Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small Victory

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Small Victory

Old 01-03-19, 10:20 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Small Victory

We got sleet changing to heavy wet snow up here in Boston/Metro North. Because of the chance for sleet I whipped out the ski-goggles for their first ever run. They were dark because of their tint. Bottom line, though, no fog, and it saved my eyes 10 miles of sleet/snow
Old 01-03-19, 10:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
nice! how long is your ride & do you sweat much?

I recently removed the foam air filters from my goggles, so I will give them another try sometime this winter
Old 01-03-19, 11:24 AM
parkbrav

My new ride is currently 21 miles round trip. Almost 100% back residential roads. The biggest challenge is waiting for the stopped school buses

I got the Scott Anti-Fog ski goggles from the local ski&board shop at the annual Spring clearance sale. So it was like 75% off the ticket price.

You're right, the real test will be the cold temps which haven't really hit Boston yet.
Old 01-03-19, 12:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by parkbrav
annual Spring clearance sale. So it was like 75% off the ticket price
now that's thinking like a Boston bike commuter!
Old 01-03-19, 01:43 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I've been using light ski goggles for the past couple of year when the temp dips below freezing. They don't fog up and they add protection to my face. Kinda dorky looking, but who cares.
Old 01-03-19, 02:50 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I've been using light ski goggles for the past couple of year when the temp dips below freezing. They don't fog up and they add protection to my face. Kinda dorky looking, but who cares.
I'm proud to say that I look a lot like Deadpool in my balaclava / ski goggles combo!

One of these days I will have to get someone to snap my picture, with all the bike lights on as well
Old 01-03-19, 07:47 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Goggles are somewhat commonplace among the winter cyclists here. They're nice even when it's dry, just because the cold air can make you tear up. I just got back to winter commuting this year, after a 10-ish-year hiatus. Tried the two old goggles I had from BITD (one tinted, one clear), and both were awful. The foam was deteriorating, the lenses were scratched up beyond hope, and talk about tunnel vision. Those not-so-old-school designs were very narrow. Hit the LBS and found a pair of OTG Giros for only $25, and WOW. MUCH better peripheral vision, and way more comfortable.

No fog issues either. When the Ironman was in town, one of the vendors was selling some gimmicky lens cleaning/treatment paste. I gave it a try and it's actually pretty good stuff. And it def keeps the goggle from fogging up. Breathing out through the balaclava, it's actually better with goggles; with just glasses, I do get some fogging.

Favorite winter cycle scene from last year - waiting at a corner bus stop, dude pulls up to the light on a hybrid all rigged for winter, balaclava, goggles, the whole kit, towing a trailer with a dog. Dog was having a BLAST. No goggles on the dog, however.
Old 01-07-19, 07:38 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by mcours2006
16 degrees F this morning, happy to report no fog at all on the light ski goggles, with the added bonus that my eyeballs did NOT freeze shut at any point on the commute.

Now what I need are a pair of those thermal feet warmers. A bit of frost bite on the toes
Old 01-07-19, 08:01 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
16 degrees F this morning, happy to report no fog at all on the light ski goggles, with the added bonus that my eyeballs did NOT freeze shut at any point on the commute.

Now what I need are a pair of those thermal feet warmers. A bit of frost bite on the toes
Yep. Minus 11*C this morning with a head wind. Goggles are a must. I had the toe and hand warmers this morning as well. They do help.
Old 01-07-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

do you goggle ppl find that your helmet pushes down on the goggles? I retired mine with 1 helmet & not sure if the pressure with be bothersome on a ride, and/or if i need to try the goggles with a few of the helmets in my house to see which they fit best with?
Old 01-07-19, 09:53 AM
parkbrav

I'm not sure I understand completely, R-R. My goggles are "stand-alone," so no helmet or anything to speak of. They wrap around my eyes under my bike helmet, over the nose, and they do have a small piece of insulating foam around the eyepiece. That's about it. They are kind of like the over-sized swimming goggles you might buy for the kids.

https://www.nyglass.com/products/sco...iABEgLPDvD_BwE

Again, "Scott-anti-fogg," almost generic looking, goggles. They were on retail for about $50. The store had discounted them to about 50% off, and then had a SECOND sale around Easter for another (approximately) 25-30% off, so I got them for (approximately), $16.25.

