Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Clothing-From bike to office/bar

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 06:09 PM
aseth

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check, 1988-89 Crescent Pentasport, Generic State fixie :P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ya'll,

I'm new to biking year-round (spending my first winter in chilly, bike-pathed wisconsin), and so I'm starting to invest in winter clothes. I've been looking at picking up a jacket and some trousers from Swrve, so I have something comfy, and made for biking, but that looks not out-of-place when I'm out socially or at work. I'm wondering, though, if there are any other companies out there with online stores that I should check out before I buy anything. Rapha, I know, but, while I may drool over their clothes, they're a bit outside my price range.

Any tips would help.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-10, 06:48 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i tend to wear my knickers to and after work and usually wool sweaters too with a wool cycling jersey underneath.

for instance, long sleeved body armor shirt, followed by wool jersey, followed by a nicer looking (from thrift store) thinner cashmere sweater , followed with a heavier sweater(also from thrift store). Then a windproof jacket for wind protection. I look professional at work, can shed the layers while working or when I go out afterwards.

When i'm not wearing a cycling jersey I still wear the same sweater layers for every day clothing.

And for leg wear, i made knickers out of a pair of pants I got at Express Men, Directors Cut i believe, they look nicer than most regular khakis, don't cost much, and don't stain to easily. I wear these to work, to ride, to play bike polo in and to the bar.

Finding some nice sweaters is a big money saver. I think i paid a grand total of $8 for the two combined.
Old 11-08-10, 11:45 AM
buffalo_cody

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chrome has similarly styled, and priced items to Swrve.
Old 11-08-10, 12:08 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outlier has clothing designed w/ cycling in mind. Stuff like water repellent pants that you can wear to the office (like I'm wearing today cuz of the hail/rain this morning), dress shirts, merino tees, etc. It's pricey stuff, but well designed and constructed, and made in America. Throw some merino and cashmere tops on and you're ready for a business casual office and the bar afterwards.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!