Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Old 12-28-10, 03:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Thank you for this thread, rhm. I see lots of possibilities for me.

First, I have a 58cm Surly Cross Check, and I'd like to replace it with a 56cm Cross Check only.

I have a bunch of frames:

54cm Peugeot UO-8 which needs alignment. Market value: $0 or less.

68cm Nishiki something or other. Not high end. Yes, really 68cm.

I can't think of what else. I'll take inventory...

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-28-10, 04:03 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
Off hand, these are the ones I can remember:
1984 Centurion Elite GT (touring bike), 66cm
A pile of others. What are you looking for.
This would be one that would interest me, what size do you ride. I wonder what shipping to the frozen tundra cost

Morning Tom!
Old 12-28-10, 04:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

bikeforums sure has a lot of night owls!

I'm not normally up this late. The trouble is that my wife is away.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-28-10, 08:00 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
This would be one that would interest me, what size do you ride. I wonder what shipping to the frozen tundra cost
You are 2nd in line for that one. I should know in the next couple of days if the current interest work out (I will PM you if it falls through). Shipping on that one is going to be about $70 +/-$10 depending on how daring I go with the packaging.
Old 12-28-10, 01:07 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
I have this 1992 Specialized Rockhopper comp rigid MTB frame/fork. 17" c-c, 18" c-t. Tange chromoly throughout, TIG welded. (Bought new by my wife in 1992, originally equipped with full Deore DX/LX).

Looking to trade for a similar rigid MTB frameset in a larger size (20-23" c-t).
Old 12-28-10, 07:02 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Well, speaking for myself alone... yes, that sounds about right. That is, I'm willing to pay shipping my frame to you. JYB, we ride the same frame size which pretty much excludes us from doing this kind of business together, except that we have pretty radically different taste in bikes, so maybe there's hope after all, but then again I pretty much only have crappy ones and you pretty much only have nice ones, so... uh, never mind.

My hope with this thread is that we consider passing our useless goods ("crap") on without worrying too much about what we get in return, so long as it fits. The frame I have is, for my purposes useless ("crap") because it's too (a) small (b) racy and (c) modern. Something in my size would be far more useful. If it's still crap, at least it would be crap in my size. It's not a terrible frame. It's really quite nice, it's just useless to me.

I'm not a gambler, and I recommend anyone playing this game understand what they're getting. But inasmuchas the BOCPAG was gambling, and the secret Santa game was gambling, this too is gambling. You put something in, and you get something out. No one promises that what you get out is more valuable than what you put in.

Anyway, I started this thread, and will follow it, but I'm not making up the rules. I'm merely suggesting rules I'd like. Make your own rules, arrange your own trades, and make someone happy. If anyone's happy, I'll be happy.

And if I get a 60 cm Claud Butler (or Holdsworth, Carlton, Hetchins, Norman, &c), I'll be especially happy!

Edit...
Yes, John, you have it right. This isn't to be limited in any way. It's a free-for-all! Anyone who wants to organize it, categorize it, and make it work, please! Be my guest!
Okay, I think I get it--this isn't an ISO thing for high-end desirable frames, but a way to get underused, unloved frames out into the world where they'll do some good. And in fact, I've been wanting some sort of 25-inch hi-ten frame with bad paint to make a winter beater out of. The only problem is that I don't have anything similar to trade. I'll keep my eye out for a 23-inch frame of the same general kind--easier to find than a 25, probably.
Who's going to step up to the plate and develop a system to make all this happen? It won't be an old luddite like me, I don't think.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-28-10, 09:11 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Off hand, these are the ones I can remember:

1984 Takara professional, 64cm
1984 Centurion Elite GT (touring bike), 66cm
1984ish Univega Viva Sport, 68 cm, repaired a slightly bent seat stay
2002 Jamis Ventura, 62 cm

A pile of others. What are you looking for.
I like big bikes and I cannot lie
Those other brothers can't deny...

That Centurion interests me in particular.
Old 12-28-10, 09:38 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

That Centurion interests me in particular.
Standalone, You are now 3rd in line behind Glennfordx4.

