Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bird Scooter incident in Raleigh, NC

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 12-05-18, 07:14 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I realize that this is only peripherally bike related, but nevertheless thought it brings up some important issues related to responsibility. Guy on the scooter was going a bit fast on the sidewalk, however the driver appears to exit the garage without much caution. Scooter guy is in the wind and the incensed driver is seeking compensation from Bird. In my opinion this is yet another incident that could have been easily prevented by both parties operating their vehicles prudently. Raleigh was blindsided by the appearance of the scooter company, but in response to the huge number of complaints (as well as injuries) recently passed an ordinance prohibiting use on sidewalks. They are allowed to use bike lanes. In this instance, it seems likely that had the scooter operator been on the street the crash would have still been likely.

Scooter crashes into car
Old 12-05-18, 07:18 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Seems like scooter rider would have had right of way in that instance.
Old 12-05-18, 09:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
no one expects a pedestrian to be moving at 15mph. for all we know the car driver was being cautious, looked left then looked right, but while looking right the scooter flew at him. in my opinion these things should be in the roadway & should have to abide by motorized vehicle laws or at least bicycle laws with reflectors, lights, helmets, etc
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-05-18, 09:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A person riding a scooter isn't a pedestrian.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 12-05-18, 09:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
no one expects a pedestrian to be moving at 15mph. for all we know the car driver was being cautious, looked left then looked right, but while looking right the scooter flew at him. in my opinion these things should be in the roadway & should have to abide by motorized vehicle laws or at least bicycle laws with reflectors, lights, helmets, etc
I have had one close call with a bicyclist in all my years of driving and it happened right around the corner from my house about a year ago. As I pull out of my subdivision onto the main road, there's a tall privacy fence and a hedge row in the yard to my left. The fence and hedges run right beside a sidewalk. In order to see far enough down the street to make sure it's safe to pull out, I have to move well into the area where the sidewalk intersects the street. If any pedestrians were coming, They's be within my field of view before I drove into that space. One day a bicyclist was ripping down the sidewalk. He had to swerve to avoid me and swerved into the road I was going to enter. I am thankful there were no cars coming, because they may have hit him. My point is that you are right in that we commit to crossing sidewalks based on visually clearing pedestrian speed swaths of real estate. We are not anticipating and should not have to anticipate 15MPH traffic. That completely changes the dynamic.

This is the intersection and a view to the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9932...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 12-05-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 10:39 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
https://kdvr.com/2018/12/05/e-scoote...across-denver/
Old 12-05-18, 10:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
we commit to crossing sidewalks based on visually clearing pedestrian speed swaths of real estate. We are not and should not have to anticipate 15MPH traffic
precisely why biking on the sidewalk is not legal
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-05-18, 11:19 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't like scooters on the bike path because they are not bikes, but mechanized transportation devices
Old 12-05-18, 12:13 PM
rumrunn6

Old 12-05-18, 12:32 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you dont look, you wont see

another idiot that gotten their license with a 6pack
Old 12-05-18, 12:33 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had one close call with a bicyclist in all my years of driving and it happened right around the corner from my house about a year ago. As I pull out of my subdivision onto the main road, there's a tall privacy fence and a hedge row in the yard to my left. The fence and hedges run right beside a sidewalk. In order to see far enough down the street to make sure it's safe to pull out, I have to move well into the area where the sidewalk intersects the street.
you are aware of this and just keep going wow
Old 12-05-18, 12:36 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
precisely why biking on the sidewalk is not legal
that varies by country, state, city
Old 12-05-18, 12:44 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Scooters in California are required to be on the road (not sidewalk), operated by 18 year olds an up and operator wear a helmet. almost none of these are observed.in actual use

I think the answer is that laws should be changed so it is the scooter company that gets the citation and the fine, not the operator. That would incentivise scooter companies to put better controls in place as to location, verification of rider age, and providing helmets

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-05-18, 01:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by italktocats
you are aware of this and just keep going wow
You can't comprehend a post and yet you comment anyway? Wow!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-18, 01:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Seems like scooter rider would have had right of way in that instance.
Uh, no. If you watch the video, the car is ready to pull out of traffic, and begins to do so when the scooter rider rams right into the back driver's side door. The car was already across the sidewalk in the driveway from the parking garage. The guy riding the scooter wasn't paying attention at all, then left the scene of the accident.
Old 12-05-18, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
This isn't really a bicycling issue, but those things are just too fast and poorly controlled to be on a sidewalk. That car is not going fast and has already pulled out 3/4 of its length when the scooter hit it in the rear door. That means the scooter had several seconds to stop, and yet still ran smack into the car.

