Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strangeness - are my tire sidewalls defective?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-24-19, 03:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

I've been riding on these tires since mid-August and they've been progressively popping fibers on the sidewall between the sidewall and the tread. Strangely enough, the majority of the popping fibers are on the driveside both front and rear.

A couple pics:

Would you continue to ride these? In my estimation, at some point enough fibers will have let go to the point the rest fail - and I can foresee this being a quick, catastrophic type of failure. While currently the wheels/tires have been shifted to my short-ride (school) bike, I would like to know what people think. I'll keep using them if I'm overreacting, but will retire them if the consensus is that they're dangerous to use.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 09-24-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 03:31 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Who's the manufacturer? Are they old stock or new? I would just contact the mfgr and see what they say (if they're still around).
Old 09-24-19, 03:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
You're sure it's not some rub on the drive side? Reverse the tire on the rim and ride it for a while. If the fraying continues, then it just happens that it's that side of the tire evidencing the defect (and yeah, I'd say it's a defect, if the tire is fairly new). If it starts fraying on the "new" drive side, then look more closely for a rub.
Old 09-24-19, 03:39 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I think you're leaning to the right.

(Could frame misalignment cause this type of issue? I really think it's a defect))
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-24-19, 03:46 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Who's the manufacturer? Are they old stock or new? I would just contact the mfgr and see what they say (if they're still around).
They are Michelin Selects - don't know exactly when they were produced, but they were NOS and supple when I first mounted them.

DD
Old 09-24-19, 03:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by madpogue
You're sure it's not some rub on the drive side? Reverse the tire on the rim and ride it for a while. If the fraying continues, then it just happens that it's that side of the tire evidencing the defect (and yeah, I'd say it's a defect, if the tire is fairly new). If it starts fraying on the "new" drive side, then look more closely for a rub.
Nope, nothing rubbing the tires on either side, so that's ruled out. I have never seen anything like this except for really old tires on barn finds that are obviously ready for the trashcan. Never had it happen with a brand-new tire, vintage or not.

DD
Old 09-24-19, 03:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
We should keep politics out of this forum.

Old 09-24-19, 03:53 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Could frame misalignment cause this type of issue? I really think it's a defect.
I don't see how frame misalignment could cause this if there's no rubbing going on. I, too, think it's a defect - and I wonder how bad it is/might become.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-24-19, 04:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
IIRC, one of the issues with the extra-light version of the Grand Bois Hetre tire was that the tread was relatively thick up to the edges, yet the sidewall was very flexible. This difference in flexibility caused tire failures at the sidewall near the tread. I kinda wonder if something similar is happening here. The tread has become a little firmer with age, and it's forcing the sidewall to flex a little extra at that junction, causing the fabric to fray.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-24-19, 04:52 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
I think you have defective tires where the sidewall rubber is too thin to retain the sidewall pliers. Those fibers extend down to the bead and if enough of them let go, your bead could separate from your sidewall. Similar happened to an old Specialized Turbo foldable tire I had. The sidewall latex dried out and ceased to hold the kevlar/cotton sidewall fibers together and they let go at the bead, causing the innertube to blow out of the sidewall at the section where the bead separated from the sidewall.
Old 09-24-19, 05:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Keep ridin' 'em, but wear an extra tire around your neck like Stu.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-24-19, 05:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,190 Posts
Same thing is happening to my ears... I'd take them off and hold up to a light to see how thin they are compared to the other side. And trim those unsightly things, lol.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-24-19, 06:01 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
They look like they are old and the fabric has decayed. I've seen this happen to cotton tires many times. Can also affect rayon blend, etc. IMO they are toast and you should not ride them.

Here in lala land fabric can decay pretty quickly, I suppose from a combination of heat and ozone. Rubber goes south quickly too. I have to carefully consider sidewall fabric choices for this reason, especially for bikes that aren't ridden often.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 09-24-19, 06:07 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,245 Posts
I've had that a couple of decades ago, rode them anyway. I think an electric facial trimmer took care of it.

Perhaps DD leans left, he just flipped his wheel around to keep us off guard.
Old 09-24-19, 06:37 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
They look like they are old and the fabric has decayed. I've seen this happen to cotton tires many times. Can also affect rayon blend, etc. IMO they are toast and you should not ride them.

Here in lala land fabric can decay pretty quickly, I suppose from a combination of heat and ozone. Rubber goes south quickly too. I have to carefully consider sidewall fabric choices for this reason, especially for bikes that aren't ridden often.
Agreed.

I would retire them.
Old 09-24-19, 06:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
IIRC, one of the issues with the extra-light version of the Grand Bois Hetre tire was that the tread was relatively thick up to the edges, yet the sidewall was very flexible. This difference in flexibility caused tire failures at the sidewall near the tread. I kinda wonder if something similar is happening here. The tread has become a little firmer with age, and it's forcing the sidewall to flex a little extra at that junction, causing the fabric to fray.
Hmmm, this has me thinking. You know, when I first started riding on these tires (same wheelset, used on two different bikes) I would hear a funny noise and now I wonder if it is the tires flexing and popping threads. The noise is hard to describe - kind of a creaking noise, but not quite - but it's obvious the noise is coming from the wheel, and I think it's the tire flexing.