The guy who sold me these goggles says that he biked to work in the winter last year and wore them and they worked great.
Old 01-07-19, 11:11 AM
madpogue 

I have over-the-glasses MTB goggles, and a fairly large-coverage helmet (POC Tectal). The goggles directly abut the helmet, and they sit slightly low (maybe 5 mm lower than optimal) on my nose. But there's no downward pressure on the goggles from the helmet. And it's a full house up there - glasses, wool watch cap, balaclava, helmet, goggles, full head of hair with pony tail (haven't cut my hair since 1999), so real estate is tight, but again, no pressure or discomfort.

Per recommendation from a couple friends and a guy at the LBS, I hang the goggle around my neck, then put the helmet on, then pull the goggle up into place. So the strap is outside the helmet. Dunno if that makes a difference.
Old 01-07-19, 12:29 PM
rumrunn6

I think my road bike helmet sits the highest on my head allowing for no touching between the two things. been a cpl years since I actually wore mine riding. was just trying them on the other day w a diff. helmet

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-07-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 12:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I have low, under the brow glasses, and at times have been seen peering over the top of the frames.
Old 01-07-19, 12:53 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have low, under the brow glasses, and at times have been seen peering over the top of the frames
he ... I've done that when my safety glasses were wet. then it occurred to me, that doesn't make much sense. or does it?
Old 01-07-19, 01:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
he ... I've done that when my safety glasses were wet. then it occurred to me, that doesn't make much sense. or does it?
For me, I have a mild astigmatism, which means that near and distant sight is affected equally, and I can see reasonably well without glasses, but the glasses help shapen the image.

The glasses will still keep most of the rain off of the eyeballs, but the crack above is just enough to see out.... Or, so one thinks.
Old 01-09-19, 05:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
do you goggle ppl find that your helmet pushes down on the goggles? I retired mine with 1 helmet & not sure if the pressure with be bothersome on a ride, and/or if i need to try the goggles with a few of the helmets in my house to see which they fit best with?
Originally Posted by madpogue
I have over-the-glasses MTB goggles, and a fairly large-coverage helmet (POC Tectal). The goggles directly abut the helmet, and they sit slightly low (maybe 5 mm lower than optimal) on my nose.

But there's no downward pressure on the goggles from the helmet. And it's a full house up there - glasses, wool watch cap, balaclava, helmet, goggles, full head of hair with pony tail (haven't cut my hair since 1999), so real estate is tight, but again, no pressure or discomfort.

Per recommendation from a couple friends and a guy at the LBS, I hang the goggle around my neck, then put the helmet on, then pull the goggle up into place. So the strap is outside the helmet. Dunno if that makes a difference.
I have frequently posted about my winter eyewear, below about 35°F, which is suspended from my headgear without pressure from my helmet.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide, plastic industrial goggles that I suspend from my cycling cap using Velcro around the nosepiece. The goggles sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered.

The earpieces then provide a secure mount for my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror. The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.
I myself wear three layers of headwear under my helmet: thin synthetic skull cap (prevents helmet hair), thin balaclava, and a thicker loose woolen skull cap.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-09-19 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

winter eyewear
great pics showing the layering! thanks Jim. impressed you can wear the mirror with all that stuff!

not to hijack, but also interesting to me is how you have your mirror oriented (vertical & directly in front). haven't used mine in some time cuz I've mostly been off-road or on paved trails. but looking at how you have yours set up, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I should try your setup on my next road ride. going to save & print these pics of you so I can do that

this is how mine is being used (horizontal & bent outward). I also got the smaller unit (shorter arm I think) but haven't used it yet

