Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

road morph broke, good replacement?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

road morph broke, good replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 02:06 PM
oakback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by oakback; 05-04-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 02:16 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call Topeak, tell them what happened and see if they'll replace it for free. I've got 3 of them I've been using for over 5 years The only thing I've had to replace are the internal 'O' rings for the presta/schrader option on one of the pumps, so far. Lezyne makes high quality pumps, but the foot retention did it for me.
Old 02-01-11, 02:55 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Best replacement is another one. Bad luck =/= bad product.
Old 02-01-11, 04:12 PM
Pinyon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak is supposed to be really good about that sort of thing.

Stores like Performance and REI, also have a good return policy. As long as it was not hit by a car, they will replace it for free.
Old 02-01-11, 08:54 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm lovin my Lezyne but I got it as a gift for Christmas and didn't have to fork out the money, its a beauty for sure. really well made and probably as light as the road morph that crapped out on me last fall.
Old 02-01-11, 09:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I wouldn't pay money to replace my Road Morph with another. I am planning on getting a lezyne, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not clear what the failure mode was, the plunger comes apart but it reportedly can be fixed.
Old 02-01-11, 09:22 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zefal HPX or Topeak frame pump.
Old 02-01-11, 10:24 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
There seem to be a lot of us with broken Topeak pumps. I know I've bought my last one, and think I'm not alone in that regard.
Old 02-01-11, 10:45 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
There seem to be a lot of us with broken Topeak pumps. I know I've bought my last one, and think I'm not alone in that regard.
Nope. I bought one, it failed, and tried the much vaunted customer service... I'm in no hurry to try any of their products again.
Old 02-02-11, 08:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
The only time I've broken a Topeak was because of my own stupidity. I currently have 10 of them on various bikes. Even if I had to replace them at a rate of one a month, I'd still use them because they are way better than the alternatives.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-02-11, 08:36 AM
RobertFrapples
all-weather commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackburn Mammoth 2Stage

I replaced my Road Morph G with a Blackburn Mammoth 2Stage and I am very happy with it. It is not as easy to use as the Morph, but the high-volume stage makes it quicker. It is easier to mount, and seems better built.

Product page: https://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps...mammoth_2stage

Edit: The Blackburn Airstick Longneck Evo adds the foot peg and hose features of the Morph in a more compact design. I just saw it on Blackburn's site, and have never used one.

Last edited by RobertFrapples; 02-02-11 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-02-11, 09:58 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The only time I've broken a Topeak was because of my own stupidity. I currently have 10 of them on various bikes. Even if I had to replace them at a rate of one a month, I'd still use them because they are way better than the alternatives.
Both of mine broke, the Joe Blow floor had a "they all do that" failure where they sent me replacement parts, and the minipump failed sometime when it was in my rack trunk and went unnoticed until I had a flat on my way to work. The alternatives must be pretty bad it they're better than the Topeak pumps I have.
Old 02-02-11, 10:10 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Call Topeak, tell them what happened and see if they'll replace it for free. I've got 3 of them I've been using for over 5 years The only thing I've had to replace are the internal 'O' rings for the presta/schrader option on one of the pumps, so far. Lezyne makes high quality pumps, but the foot retention did it for me.
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Best replacement is another one. Bad luck =/= bad product.
Originally Posted by Pinyon
Topeak is supposed to be really good about that sort of thing.

Stores like Performance and REI, also have a good return policy. As long as it was not hit by a car, they will replace it for free.
What was said above. Try to see if Topeak will help you out or just get another one. Bad products happen. In general, those are great pumps. I still have one that's like 8 or something years old.
Old 02-02-11, 05:54 PM
Pinyon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame pumps are really light, and relatively small. I'd consider ordering one online from someone like Performance, Nashbar, or REI. They honor their online returns as well. The shipping should be less than $7.
Old 02-02-11, 07:29 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If Topeak does not pull through for you on the replacement, i've been very happy personally with the Lezyne micro floor drive HPG. The only downside to the micro floor drive that i've experienced so far is that unscrewing the hose from the pump and then screwing it on to the valve is a bit slow compared to a pump with a normal flip lock head, but it is also very secure and doesn't leak out air.

I also own a Turbo Morph which still works, but the foot pad broke off. I would personally have to say that the quality on the Lezyne is higher.
Old 02-02-11, 08:43 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Here's my experience with the Planetbike frame pump:

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Planetbike warranted your 4 year old SuperFlash? Mine stopped working after 8 months and so I sent it back, I never got a response after couple of dozen e-mails, eventually I just gave up since I was wasting more time then the light was worth. The light was sent back about 6 or 7 months ago. Instead I bought a Blackburn Mars 4 which is a far better light in regards to brightness, side illumination, and so far durability."

My response:

We got totally different responses then. I got my 1st Superflash 4 years ago, a few months later while commuting to work I noticed that I lost the red part. I only had the white part left on the bracket. I was aware of Planetbike's lifetime warranty back then but needed a quick replacement, so I just went ahead and bought another one and told myself I'll warranty it one day. Well flash forward four years later(last October), I've bought the following Planetbike products: another superflash, SpeedEZ fenders, Blaze headlite, seatpack, frame pump, and cage.

