Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'84 Centurion Turbo Project Opinions/Advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 05:07 PM
stlzed
Midwestman

Bikes: Early 80's Gitane Rubbish Bin Rescue Converted to Single Speed, Breezer Uptown 8 City internal Hub, a pair of 1984 Centurion Turbo Roads, 2018 Soma Stanyan (my favorite at this point), 2019 Soma ES Smoothie, 2014 Fuji Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1984 Centurion Turbo

Hi All - first time I've posted anything to a forum in a looong time, so here goes! I picked up a 1984 Centurion Turbo frameset, zero original components, and want to get some ideas, opinions, advice. I just happened to run across the frameset and didn't know anything about it, or what it originally came with, so didn't know what I was getting into. Apparently it came with Suntour Superbe Pro, and when I went to look for original components my eyes began to water looking at prices on ebay. 126mm rear spacing for a 6 speed as best as I can tell from my research. So my question is, since I have no original components, ideas on where to go with this thing? The frame isn't perfect, it has some flakes, nicks, scratches here and there, but no dings, dents, etc, paint only. I do have a set of Dura Ace hubs on Mavic wheels, front is mounted and good, but rear hub is 130mm so would require cold setting the back for it to fit. Has braze on down tube shifter mounts. Thoughts on using the Dura Ace rear wheel with an 8 speed setup, which would require cold setting the frame? Or leave it, and maybe go with Suntour Sprint components which are cheaper than the Superbe Pro? The Pro is just out of my league as far as what I'm willing to put into this frameset. I'd like to build it to ride, good size for me, and I'm in midwest with flat terrain and basically zero hills to contend with.

Last edited by stlzed; 08-06-18 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Pic NOT added - won't let me upload pics
Old 08-06-18, 06:37 PM
flying_rhino

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You could always go modern with it, like I did with mine. If you want to keep it period, I'd look for a Shimano 105 6-speed set-up; reliable & bullet-proof.
Old 08-06-18, 07:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've had two of them. You do not need to cold-set; it should be fine.

Given the beautiful wraparound seat stays and fork crown, polished stuff.

DA 9-sp 7700 shifters, add Ultegra FD/RD, crankset and calipers.

Polished hubs for sure.

The bike ran a Hinault version of the Turbo saddle, and crazy-ass Tange Aero headset.

Get a saddle that fits and a headset you can adjust, a polished seatpost and stem, unless you can murder it out like the one above.

Then ride it like the polished Ironman predecessor it is.
Old 08-07-18, 11:29 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
My vote 13-19 free wheel , hey I like corn cobs . 7401 Dura Ace RD&FD . Wheel set you have sounds very nice I hope it's tubular . Will it work with a 6 speed free wheel ? I like Tektro dual pivot brakes and spring loaded levers . I love fluted seat posts and Selle Concor seats . And plez whatever you do no barcons . OK , my thoughts hope you like them . What color scheme is the frame now ?
PS . If you want to go one toke over the line , put on one of these .
https://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc.html

Last edited by markwesti; 08-07-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-07-18, 07:19 PM
stlzed
Midwestman

Bikes: Early 80's Gitane Rubbish Bin Rescue Converted to Single Speed, Breezer Uptown 8 City internal Hub, a pair of 1984 Centurion Turbo Roads, 2018 Soma Stanyan (my favorite at this point), 2019 Soma ES Smoothie, 2014 Fuji Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks For Suggestions

All - Thanks for the suggestions and advice, much appreciated. I'd like to post a pic of it, but no matter what I do I get some message saying "this feature is not allowed for members with less than 10 posts" or something like that, argh. Someone sent me a private message also, and when I try to access it, get the same "not allowed" message. Odd, because it says in my posting rules I can do whatever, post pics, etc. Anyway, RobbieTunes, I like your idea of the DA 7700 shifters, nice and shiny, along with the Ultegra everything else. I think you're right, with the chrome on the bike already, some polished shiny metal will look good. The Mavic wheels are black, so that might be good contrast with polished hubs. Thanks again guys! Much appreciated.
Old 08-07-18, 07:43 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
It's generally uneconomical to buy a whole bike's worth of vintage parts off ebay for a bare frame that's been previously parted out. You'd spend much more than the finished complete bike is worth. That's why people part out bikes. (unfortunately - in my view)

One option could be to collect vintage components over time and as you find them at a decent price. This approach requires you to forget the whole notion of groupsets. Instead, find quality components that are appropriate to the bike. For example: Sugino Mighty crank, Cyclone derailleurs, Gran Compe brakes, etc. Velocity SunM13 wheelsets are perfectly fine. I'd much rather see a bike like this with an assortment of top shelf components than a mid range 'groupset' that's all matchy matchy. Mid range isn't really right for this bike.

Alternatively, simply get yourself a modern Ultegra group, and some sort of wheels, bolt 'em on, and call it a day. That's probably what I would do in this particular case.

While yes, you can get away with simply jamming 130 wheels into a 126mm frame, it's much better to properly realign it. Not that hard really. Look up Sheldon Brown's instructions.

EDIT: On second thought Suntour sprint would be fine, if you can find a whole group of it somehow. It came out a few years later than this bike, FWIW. It was an Ultegra competitor but Ultegra has been upgraded since then. In the 80s it was mid level to upper mid level. (arguably)

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-08-18 at 12:40 PM.