I wonder if I lean over more than you cuz I remember having to accommodate looking over my shoulder, which would be less of a problem if I was more upright
Old 01-09-19, 10:25 AM
Jim from Boston

great pics showing the layering! thanks Jim. impressed you can wear the mirror with all that stuff!

not to hijack, but also interesting to me is how you have your mirror oriented (vertical & directly in front)…
.Hi @rumrunn6,

Actually since I posted those pictures, I have adopted wearing both right and left hand Take-a-Look mirrors.
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [for]…:
Through trial and error, I wear the right-hand one in the vertical orientation, and the left-hand one horizontally.My right -hand one currently is a wide rectangle, 3.5 x 2.5 inches.

I needed a replacement for the left hand one, and all I could find is an apparent new model that's a narrow rectangle, 3.5 x1.5 inches. The narrow mirror does works well, especially when mounted just on my on my eyeglasses.

The goggle-mounted mirrors do require more manipulation to reflect properly with minimal head motion, essentially just a sideward glance of the eyes.

Old 01-09-19, 11:05 AM
parkbrav

What is the name brand / model of these eye pieces you have? How much are they?

A big problem I am having WITHOUT goggles is my eyes freezing while biking in temps below 15F. Do your goggles protect against such cold temps?
Old 01-09-19, 11:44 AM
madpogue 

^^^^^^ +1; inquring minds want to know....
Old 01-09-19, 11:59 AM
rumrunn6

Through trial and error, I wear the right-hand one in the vertical orientation, and the left-hand one horizontally
ok thanks then I guess I'm good
Old 01-09-19, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

A big problem I am having WITHOUT goggles is my eyes freezing while biking in temps below 15F. Do your goggles protect against such cold temps?
funny how this question comes up in so many threads (do some searching in the winter subforum!)

2 yrs ago I tried goggles

for several years I've used safety glasses

this year I'm experimenting with a helmet w 1/2 face shield

I recently removed the foam filters on my goggles so I'm hoping they won't fog now

but yes, covering the eyes absolutely helps!
Old 01-09-19, 12:25 PM
Jim from Boston

We got sleet changing to heavy wet snow up here in Boston/Metro North. Because of the chance for sleet I whipped out the ski-goggles for their first ever run. They were dark because of their tint.

Bottom line, though, no fog, and it saved my eyes 10 miles of sleet/snow
What is the name brand / model of these eye pieces you have? How much are they?

As noted these are cheap industrial goggles from Home Depot for about $5.00. To further elaborate:
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:

I have also often suggested that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance…

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging. The windscreen of the goggles is so effective in keeping my eyes warm that my eyelids actually perspired because my central core body was so warm, and my eyes never got cold, even on those fast windswept downhill runs…

Finally, last Monday I rode in a sleety, wintry mix, and wore a billed baseball cap under my helmet. My prescription eyeglasses stayed dry and clear, and my vision was good with occasional swipes of the goggles with a gloved finger.
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:

1. Provide ventilation for the exhaled air, as described in my post; an advantage to the exhaled air is that it keeps the face warm.

2. Prevent the exhaled air from reaching the goggles:

I have tried typical, and expensive, double-paned ski goggles, and it seems difficult to keep that exhaled air from entering the seal, especially when forcefully exhaling as when riding uphill. If moisture does get into the tightly sealeld goggles, it can’t get out.

It seems a tight headband would also be uncomfortable. An added benefit to safety glasses is I can mount my Take-a-Look mirror on the rigid earpieces.

3. Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.: I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome.

I'm not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year. Every year there are many threads on about the problem.

FYA, I was most impressed by this system by @TuckamoreDew of Edmonton, AB:
Old 01-09-19, 02:37 PM
rumrunn6

exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles
I've learned to divert my exhales. I struggle with the sweat around my eye sockets. that moisture causes my fogging ...