Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'54 Raleigh Sports acquired

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-06-13, 08:40 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts

A short time ago i bought my wife a '70 Raleigh Sport:

I found myself jumping on her bike pretty often for all the quick around town stuff instead of my competition. So i decided to keep an eye out for one of my own, and I found one! It's a dated '54 on the hub, has original the brooks(pretty much toast) and a front dynamo hub. shifter was replaced in the 80's, not very good looking imo with the colors, it looks... like its from the 80's lol.

sure wish i had the original shifter
Old 01-06-13, 09:06 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Nice snag, RC. I find my (53) Sports is a favorite for short hops too.
I like the patina. (Your rear fender has even less white remaining on its white-tail than mine! )

I would invest in a more "proper" trigger shifter for it, as you had mentioned, and maybe a rear (black housing) reflector too, to complete the look.
Old 01-06-13, 10:47 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Georgious. I wonder of it has stainless spokes. Those really polish up nice. I bet that paint will shine up too. I love the older ones.
Old 01-06-13, 11:56 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
If you want to shine it up a bit, that paint will come around nicely with some rubbing & polishing compound. The paint seems to be in about the same condition my 59's was when I got it, and it's shined up pretty nicely. The rubbing compound will probably remove what's left of your decals though.

The "correct" Sturmey Archer shifter for this would be the "upside down" one, which may be a bit tough to find. I've heard that they were originally intended to be mounted under the left side of the handlebars rather than over the right side, but all old Raleigh catalogs I could find had the shifter in the more common place. The black plastic on the one that's on there should also come right off if you undo that screw, leaving you with plain chrome.

The 54 (and any '65 or earlier Sports) will have the "snap in" style double ended brake cables, too, which are absolutely impossible to find now, so you'll either have to get comfortable riding with the 60 year old set of cables that's on there now, or change your calipers.
Old 01-07-13, 04:47 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat
If you want to shine it up a bit, that paint will come around nicely with some rubbing & polishing compound. The paint seems to be in about the same condition my 59's was when I got it, and it's shined up pretty nicely. The rubbing compound will probably remove what's left of your decals though.

The "correct" Sturmey Archer shifter for this would be the "upside down" one, which may be a bit tough to find. I've heard that they were originally intended to be mounted under the left side of the handlebars rather than over the right side, but all old Raleigh catalogs I could find had the shifter in the more common place. The black plastic on the one that's on there should also come right off if you undo that screw, leaving you with plain chrome.

The 54 (and any '65 or earlier Sports) will have the "snap in" style double ended brake cables, too, which are absolutely impossible to find now, so you'll either have to get comfortable riding with the 60 year old set of cables that's on there now, or change your calipers.
Or make your own cables. IIRC there are several people on here that do just that. Some use bullet molds, others fishing weights.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-07-13, 05:56 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not a fan of homemade brake cables. If you need new cables it is better to replace the calipers, too. That way you can use standard cables.
Keep the original calipers of course, they should always go with the bike if you sell it.
Old 01-07-13, 05:56 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Also you've gotta find a reflector with black housing...
Old 01-07-13, 09:10 AM
auchencrow

On my '38 Raleigh, I fabricated home-made brake cables precisely because I did not trust the ancient cables, and wanted to keep the original calipers.
A (big enough) crimping tool (below) is an expense - but the 1/16" Campbell cable stops are cheap (~$1.24/package at Lowes).
I used the crimped-on stops in combination with the cable adjusters from a scrapped Simplex Prestige DT shifter.

I have confidence in my work, but Oldroads' recommendation to replace the calipers with more modern ones is probably the best/more conservative tack.

Old 01-07-13, 04:54 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

i appreciate the comments, but i know about the rear reflector! haha kinda obvious isnt it? does anyone have a link to some decent look-a-likes or even a little battery powered blinker that looks decent? i like to keep things original if i can, but cost and availability often play bigger roles than desire.

my front cable has been replaced and has an ugly anchor bolt and nut thrown on it. I feel that there shouldnt be anything wrong with making your own, as long as you use decent quality hardware. Auchen your set up looks nice, though i would personally cut the excess cable much closer. and WOW a '38? i know there are older bikes than that too, but its just awesome that the Sports has been around for so long! more pics of your '38 please?

Also if anyone has some good links for generator lights, and a frame pump would be pretty sweet too...
Old 01-07-13, 05:32 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP
i appreciate the comments, but i know about the rear reflector! haha kinda obvious isnt it? does anyone have a link to some decent look-a-likes or even a little battery powered blinker that looks decent? i like to keep things original if i can, but cost and availability often play bigger roles than desire.

my front cable has been replaced and has an ugly anchor bolt and nut thrown on it. I feel that there shouldnt be anything wrong with making your own, as long as you use decent quality hardware. Auchen your set up looks nice, though i would personally cut the excess cable much closer. and WOW a '38? i know there are older bikes than that too, but its just awesome that the Sports has been around for so long! more pics of your '38 please?

