Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Old 02-06-19, 05:01 AM
lestat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Its a 34T XT chainring. To be honest I would have preferred at least a 38T but this bikes gets used mostly for social rides. For that, its awesome!

your toughroad looks awesome. I would to know how you get this setup please. I got the 2016 Toughroad SLR2 that I’d like to convert into a 1x10 or 11. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-19, 12:47 PM
Osin83

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear List

Originally Posted by lestat
your toughroad looks awesome. I would to know how you get this setup please. I got the 2016 Toughroad SLR2 that I’d like to convert into a 1x10 or 11. Thanks in advance.
I just purchased all of the components to make a pretty similar build. I went Sram instead of Shimano mainly due to price. I picked up a GX 12 speed shifter, rear derailer, chain and a Sunrace 10x50 cassette as a bundle online for $235. I also picked up a lightly used Sram X1 gxp 1400 crankset w/ BB included for $70 off ebay. ​​​​​​

It's a pretty similar setup to the XT setup above. I just need to pick up a few specialty tools such as a chain whip wrench, BB tool, etc to make the swap.
Old 04-28-19, 10:38 AM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
The Toughroad SLR 2 is on sale everywhere here in the States for $850 down from $1,000. I currently ride a Giant Escape 2 as my daily commuter & touring bike which i love...but was thinking of nabbing the Toughroad for more adventure touring. Especially since i heard a rumor that they might be discontinued. Maybe thats what the price drop is about?
Old 04-28-19, 12:40 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeTall
The Toughroad SLR 2 is on sale everywhere here in the States for $850 down from $1,000. I currently ride a Giant Escape 2 as my daily commuter & touring bike which i love...but was thinking of nabbing the Toughroad for more adventure touring. Especially since i heard a rumor that they might be discontinued. Maybe thats what the price drop is about?
My assumption (based on absolutely no knowledge :-) or wish is they will update it to have TA and hopefully get rid of the D-shaped seatpost. This basically is a great flat bar gravel bike and someone may want to install a short dropper etc. and hopefully they get rid of that wedge seatpost thing and use a regular clamp. I hate it every time I adjust height.

I just checked the website, $850 is the official MSRP from giant. so the LBS should be able to give an even better deal. That makes the SLR 1 an even worse deal since that is not on sale. BTW: i don't like their naming scheme where the lower number is the "better" and more expensive bike.
Old 04-28-19, 01:02 PM
BikeTall

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
My assumption (based on absolutely no knowledge :-) or wish is they will update it to have TA and hopefully get rid of the D-shaped seatpost. This basically is a great flat bar gravel bike and someone may want to install a short dropper etc. and hopefully they get rid of that wedge seatpost thing and use a regular clamp. I hate it every time I adjust height.

I just checked the website, $850 is the official MSRP from giant. so the LBS should be able to give an even better deal. That makes the SLR 1 an even worse deal since that is not on sale. BTW: i don't like their naming scheme where the lower number is the "better" and more expensive bike.
Kinda agree about the seatpost, but for a diff reason. I don’t adjust the seatpost at all on my Giant Escape. Once i set it, thats it. And adjusting it on the toughroad may be a pain compared to a regular clamp. But turning an alan key is not so difficult.

what concerns me more about the d post is if touring in a foreign country or out in the boondocks, and your seat post gets damaged or stolen...good luck trying to find a replacement.

Also, the $850 price is not the regular price...it’s the sale price. Even says “on sale” on the offical Giant website. I think they are trying to clear out inventory. So maybe the rumors of it being discontinued are true, i dunno. Even my local bike shop has it for $850. Doubt i could get it for less. It’s already $150 off what it was just a few weeks ago.
Old 04-28-19, 02:46 PM
HerrKaLeun

Kinda agree about the seatpost, but for a diff reason. I don’t adjust the seatpost at all on my Giant Escape. Once i set it, thats it. And adjusting it on the toughroad may be a pain compared to a regular clamp. But turning an alan key is not so difficult.
The difficulty isn't the allen key, it is to get that wedge loose that is a pain. Or taking the post out to re-lube etc. A clamp with allen bolt would be fine. This kind of prevents sharing the bike with family - I don't do that, but is a concern if someone comes to visit etc.

In winter I wear heavy boots and double-socks, so in winter I need to have the post a few mm higher.
Old 04-29-19, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The difficulty isn't the allen key, it is to get that wedge loose that is a pain. Or taking the post out to re-lube etc. A clamp with allen bolt would be fine. This kind of prevents sharing the bike with family - I don't do that, but is a concern if someone comes to visit etc.
Fake news. I have the D-fuse seat post on my Giant FastRoad and none of these problems exist.

Matter of fact, it's one of the better ideas in the bike industry lately. The seat is on straight every single time. No need to try and eyeball it up with the top tube.

The likelihood of breaking the seat post or it being stolen is near zero. Not enough to justify not liking it.
Old 08-06-19, 05:42 PM
sw686blue

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 2017 Toughroad SLR1. Can someone tell me if the cables are routed through the bottom tube or are they just covered by the plastic mud guard?
Old 08-06-19, 09:21 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by sw686blue
I'm looking at buying a 2017 Toughroad SLR1. Can someone tell me if the cables are routed through the bottom tube or are they just covered by the plastic mud guard?
They are covered the same way as the SLR 2
Old 08-07-19, 05:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
The Roam bikes have the same downtube protector (that the Toughroad uses) and I think it's the best of both worlds. The cables are protected and stay clean and dry like with most internally-routed cables, but you can also easily remove the protector to service or replace the cables without the use of special tools (often required with internal routing). Everything goes through that downtube protector: both shift cables and the hydraulic brake line.