I've been wanting some sort of 25-inch hi-ten frame with bad paint to make a winter beater out of. The only problem is that I don't have anything similar to trade. I'll keep my eye out for a 23-inch frame of the same general kind--easier to find than a 25, probably.
Can I interest either of you in a 68cm Univega? (we need a smilely face with a polyester plad sport coat)
Old 12-28-10, 10:05 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Standalone, You are now 3rd in line behind Glennfordx4.

Can I interest either of you in a 68cm Univega? (we need a smilely face with a polyester plad sport coat)
I might be game for the univega. The most comfortable I've ever been on a bike was on a 67 or 68 Lotus w/tange that a student of mine grabbed out of a dumpster. Kid couldn't have been even 5'10" but he still wouldn't sell it to me!

Do keep me in line for the centurion
Old 12-28-10, 10:09 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trying a spreadsheet. It's a google document that anyone with the link can edit, so feel free to add your own entries.

Link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CMu0m5AB

I have it set up so that it's more of a "game" than a trade forum. There are abstract frame descriptors, but nowhere is there an identifying frame name. If someone really wants to let others know what they have (and ruin the game!), they can post here and let the spreadsheet reader trace back the description in this thread. Hopefully those that wish to play the game can use the spreadsheet and those that wish to do more of a traditional trade can just post in this thread.

Information listed is
- frame owner
- frame type (mtn, track, road) to give rough geometry ideas
- ST/TT measurements
- tubing quality (A-D measurements using rhm's model)
- frame condition (A-D measurements using rhm's model)
- dropout type (h,v,t for horizontal, vertical, or track)
- braze-ons (just to list which ones exist)
- special notes (for odd threading, diameters, etc)

If you can think of another necessary category, feel free to add it in. I haven't filled in my entry yet, b/c I don't have a frame to trade yet .
Old 12-28-10, 10:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

jonwvara, I have a 25" Atala Giro D'Italia you can have. It's similar in quality to a UO-8 though I'd expect it to be Italian-threaded. Hmm, I have some Italian BB cups that some weirdo sent me.

Old 12-28-10, 10:43 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking for just about anything decent in 58-60cm.
Here is one I can offer:
1990 Schwinn CrossCut
seat tube 55cm; top tube 61cm
Taiwan, lugged construction
Double-butted cromoly main tubes
Fits 700C, Canti Brakes
Replacement chrome fork w/some rust
Paint is "B"
Should be considered frame/fork/headset/seatpost although I can prob. send it with more parts like that white Mtn Rack. Wheels and derailleurs are gone.
Good commuter/sport tourer

Last edited by BluesDaddy; 12-28-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 11:32 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

I might be game for the univega.
I need to dig it out of the top of the barn. I will PM you with pictures and a better description in the next day or two. I hoping it gets above zero tomorrow.
Old 12-29-10, 09:13 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Since this thread has several parallel tracks going, I will offer my viewpoints. Ignore at your pleasure.

1. Currently 99% of my web browsing is with a cell phone (Blackberry Curve, no Flash page functionality) so anything that gets too involved bumps me out.

2. The Google spreadsheet deal requires a Google membership. Free or not, that log-in requirement adds another hurdle, not counting the editing issue. I also don't know how viewable it is on my phone, but that's a personal matter.

3. Location of the item would be nice to know. Crossing country borders adds a level of complexity as well. It could be a good deal for someone in Somalia swapping with someone on the Island of Sodor, but it's probably a nice thing to know the respective locations up front.
I know that if I see something local or even semi-local then I'd be more motivated than to hassle with shipping.

4. The grading levels does nothing for me because I'd have to refer back to the grading scale and then factor in interpretive adjustments. Reading that the paint has nicks and dings tells me more than saying the paint is a B. YMMV. 8)

5. I would request that people go back and edit their posts, since this site allows that without a time limit, once a deal is done. I personally will use this like the local CL and assume anything more than a few days or pages old is potentially gone. If interested I'll still inquire, but I suspect I'll just check the newest page and quick scan for local deals, and also for special items I'm willing to ship for.

6. I'll check the basement and garage to see what I have and what I haven't gotten around to working on. And I'm thinking of the Lotus, hanging there frozen in time, having been left outside by the previous owner, seatpost came out with hefty effort, haven't done anything else to it yet, has decent potential but realistically a great unknown until it is fully disassembled with what will probably be a great amount of effort, and even if it is a fair fit I just haven't been motivated to mess with it yet. Maybe I'll offer it up, or maybe I'll just let it hang like a side of beef in the garage until next summer. Or maybe I'll offer up the bullmoosed bar Ross MTB instead, or something else.

