries.. It is a single mode light, solid runtime over 1 hour before it starts to dimish.. If you just need the light contact the seller, I think he charged me 60.00.. Both of the lights I have posted outshine my NR Trinewt which is rated just under 500 lumens

https://cgi.ebay.com/SSC-P7-LED-Flash...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by socalrider; 02-09-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 03:51 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
here is more info on the Fenix TK40, not sure why they are not using 18650 batteries in this one though..

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221659
bleh, just read that... 8xAA? c'mon. that sucker is huge too... Dissapointed.
Old 02-09-09, 03:53 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The Trustfire Quality is much better than some of the MTE lights I have bought.. It is very bright but by no means a thrower.. I like it because of the good runtimes.. I have other P7 lights that are brighter but the runtime is well under 1 hour.. The trustfire easily puts out 400+ lumens out the front.. The drop from High - medium - low is very slight.. Some of the other 2 mode p7's have a huge dropoff from high to low.. I would say for longer rides I stick with medium mode which will get you around 2:20 runtime.. Like I said above the best of both worlds is a Q5 or R2 Thrower with a P7 as your main light.. Adding the P3d on the helmet will also be a plus, just run it in high mode and not turbo to get better runtime on the p3d, you are using this more to be seen..

Lights are progressing fast right now.. Fenix and surefire have p7 lights coming out in the next couple of months, of course there is a premium with these brands but the quality is always top shelf..

Another nice light is from ebay, it comes with charger and batteries.. It is a single mode light, solid runtime over 1 hour before it starts to dimish.. If you just need the light contact the seller, I think he charged me 60.00..

https://cgi.ebay.com/SSC-P7-LED-Flash...QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks again, great info! is that Ebay light also a flood? looks like a big ol' head, I tend to associate reflector size = throw.
Old 02-09-09, 03:56 PM
socalrider

bleh, just read that... 8xAA? c'mon. that sucker is huge too... Dissapointed.
If it were to give me 3 hours + with 8aa I would bear with it.. If I wanted a light that big, I would just get a Maglite 3d and use a 2 MCE drop in from Elektrolumens which give me 1000+ lumens and good runtime.

https://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=189311
Old 02-09-09, 04:02 PM
socalrider

Thanks again, great info! is that Ebay light also a flood? looks like a big ol' head, I tend to associate reflector size = throw.
The ebay light is about 3/4" longer and the head is only slightly bigger than the Trustfire.. See pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
p7light.jpg (16.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-10-09, 09:02 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I was looking at the Electrolumens lights & drop-ins. but they're kinda spendy and bigger flashlights then I prefer

Thanks for the pic of the ebay light vs. Trustfire