Having watched people slalom around pedestrians on a crowded sidewalk on these things, they're just a major accident waiting to happen. Either they need to be operated in the streets or not at all.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-05-18, 02:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This isn't really a bicycling issue, but those things are just too fast and poorly controlled to be on a sidewalk. That car is not going fast and has already pulled out 3/4 of its length when the scooter hit it in the rear door. That means the scooter had several seconds to stop, and yet still ran smack into the car.

Having watched people slalom around pedestrians on a crowded sidewalk on these things, they're just a major accident waiting to happen. Either they need to be operated in the streets or not at all.
And from what I see the driver needed to commit to straddling the sidewalk crossing to be able to see well enough to safely enter the roadway. There are a lot of sidewalks situations that are similar. I described one earlier in this thread. While you are right that this is not a bicycling issue, the lessons certainly apply well to bicyclists.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-18, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
And from what I see the driver needed to commit to straddling the sidewalk crossing to be able to see well enough to safely enter the roadway. There are a lot of sidewalks situations that are similar. I described one earlier in this thread. While you are right that this is not a bicycling issue, the lessons certainly apply well to bicyclists.

Agree with all of that--there are very few situations in which I will ride on a sidewalk, and I would never do so at speed.

I forget that there are actually adults who consider riding on the sidewalk normal and/or safer than the street. It's a terrible idea in large part because of driveways, and even worse than the situation you're describing are driveways where the driver has no choice but to back out. It's bad enough dealing with that in the street, being on the sidewalk just cuts down the time you have to anticipate it.
Old 12-05-18, 02:36 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The parking garage is likely the most liable for this collision.

Line of sight is blocked leaving the garage for both drivers and sidewalk users. The garage has not compensated for that by either putting up a mirror and/or visual/audio warning system that a car is leaving the garage.

Boston may prohibit bicycles from sidewalks, but many cities/states do not or just limit the area to the center of downtown. Many cops would ticket a scooter if they used the road.

Sounds like the city only has rules and not laws/ordinances for the scooters. There will likely be several legal battles between cities and scooter companies because of this.

Scooter rider may have some liability if the sidewalk has a 10 mph limit and it can be proven the scooter was going 15 mph or over. Lots of runners travel at 12 mph.
Old 12-05-18, 02:43 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
The insanity is widespread in Fort Lauderdale.

The dockless scooter sharing has service from Bird, Bolt and Lime.

It is terrifying to operate a motor vehicle in the covered area. Every intersection must be inspected for high-speed traffic approaching from any direction on the roadways and sidewalks, with traffic and against traffic.

These are operated without any regard to rules of the road. There are many, many, many all over the area. The operator skill level ranges from zero to acceptable, with most clustered near zero.

My speculation is that the problem is much worse when the bars are letting out.

People are going to die! (Moment of drama is over...) Seriously though, it is horrible and out-of-control.

Don't let this happen to your town.
Likes For wingless:
Old 12-05-18, 03:03 PM
wingless

Originally Posted by wingless
The insanity is widespread in Fort Lauderdale.

The dockless scooter sharing has service from Bird, Bolt and Lime.
They provide a rules link that doesn't specify ANY of the operation rules.

They instead instruct to "Always obey traffic laws", without specifying a single one.

Old 12-05-18, 04:31 PM
wingless

The Bolt app instructs that scooters are not league to operate on public roads, that they must either operate in a bike lane or on the sidewalk.

The Bird app says to only operate in bike paths, to not operate on sidewalks and doesn't mention the roadway.

Last edited by wingless; 12-05-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 04:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
They provide a rules link that doesn't specify ANY of the operation rules. They instead instruct to "Always obey traffic laws", without specifying a single one.
They probably figure it is best if the operator obeys them all .... what a concept.
Old 12-05-18, 08:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Similar incident in Indy earlier in the year. https://fox59.com/2018/09/20/downtow...ould-be-filed/
Here, too, e-scooters are not to be ridden on sidewalks. But, of course, folks ride them on sidewalks.
Old 12-05-18, 10:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
They should change the name from Lime and Bird to Darwin Scooters. Hey, he's not on the sidewalk!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.