Anyways, just some rambling personal view points. Ignore or not at your choosing.

Back to browsing on a 2" screen.
Old 12-29-10, 09:55 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
jonwvara, I have a 25" Atala Giro D'Italia you can have. It's similar in quality to a UO-8 though I'd expect it to be Italian-threaded. Hmm, I have some Italian BB cups that some weirdo sent me.
A UO-8 equivalent actually sounds like pretty much what I'm after, but I've realized that I'm already up to my ears in winter projects. Let me think on it and get back to you--shipping is always a pain when moving frames around, especially low-value ones.
As soon as you mentioned that it was an Atala I thought of those cups. It's sort of C&V version O. Henry's short story "Gift of the Magi," isn't it? But hang onto them--if I do eventually end up with the frame, I expect that I'd throw in an Italian-threaded Shimano cartridge BB.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-29-10, 09:58 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by treebound
Since this thread has several parallel tracks going, I will offer my viewpoints. Ignore at your pleasure.

1. Currently 99% of my web browsing is with a cell phone (Blackberry Curve, no Flash page functionality) so anything that gets too involved bumps me out.

2. The Google spreadsheet deal requires a Google membership. Free or not, that log-in requirement adds another hurdle, not counting the editing issue. I also don't know how viewable it is on my phone, but that's a personal matter.
I changed the spreadsheet settings to let anyone do it without login. I hadn't noticed that the other option required signing in to google, apologies.
Old 12-29-10, 10:18 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
where is said spreadsheet? I missed that post completely
Old 12-29-10, 10:20 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
where is said spreadsheet? I missed that post completely
Here ya go. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...LbncyY2c&hl=en
Old 12-29-10, 10:24 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
What is a Novara Triforma? I ran a google image search and came up with an ocean freighter ship. Just curious at this point, thanks.

Dash...,
No apologies necessary, I'm constricted by the phone and the spreadsheet viewer is funky at best.
Old 12-29-10, 10:26 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
thanks! Very cool, can I suggest adding a column for Make/Model?
Old 12-29-10, 10:41 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

What is a Novara Triforma?
It is actually a 'Trionfo.' It is a road model of Novara sold by REI. I could not remember the name when I did the post.
Old 12-29-10, 10:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
thanks! Very cool, can I suggest adding a column for Make/Model?
Add the column yourself!

I'm half kidding. Is it OK with you if we make improvements to the design of the spreadsheet?

Old 12-29-10, 10:57 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
I'm thinking that rhm should post the link to the spreadsheet in his the first post so it is very easily found, because this thread could likely grow quickly and then we could easily refer back to the first post for the link rather than search through or try to remember it is on page three halfway down.
Old 12-29-10, 12:54 PM
r0ckh0und 

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
I have a few others that IMO just would'nt be practical to ship. I'd welcome Chicagoland or St. Louis area trades for these as well as a boatload of others though.

63cm World Sport (70's)
63cm World Sport (80"s)
2-58cm World Sports (80's)
60cm Dawes Lightning
63cm Sprint
59cm Raleigh Technium

........again, I'm looking for 53-54cm lugged steel or any steel mtb, an early 90's Marin Pine Mountain can move to the front of the line

Last edited by r0ckh0und; 12-29-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 01:43 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
I'm looking for just about anything decent in 58-60cm.
Here is one I can offer:
1990 Schwinn CrossCut
seat tube 55cm; top tube 61cm
Taiwan, lugged construction
Double-butted cromoly main tubes
Fits 700C, Canti Brakes
Replacement chrome fork w/some rust
Paint is "B"
Should be considered frame/fork/headset/seatpost although I can prob. send it with more parts like that white Mtn Rack. Wheels and derailleurs are gone.
Good commuter/sport tourer
Wonder how it'd do as a "cross" bike? I think I'd like something a bit shorter for aggressive riding (save my delicates). I think I have a something w/ C paint somewhere.... (58ish)

Last edited by RobE30; 12-29-10 at 01:51 PM. Reason: don't wanna ruin the game

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.