I think it's a terrific approach to cable routing.

(That said, I have removed the splash "wings" from mine, and use just the main protector/cable tray component.)
Old 08-12-19, 03:55 AM
roguewave

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, it’s been a while....question for those with more bike knowledge than I.

I noticed my 2016 SLR 2 rear brake is not holding pressure, I bought the brake fluid and bleed kit but it only lasts for a few days and I lose pressure again. Anyone else had a brake system failure ? And if so what did you buy to fix or replace the stocker?
Thanks!
Old 08-12-19, 08:06 AM
hokiefyd 

I imagine there's a leak somewhere in your rear brake system -- or a LOT of air in the line. If you don't have an external leak, then I suspect you're not getting the system bled properly. Are you bleeding from the bottom up, pushing from the caliper end and catching fluid at the brake lever end? You may need to push a few syringe's worth of fluid through the system to get all the air out (if a lot of air is in the line).
Old 08-13-19, 07:07 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I think I have a leak somewhere, I just need to pinpoint where. Are these components rebuildable I wonder or do I just have to buy the whole rear brake set?
Old 08-13-19, 08:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by roguewave
Thanks, I think I have a leak somewhere, I just need to pinpoint where. Are these components rebuildable I wonder or do I just have to buy the whole rear brake set?
It would depend on the nature of the leak. Any component can be replaced. If it's a leaky seal within the rear caliper, you could replace the rear caliper itself. Same with the brake lever -- if there's a leak in the master cylinder there, the lever could be replaced. If there's a leak at a line connection at either the brake lever or brake caliper, you could replace just the fitting (and hopefully fix the leak).

In practice, it's often easier to simply replace the entire sealed thing. Fortunately, parts are available online pretty inexpensively.

Edit: another alternative is converting the brakes to mechanical disc brakes (cable-operated). Then there's no fluid to worry about -- it's just cables and cable housings. There are pros and cons to both...potential fluid leaks definitely being one of the disadvantages to hydraulic!

Last edited by hokiefyd; 08-13-19 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 08:30 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent info, thank you !
Old 08-17-19, 12:18 PM
HerrKaLeun

This may have been answered in this thread, but I didn't readily find it.

I bought rear clip-on fenders. but like most they are made for round seatposts. I assume all are made for round seatposts. Since the Toughroad has a D-shaped bost, this doesn't really tighten and stay straight. In addition i have the carbon seatpost version, which may suffer from any rough scratches.

Anyone who has resolved this problem? Maybe a sort of segment of a circle shaped chim would make the post appear round.
Old 10-31-19, 09:57 AM
cirian75

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made a big mistake 18 months ago

sold my TR2016

Undid the mistake

Bought a TR2018
Old 11-01-19, 07:50 AM
prj71

I really wish they would make this bike in carbon with thru axles.
Old 11-01-19, 06:56 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely. This bike has the capability to be completely badass like the Sirrus X Comp. Carbon frame, thru axles and not QR, 11 or 12 speed drive train, etc. Giant completely missed out on a specific demographic of buyers. Granted this demographic would be very select but it would be nice to have something that competes with the Sirrus X.
Old 11-04-19, 02:43 AM
Henny

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just saw this thread pop up in my subscribed threads....
Just a small update on my SLR1. Last week I turned 14,000 miles over on it. It’s still going strong! I only had to replace tires, chains, brake pads, front shifter cable and a pedal.

Here’s to the next 14k!

Old 11-05-19, 08:52 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by FM1178
Absolutely. This bike has the capability to be completely badass like the Sirrus X Comp. Carbon frame, thru axles and not QR, 11 or 12 speed drive train, etc. Giant completely missed out on a specific demographic of buyers. Granted this demographic would be very select but it would be nice to have something that competes with the Sirrus X.
The Sirrus X is actually pretty nice. I tried one out and my girlfriend has one. It's lacking on space for wider tires though. It's the one thing that has kept me from buying it. It's limited to 38mm tire width. If it allowed 45mm I would be on it.
Old 12-30-19, 04:17 PM
nantman85

Bikes: Jamis Quest

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in trying one of these as a do it all commuter and family ride bike that can go anywhere.

In stock form can you get full mudguards on as well as the rack or would you need to go down in tyre size?

cheers
Old 12-30-19, 04:37 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by nantman85
In stock form can you get full mudguards on as well as the rack or would you need to go down in tyre size?
Here's a current thread in the Touring subforum about just that -- mounting mudguards to a ToughRoad. It sounds like the downtube protector may need to come off to do it, but it works otherwise.
Old 01-05-20, 06:56 PM
BikeTall

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Henny
I just saw this thread pop up in my subscribed threads....
Just a small update on my SLR1. Last week I turned 14,000 miles over on it. It’s still going strong! I only had to replace tires, chains, brake pads, front shifter cable and a pedal.

Here’s to the next 14k!

Nice. Congrats. The Toughroad SLR1 is my dream adventure touring bike. I was bummed to hear they discontinued the flatbar version here in the US. Only the SLR 2 and rumor is that next year it will be gone too. I may just have to cross the border into Canada to nab one this spring. Enjoy your next 14,000!
Likes For BikeTall:
Old 01-05-20, 07:10 PM
Henny

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Nice. Congrats. The Toughroad SLR1 is my dream adventure touring bike. I was bummed to hear they discontinued the flatbar version here in the US. Only the SLR 2 and rumor is that next year it will be gone too. I may just have to cross the border into Canada to nab one this spring. Enjoy your next 14,000!

Thanks! Yes, it’s been a good bike! Since that picture, I have another 540 miles on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.