After over a year of use I noticed the frame pump lost a piece and made it unusable. I emailed Planetbike, told them my problem with the 1 year old pump and the Superflash I got 4 years ago. I attached photos showing the problems as well as photos of my bike with all the stuff I have that are PB branded. They replied back saying that normally I would have to send in my defective items, then they would send out the replacements. Either new items or the same items repaired. But in my case, they just sent me the new pump and light. When I got the new stuff, I mailed the damaged goods back. So for $5 shipping, I got a new light and pump. I only had to send one email.
Old 02-03-11, 09:35 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by oakback
Todson asked me to send a pic, here is what I sent them. The end of the hose is just smooth, it just slips in and out of that hole, I'm not sure how it was affixed in the first place.

It's a compression fitting. The hose fits over the little inner tube on the pump and the nut tightens to hold it in place. It may, or may not, have a ferrule inside that clamps around the hose. Does the nut thread off? (I haven't taken one apart so I don't know.) If it does, just take the nut off, slide it up the hose, lubricate the hose with a little spit and slip it on to the inner tube. Then tighten the nut back on. You might have some kind of o-ring or ferrule inside the fitting too. Just make sure that is around the tube before you tighten everything up.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-03-11, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by oakback
The nut just spins, and the tube slides in easily, it's not tight at all.
When it came apart, there was probably an o-ring or ferrule that fell out. It needs something to compress the hose around the inner tube. I suspect that the nut snaps onto the fitting so that it's not removable. Keep at Topeak. It looks like a materials/manufacturing problem. Try their customer service again, just explain the problem to a real human and I'll bet they fix it.

Old 04-04-11, 10:19 AM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
I would personally have to say that the quality on the Lezyne is higher.
Here is an account of my first 0n-road experience with a Lyzene HPG Micro Drive pump:

On our ride yesterday (we ride a tandem) we picked up a screw in the rear tire. I booted the tire, replaced the tube and inflated it. The pump worked just fine but booting the tire was a bad idea. The boot chafed the tube and about 20 miles later we were losing pressure. I topped off the tire hoping that we could make it home without having to replace tube again. The pump worked fine this time also, but the tire wouldn't hold air and we had to stop about 1/2 mile later to repair it. This is where everything went wrong. I screwed the chuck onto the new tube to get air into it to give it shape, but when I unscrewed the chuck it took the valve out of the stem with it! I tried a couple of times to get the valve to stay in the stem, but I didn't have a way to get it tight enough that the chuck wouldn't unscrew it again. I ended up patching the first tube in order to get home. As I was pumping up this tube, I heard "psst", "psst" on every stroke. The pump was leaking air where the hose screws into the gauge! I tried tightening the hose, but the gasket was blown out and I couldn't get it to seal. We ended up limping home on the air I managed to get into the tire before the pump blew out.

This Lyzene is pretty, light and well-machined but its' shortcomings are not obvious. This pump not only failed in its' primary function - to pump air - but it also managed to render a tube useless! I've never had a Road Morph do this.
Old 04-04-11, 12:49 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to co2.
Old 04-04-11, 02:31 PM
fmileto55
FrankTheCrank

Bikes: Surly LHT, Bilenky Tourlite Travel, Scattante 650

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Lezyne. https://www.lezyne.com/micro-floor-drive-hpg

I too had problem with it removing the valve when unscrewing, I found it was due to the brand of tube (I can't remember which) I used. Once I switched to another brand I didn't have that problem.
Old 04-05-11, 12:25 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fmileto55
+1 on the Lezyne. https://www.lezyne.com/micro-floor-drive-hpg

I too had problem with it removing the valve when unscrewing, I found it was due to the brand of tube (I can't remember which) I used. Once I switched to another brand I didn't have that problem.
I have a road morph that I like. However, it broke and I had to argue with customer service to send me the replacement part free of charge. It's not like I couldn't afford the replacement, but to me it was the principle of the matter. Topeak ended up sending it for free. I'll continue to use it as long as it lasts.

If or when I need another micro pump, right now Lezyne is the best option (IMHO). I won't be buying another Topeak pump, and I won't be spending any money to keep it going. If/when it breaks, either Topeak replaces parts or I cut my losses and move on.
Old 04-05-11, 01:42 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by swc7916
Here is an account...
I've had this happen 3X with 3 different pumps and tubes.

It's probably not your pump's fault. On some tubes, the manufacturer doesn't torque the valve core adequately, and it will unscrew with the pump's chuck.

Tighten down the core with a wrench (it has flats for this purpose) and your problem is solved.
Old 04-05-11, 10:00 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy another Road Morph, it is the best portable pump on the market hands down.
Old 04-05-11, 10:01 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by metricoclock
buy a lezyne, the road morph is the second best portable pump on the market hands down.
fify

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.