Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giro Shoes - WARNING!!!!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giro Shoes - WARNING!!!!

Old 04-19-19, 09:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by sooni
I have short, kinda wide but not "wide shoe wide" feet with narrow heels.

Shoes that worked for me widest to narrow Shimano, Giro, Sidi. Fizik was too narrow. Spillover on the carbon sole both infinito and r5.
Definitely steer clear of Mavic shoes then. My feet are quite narrow, and Mavic shoes are perfect(for me).
Old 04-23-19, 09:02 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I don't have a half hour to be messing around with laces before and after rides!!!

I am such a lazy bastard the pair of lace up MTB shoes I have stay tied loose and I pull em on and off
I literally tie them as fast as any other shoe, and even during a century don't touch them again.
Old 10-10-19, 02:10 PM
Rachael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
urgh, so i got home tired and grumpy from a ride, cause riding bikes is fun right, and couldnt get my shoe off, my partner thought i was just being stupid and came to see what i was whinging about and agreed it was jammed up proppa good. found a screw to undo where the buckle attaches to the shoe. Then an hour of trying to work it out swearing throwing shoe and giving up. Next morning did a google and found this thread which got me releasing tabs etc but still no luck, wasnt keen on cutting back the tab so... drilled out the rivet, pulled it apart, countersunk rivet hole, put back together and reused old rivet to make to whole again. There are 2 attachment points on the shoe so have moved buckle to the other one so cant over tighten again. (they are mountain bike shoes so not sure if road ones have the same screw to move the buckle) happy ending.
Old 10-10-19, 03:43 PM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Still bitter about customer service - Had plenty of opportunity to get some Giros on great deals but will never touch their products again.
Old 10-11-19, 01:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by sooni
Still bitter about customer service - Had plenty of opportunity to get some Giros on great deals but will never touch their products again.
Eh, buckles are heavy. Straps or laces are far superior.

And lighter.

All of my shoes are Giros. None have buckles.
Old 10-11-19, 04:43 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Definitely steer clear of Mavic shoes then. My feet are quite narrow, and Mavic shoes are perfect(for me).
Mavic shoes come in various widths
Old 10-11-19, 09:59 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
I have no advice, but have been wearing Giro MTB shoes with ratchet straps for a number of years now and never had any problems like the OP's.
Looking at the pics though, I have to wonder how anyone has feet that are that skinny vs length that they need the straps done up so far?
Did you need to do up your Sidi's that much too?