Also if anyone has some good links for generator lights, and a frame pump would be pretty sweet too...
My '38 Raleigh is actually a Golden Arrow - but the Sports models have been around in one incarnation or another from at least '38.
Here is a link to the catalog on Kurt's "Headbadge" website:

https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_cat_us38.html

My own Raleigh Sports is a '53 (below)

Regarding the rear reflector, a blinky would probably be an ideal supplemental light, but a black housing reflector would look great. If they're too dear, you might be able to pick up a proper round white on eBay and paint it for a lot less.
Old 01-07-13, 05:45 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
This frame pump looks like the original and will fit the pre-existing frame bosses: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Bicycl...dp/B000M4D6D2/
Old 01-07-13, 06:26 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

thanks pat! those look like just the ticket, and there are some for as low as 3-4 bucks, 10 shipped. anyone got those? hows the quality and functionality?
Old 01-07-13, 06:49 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Here is a picture of my 1954 Sports. It is all there except the saddle (period correct Wrghts) and the grips.
Old 01-07-13, 07:51 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

man why couldnt mine have had the full chain guard!

bill- i see you scooted the pulley for the shifter up, how does it work from that position? or is it more for looks?
Old 01-07-13, 08:28 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
That bike should shine up like a new penny... A little light oil on a clean rag can do wonders and polishing up the brightwork can be pretty easy with a homemade aluminium scrubby and some lemon juice.

The spokes on a Sports are going to be zinc plated, stainless spokes were the domain of higher end models.
Old 01-07-13, 09:28 PM
auchencrow

Meguiar's Scratch-X has been known to work wonders on that old black Raleigh paint.

Some earlier Sports did come with SS spokes,but I think by '54 that was done.

Last edited by auchencrow; 01-07-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 09:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My 54 Sports originally had 26 by 1 1/4 Dunlop plated wheels with zinc spokes, I swapped those out for some modern 700c wheels since the originals were in such bad shape.

My 1955 Lenton has stainless wheels and spokes and my '51 Sports also has plainer wheels.

My '54... Was originally a drop bar model like my 1951.

Old 01-07-13, 09:43 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

Old 01-07-13, 10:06 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
does anyone have a link to some decent look-a-likes or even a little battery powered blinker that looks decent?
For a battery-powered rear fender light, you can't go wrong with a Fenderbot from Portland Design Works. Looks pretty much like a dynamo-powered rear fender light.
https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/fenderbot%E2%84%A2

My girlfriend has one on the back of her '61 Raleigh Sports. While it's not the same as the original rear reflector, I don't feel it looks that much out of place.
Old 01-07-13, 10:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

For a nice front light, BM Lumotec Classic is a great choice as it works well with the old Dynohub and throws really decent light at 25 Lux which is the equivalent of about 200 lumens. The beam is also crisp and has a nice high cutoff so you won't blind oncoming cyclists.
Old 01-08-13, 12:16 AM
RALEIGH_COMP 

dang i didnt realize that generator lights were so pricey! maybe i should just set the front wheel aside for now and get a regular wheel along with some battery lamps...
Old 01-08-13, 12:31 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

dang i didnt realize that generator lights were so pricey! maybe i should just set the front wheel aside for now and get a regular wheel along with some battery lamps...
You already have the generator... If it is ****ioning well you are about 60.00 away from a decent quality headlight with a new wheel and decent battery lights being something that will cost quite a bit more.

Wanted to ask you to check your wheel size to see if your bike has 26 by 1 1/4 or 26 by 1 3/8 wheels, the first size is an EA1 and is more difficult to source than the more common 650A.
Old 01-08-13, 05:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Black surround reflectors are available from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI. Best bet is to call them. I ordered several from them a while back. Great service.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-08-13, 01:43 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

thanks Aron, those look perfect, and pretty cheap also!

i ordered up one of those frame pumps from Niagra cycle, 11 and some change shipped, not too shabby.

sixty fiver- I was thinking i would just keep an eye out for another sports front wheel without the dynamo, I wouldnt buy a brand new one. but you are right, even then the cost is still pretty comparable. not to mention i will have to keep buying batteries!
Old 01-08-13, 05:00 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

found some hardware around my work, i'm thinking this would look pretty clean if i can get it to work. I want to anchor the cable with two set screws, and hopefully they will be recessed or atleast flush with the outer surface of the sleeve. I just have to think of an excuse to be down in the machine shop since its not my department

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.