Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could keep only one bike, which one would it be?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you could keep only one bike, which one would it be?

Old 11-12-15, 11:28 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Works for commuting, touring, weekend rides on and off road.

Old 11-12-15, 11:47 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Do I get to keep some extra wheel sets? With a wheel/tire swap my litespeed blue ridge does it all, tour, comute, light off roading, and fast club rides. Light and built like a tank, It is my bike of choice with the others gathering dust.
Old 11-12-15, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of these posts read like this:

blah blah......look at my awesome bike.....blah blah blah.
Old 11-12-15, 12:01 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Why go with so much wheel swap? Build a disc hub and put a tomicog or a velo solo cog on it and just flip it!
I started with one wheel, then got another.
Old 11-12-15, 12:08 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983

Why would you expect this topic to be any different than the majority of other BF topics?
Old 11-12-15, 12:12 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I like looking at awesome bikes!
Old 11-12-15, 12:13 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by Worknomore
Do I get to keep some extra wheel sets?
I vote yes.
Old 11-12-15, 12:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts

Old 11-12-15, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Why would you expect this topic to be any different than the majority of other BF topics?
True, true.
Old 11-12-15, 12:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian deacon
I have two bikes and if I was forced to downsize I would keep the fixed gear bike. The geared bike is more practical but the fixed gear is more fun.
Yeah! A man of my heart.

Ben
Old 11-12-15, 12:24 PM
agenkin

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Salsa Vaya, Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have only one bike. It's a steel touring bike, and I've been going on up to 180km rides with it, paved and gravel, commuting year round (including in snow), carrying a week's worth of groceries, etc.
Old 11-12-15, 12:31 PM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Pretty easy decision - my Kona Jake the Snake. That poor bike has been grossly ignored the last couple years, but it's easily my best and most versatile bike.

That said, I'd have a hard time giving up my fixie, which is my go-to bike for urban trips.
Old 11-12-15, 12:34 PM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yeah! A man of my heart.

Ben
Thanks. Full disclosure: I was thinking I could keep the fixed gear and steal the geared bike back.
Old 11-12-15, 12:50 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
I currently have six bikes. If I could only keep one it would have to be my carbon fiber Kestrel road bike. It's not very versatile, but I just love every second I spend riding it. Crazy smooth and great handling. I can't imagine giving it up.

I'm not about to muck it up with fenders or subject it to the abuse of winter (that's why I have other bikes.) If that were my only bike I'd wind up not riding on rainy days and during the winter, so that would be sad.

From a sheer practicality standpoint it would make more sense for me to keep my Diamondback hybrid that's equipped with fenders, rack, horn, etc and swap out winter tires. But while that bike is nice it doesn't speak to my soul the way the Kestrel does. So if I can only keep one I'm making the impractical choice.

Thankfully I don't have to only keep one.
Old 11-12-15, 01:20 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If I could only keep one bike it would have to be a bike that can be used for just road riding, gravel roads, commuting, and touring, so my new titanium bike would be tossed out...damn it! So that would leave either the Schwinn Le Tour Luxe or the Mercian Vincitore Special; looks wise the Mercian wins hands down.
Back in '95 when I had to move from St. Louis to SoCal (post divorce plus new job) I did have to pick just one bike and I picked my Mercian Vincitore. It served me well since it was several months before my car and other bikes were shipped out. Great to see another Mercian rider on this forum!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-12-15, 01:45 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

So, where is your awesome bike?
Old 11-12-15, 01:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts

Well OP didn't say "if you could buy/have only one bike...", he said "if you could keep only one bike...", which is almost the same as "what is your favorite bike"?
Old 11-12-15, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Well OP didn't say "if you could buy/have only one bike...", he said "if you could keep only one bike...", which is almost the same as "what is your favorite bike"?
...which is different than "please show off how much more awesome your bike is than everyone else's."

Dial the cynicism up and you'll see it.

Originally Posted by alan s
So, where is your awesome bike?

Perhaps I am showing my cards as jealous because my bike is too mediocre to compete with others in this thread.

Perhaps I don't even have a bike.

Perhaps I am just a bot...

Last edited by 1983; 11-12-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 02:10 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd keep my disc trucker. I'd want to keep my Jamis Renegade, but the trucker is way more practical.
Old 11-12-15, 02:56 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's actually one of the things I find interesting about this question. If I could only keep one bike, it wouldn't be the bike that's my favorite. In fact, if I whittled them down one by one the bike that I ride least often (the mountain bike) would be one of the last to go, because it is so much better at what it does than the others. The bike I said I would keep would ultimately win out over the two that are my favorites because it is still pretty good at the things I use the other bikes for. But I guess that's just because all of my bikes are so awesome.
Old 11-12-15, 03:12 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
While I love my Bakfiets, 99% of my mileage is without the kids, so I'd keep my singlespeed.
And yes, the Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno is a pile of crap compared to many. But it's my fun bike and it fits me better than the other piles of crap hanging from my rack.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 11-12-15, 03:30 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Another reason for this thread... the first two bikes that I bought, were not the bikes that I would choose to keep - in fact, I didn't... I sold both of them. Maybe it's best to buy the bike you would keep first and then buy bike N+1. That is the way that I wish I would have done it. Anyway, maybe we're doing this wrong, we should probably all spend more time thinking about our next bike, huh?
Old 11-12-15, 03:51 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by InTheRain
Another reason for this thread... the first two bikes that I bought, were not the bikes that I would choose to keep - in fact, I didn't... I sold both of them. Maybe it's best to buy the bike you would keep first and then buy bike N+1. That is the way that I wish I would have done it. Anyway, maybe we're doing this wrong, we should probably all spend more time thinking about our next bike, huh?
When I bought my first house (a townhouse), I knew it wouldn't be the last house I'd own. The second house my wife and I bought together. It checked all the boxes but in all honesty neither one of us are super enamored with the house itself. We do like the location and we've been there 15 years, but once the kids are gone, there's a good chance we'll buy something else.

You make a purchase based on what you know at the time, what you can afford, and what appeals to you. Getting some miles under your belt may influence future decisions. That's not a bad thing. I think the only time there should be major regrets is if you were to spend a small fortune on a bike you intensely dislike and can't recoup very much of the cost by selling it, or if a bike is such a poor choice that it puts you off cycling altogether.
Old 11-12-15, 04:06 PM
Andy_K 

I firmly believe that the main purpose of a first bike is to teach you what you want in a second bike.

My first bike (as an adult) was not at all what I ended up wanting. It was a GT Timberline, a "comfort" bike with entry level components and cheap front suspension. I outfitted it with a rack and fenders and it did OK for me, but after a year I knew I wanted something else. My second bike, a 2008 Kona Jake, was great and I used it for everything for years. My only complaint was that I wished it had disc brakes. So the first year Kona made a Jake with disc brakes I bought it, and that's the bike I'd keep now if I could only keep one.

Of course, a secondary purpose of bikes 2 through N is to teach you what else you want for bike N+1.
Old 11-12-15, 04:22 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I think it takes a while for someone to decide what kind and size of bike they work best with, and even if they do settle in on something stable for that, it will still change anyway. So yeah, the next bike is always where it's at!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.