Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Moving to Minneapolis from Ann Arbor!

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 01:04 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So i'm moving to Minneapolis tomorrow! I have no bike friends out there yet and will need to make some new ones! Are there any fun riding events I should know about? Good weekly rides? Or even areas to just stay away from while riding? Shops to not even set foot into? oh yes, coffee and or good place to get a beer or some tasty food(i am vary interested in those kinds of things)?
Not trying to sound ignorant of the biking community out there but I can only research so much online, and an advice from people with feet(or wheels) on the ground out there would be very helpful. But i do have to say it looks like its going to be pretty great out there for riding. I am a big fan of bike polo, been playing for a good few years so I made sure to hit up the bike polo group already.

Any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

-Nick
Old 08-25-10, 08:33 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mplsbikelove.com/forum

Plenty of bike polo!
Old 08-29-10, 02:10 PM
shizzy

Bikes: Trek 4300, 85 Schwinn LeTour, Schwinn Link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
x10 on the bike love.
Old 09-12-10, 10:04 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
try PMing Khatfull...nice guy. He lives in that area, so he could probably hook you up with some other riders, routes, & clubs.
Old 09-15-10, 07:06 PM
MattG42C

Bikes: '01 Rockhopper, '11 Roubaix Comp SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some random thoughts on my part (I am in the eastern burbs of Saint Paul.)

- check out the Midtown Greenway if you're anywhere near south Minneapolis, basically a freeway/expressway for bikes. very cool.
- Erik's Bikes & Penn Cycle are the 'chains' of the area, but both started from pretty humble beginnings. I am partial to Erik's personally. I think all locations have group rides... I've only done one and that was a couple years ago, plan to do more next year.
- lots of independent small shops, One on One Bikes, Hub Co-op, Freewheel Bikes just to name a few.
- bike lanes are pretty decent all around, MUPs in the suburbs are mostly to be avoided IMHO.
- rolling hills abound, some lengthier climbs east of the metro (Afton, MN and the Saint Croix River Valley is my newest favorite area to find fun riding.)
- the Minneapolis Bike Tour is this weekend, I've heard good things about it - I'm pretty sure they close the roads. The same is true of the Saint Paul Classic, which was last weekend. Check out the Ironman Bike Ride (predates the triathlon, uses the name by permission,) in the early spring.
- Favorite post ride foods/beer that spring to mind: Punch Pizza, anywhere that serves Surly Cynic... really there are too many high quality restaurants in Mpls/StP to name.

Hope this helps. I bike commute to downtown Minneapolis at least once a week from the east side of town (40 mile round trip), but I wouldn't say I'm part of the Mpls bike scene-proper. Definitely check out mplsbikelove.com for that.

-Matt.
Old 09-20-10, 12:32 PM
Zaisaroni

Bikes: '07 Roubaix Comp, 2001 Trek 8500, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you going to be located.

I'll second Erik's. I helped a friend buy her first road bike, and Penn the way they tried setting her up was very old fashioned in a bad way. Asking her inseam, her price range, and what kind of bike she wanted (not what type of riding, no fitting). Eriks measures you up first and foremost, and then starts seeing what you want to use it for, what you're interested in. Selection is usually better, they have A LOT of specialized house stuff however. I've enjoyed the Erik's group rides too, many have finished, but a few shops are still doing theirs unofficially.

The Gateway trail MUP is pretty good, especially once you're heading out of maplewood/oakdale and into the rural areas. The trail from Highway 13 in Eagan to St Paul isn't bad either as far as traffic. Lots of good roads from the south metro out to the rural areas as well.

I did the MPLS Bike tour for the first time yesterday and loved it!