I will see how it continues to react on my short 2-mile school commute, but I don't think I'll take this bike too far from home. If a tire fails, I'll be walking home for sure!

DD
Old 09-24-19, 06:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I think you have defective tires where the sidewall rubber is too thin to retain the sidewall pliers. Those fibers extend down to the bead and if enough of them let go, your bead could separate from your sidewall. Similar happened to an old Specialized Turbo foldable tire I had. The sidewall latex dried out and ceased to hold the kevlar/cotton sidewall fibers together and they let go at the bead, causing the innertube to blow out of the sidewall at the section where the bead separated from the sidewall.
I've seen that happen once or twice - happened to me, too, but in my case there was no indication of prior fraying. The bead just failed one day when I was using a nylon tire lever on it when repairing a flat. Luckily I was home at the time!

In my case, I note none of the ends are fraying at the rim - just the tread. If they go, I believe they will at the tread.

These tires were nice and supple when I put them on. Running at 105psi recommended max. Oh, well...

DD
Old 09-24-19, 06:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by clubman
I've had that a couple of decades ago, rode them anyway. I think an electric facial trimmer took care of it.

Perhaps DD leans left, he just flipped his wheel around to keep us off guard.
I was thinking of getting up to speed and then leaning down with an X-Acto blade and letting it slice them off while riding

DD
Old 09-24-19, 06:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,245 Posts
Roll video when you do! Should get you in the Darwinism Awards for 2019.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-24-19, 07:04 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
that's the noise exactly - back before I knew any better, I once re-used a set of old and badly worn armadillos that should have been trashed long beforehand. The sound is like spokes settling in after a fresh truing, or maybe like the creaking of loosely-clamped saddle rails - but quieter.

I spent an entire afternoon's riding puzzling over what could be not tight enough, until the entire sidewall blew out spectacularly. Lightbulb went off when I saw all the frayed plies ...

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Hmmm, this has me thinking. You know, when I first started riding on these tires (same wheelset, used on two different bikes) I would hear a funny noise and now I wonder if it is the tires flexing and popping threads. The noise is hard to describe - kind of a creaking noise, but not quite - but it's obvious the noise is coming from the wheel, and I think it's the tire flexing.

I will see how it continues to react on my short 2-mile school commute, but I don't think I'll take this bike too far from home. If a tire fails, I'll be walking home for sure!

DD
Old 09-24-19, 07:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The tires are older, but they were in super shape and supple when mounted. Heck, with the exception of the fibers popping, the sidewalls are in awesome shape - and the tread is wearing at a low rate, too. The fuzz has me worried about long-term viability, certainly, but I've seen dried-out sidewalls before and that isn't at all the case here. It seems more a design flaw as suggested earlier in the thread.

DD
Old 09-24-19, 07:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by niliraga
...or maybe like the creaking of loosely-clamped saddle rails - but quieter.
That's exactly what it sounds like! Yeah, okay, I'd better take them off or else suffer an explosion and possible damage to metal, cloth, and skin

Thanks!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-24-19, 07:15 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Take the bike outside, slowly rotate the tire as you hold a butane lighter flame to the fibers. After they're burned off, go for a ride.
Problem solved.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-24-19, 07:31 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I'm just not a fan of the idea of using old rubber.

I ought to see if my old Specialized Ground Controls are out in the garage.

These Ground Controls came on my Stumpjumper- I thought they were pretty cool. The looked and felt kinda dry to me, but I rode them all over the place- I mean, a tire is a tire- right? So one day, I'm riding over to my brother in law's house- I hear this "flip-flip-flip-flip" sound, and I see what I think is a leaf stuck to my tire, and the noise is the "leaf" hitting the fork leg. I stop and realize the sidewall had separated and a big ol' "thumb" of innertube was sticking out between the strands and the "thumb" of innertube was striking the fork leg on every rotation. Because I thought these Ground Controls were something really special, I tried patching up the interior of the tire with patches and even a big patch of innertube- but it kept separating once I got the tire up to pressure.

I don't really know what could have happened- probably just a catastrophic bang flat, but no idea if it would have put me on the ground or whatever. A few years later, I had a set of Specialized "Touring" and "Expedition" tires that looked and felt about the same way. As plush as those tires felt- I knew riding on them was not a wise thing to do.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-24-19, 08:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I've been riding on these tires since mid-August and they've been progressively popping fibers on the sidewall between the sidewall and the tread. Strangely enough, the majority of the popping fibers are on the driveside both front and rear.

A couple pics:

Would you continue to ride these? In my estimation, at some point enough fibers will have let go to the point the rest fail - and I can foresee this being a quick, catastrophic type of failure. While currently the wheels/tires have been shifted to my short-ride (school) bike, I would like to know what people think. I'll keep using them if I'm overreacting, but will retire them if the consensus is that they're dangerous to use.

DD
Much as I hate to say it, these tires are dried out on one side and are weak therefore they gotta go. The tread and one side may be brand new but the point is, one side is too weak to ride. It's quite painful to fall at speed so either ride slowly or replace the tires, your choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.