Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best lights for under $40?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 11:36 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(posted this on the commuting forum, but didn't get much luck there, so posting again here)

Okay, so I'm an impoverished student whose bike, along w/ lighting and all other accessories, got stolen. What with having to buy a new bike and all, I can only afford to spend $40 for both lights. Any suggestions?
Old 11-13-07, 12:50 AM
axelfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet Bike Super Flash Blinky and https://ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP3019.htm

The headlight is a "be seen" light, better for lighted areas at night. I have one, and I think it's just the OEM version of the Topeak Whitelight LED. I did a test tonight, and I could see it from at least 3/4 of a neighborhood block away.
Old 11-13-07, 04:32 AM
ovrrdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY MR16 halogen front and a cordless drill battery until you save the cash to get a real battery for the front and whatever red blinky thing you can get for walmart for the back. Total cost about $15.

Assuming you have a cordless drill that is... Preferably a 14.4V one.
Old 11-13-07, 08:50 AM
skingry
Asshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rayovac AA flashlight taped to the front bars and rear reflector.
Old 11-13-07, 09:55 AM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these on one of my road bikes. The Cateye 530. I have had it only a week and one ride but I am happy with it. It depends on what you are using it for. I wouldn't want to use it on a dark country road with no moon where on a down hill I might reach over 30 mph but for my purposes which are on lighted and semi lighted streets going 18-20 mph it is more than enough. You can pick them up on ebay for $30-40. The mount isn't all that sturdy but should be ok for normal road use. As far as a rear light you can pick one up that can be easily seen for $10 or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cateye530.jpg (19.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-13-07, 10:09 AM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would pick up the best Bell light package from Walmart for ~$15 and a pack of rechargable AA's and a charger.

It fit in my broke college budget and does its job getting me around.
Old 11-13-07, 11:49 AM
chevy42083
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork
I have one of these on one of my road bikes. The Cateye 530. I have had it only a week and one ride but I am happy with it. It depends on what you are using it for. I wouldn't want to use it on a dark country road with no moon where on a down hill I might reach over 30 mph but for my purposes which are on lighted and semi lighted streets going 18-20 mph it is more than enough. You can pick them up on ebay for $30-40. The mount isn't all that sturdy but should be ok for normal road use. As far as a rear light you can pick one up that can be easily seen for $10 or so.

I have that light, but it's my least favorite Cat-eye of the three I have. That one is by far the brightest, but has the worst light pattern. It's a spot-light, with no spread around that. Basically, I can see one spot really well, but my eyes won't adjust to the darkness anywhere else.
I have two other cat-eyes which are 3 led lights... one which mounts the same as that 530, another which has a rubber strap and buckle (excellent backup light to throw in your bag/pocket). Both of them are dimmer, but I can see MUCH better. My schwinn rear light from target is plenty bright, and has multiple flashing modes, but my cateye rear light is a little smaller, and definatly brighter.

I'd search ebay and wait for a deal.... that's how I got all my lights.... 3 headlights and a rear for less than $50 shipped... bought at separate times. The tail came in a package with my fav. headlight, but can't remember the #s right now.
Old 11-13-07, 12:52 PM
BikeToWork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $12 you cannot go wrong with the Viewpoint Flare 5. I bought one at Performance recently and am really impressed by the amount of light generated by 4 AAA batteries. The runtime is good, too with nimh batteries. With this cheap headlight you can afford to splurge on the tail light and get the Planet Bike superflash, which is also amazingly bright for 2 AAA batteries.
Old 11-13-07, 12:55 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strobe + flash light
Old 11-13-07, 01:12 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: a super duper nice person donated his old Cateye 500 to me, yay! It has a broken mount, but some sort of tape or reusable cable tie should fix that.

All I have to worry about now is taillights. I'm probably gonna get the Planet Bike Super Flash for my bike and another cheaper one to attach to my backpack. Thanks for your help y'all!