Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern "Classic" shoes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Modern "Classic" shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 01:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
I'm currently riding around in a pair of these, by Cycleur de Luxe. Pretty good sneakers to use with toe clips.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-03-19, 01:31 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
After searching for a casual or touring shoe that has a sleek Classic style I found the William Lennon " Aturo" , Magliamo's "Strada" and a pair on Ebay handmade in Serbia at 115.00 U.S. plus shipping. Surprised that shipping the Aturo shoes would cost 43 Pounds, just a bit steep! All have real leather uppers with an appropriatly stiff sole for riding - in my case I use a MKS Sylvan Touring pedal with no toe clips so grip is important. It appears the Strada might just fit the bill with what appears to be free shipping from Belgium where they are based.

I am aware of other shoes such as REW Reynolds, Quoc Pham and Dromarti but are more than I want or will pay - budget and all that.

Here is a link to the Magliamo site: https://www.magliamo.be/boutique/cyc...-cycling-shoe/

Anyone else have difficulty finding an appropriate shoe - especially when riding in knickers and wanting to look somewhat stylish?
I recently came up with the amazing(!?) idea of looking on Ebay for used cycling shoes, and was pleasantly surprised at the selection. It seems like the selection of used shoes is in some ways superior to what you see being sold new, and the prices are almost never above $100. It's a good place to find a lot of discontinued brands and styles, which are often better than what you can get new.

Cycling shoes rarely get a lot of use anyway, unless the person races, and a lot of the fancier brands were originally bought by poseurs (who paid a fortune retail) and who only used them a few times, if ever at all.
Old 10-03-19, 02:08 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I recently came up with the amazing(!?) idea of looking on Ebay for used cycling shoes, and was pleasantly surprised at the selection. It seems like the selection of used shoes is in some ways superior to what you see being sold new, and the prices are almost never above $100. It's a good place to find a lot of discontinued brands and styles, which are often better than what you can get new.

Cycling shoes rarely get a lot of use anyway, unless the person races, and a lot of the fancier brands were originally bought by poseurs (who paid a fortune retail) and who only used them a few times, if ever at all.
Vintage clip/pedal compatible cycling shoes almost never come up used in my size, 46. Not a realistic option for many of us. For people that wear a 39 or something, there are usually some available. Probably should have kept my last pair of slot cleat shoes. It was a nice pair of Rivats.
For modern clipless shoes, I prefer to buy new and on sale if possible.
Old 10-03-19, 02:22 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Old saying: "There's a reason G-d created the Gentiles. There had to be someone who would pay retail."
Old 10-03-19, 02:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I bought these as a work shoe. Super comfortable. I haven't tried on the bike yet. They should work well. I run MKS Urban pedals with clips/straps.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Chra...=gearbeacon-20
Old 10-03-19, 03:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Giro Republic work for me.

I also have a pair of Puma Touring.
I love the Giro Republic, not just for looks. I have a pair in black that are for thin socks, and a pair in drab green, a bit larger, for thick socks. They are highly comfortable on my feet in addition to being functional. I also have a pair of Shimano XC-500-SL that have a classic look to them. They are just a touch tight in the toe, but just for my right foot. Once I get going and have been pedaling for a short while I do not even notice it anymore.
Old 10-03-19, 04:08 PM
ali28fksklj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I nabbed a very lightly used pair of the classic Avocet touring shoes recently on eBay. They are awesome.
Old 10-03-19, 06:07 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I'm currently riding around in a pair of these, by Cycleur de Luxe. Pretty good sneakers to use with toe clips.
I have a pair too. Good stiff sole.
Old 10-03-19, 07:05 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Those Ribo touring shoes look interesting.
I currently ride in these. They work well with clips and straps.
I have a pair of these Pumas, too. I really like them with the MKS platform pedals on my commuter, but with quill pedals and half clips, my foot ends up sore around the middle because they are so flexible. Do you have the same experience? It's too bad, because the gum sole with the scalloped pattern is very grippy.

In appearance anyway, they remind me of the old Bata Bikers. I never had the opportunity to try Bata Bikers, but I'm surprised that they have not been reissued given the periodic surge in interest and the current appetite for vintage cycling stuff.
Old 10-04-19, 05:54 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@noobinsf,

Yes, with platforms they are great.

With clips and straps on quill pedals, any real climbing or rides longer than, say, 40 miles the cage digs in.

I either use cycling shoes with Look pedals now, or soccer cleats with the spikes cut off with my quill pedal bikes.

The soccer cleats heave a really stiff, hard sole, and have worked well so far.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-06-19, 11:41 AM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Anyone here bought and have thoughts on the Prooü touring shoes? I'm thinking about ordering a pair but would love to hear folks' thoughts on fit--especially the toebox width.
Old 10-08-19, 01:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Spoke to a guy from HNB this weekend, because he had some really, really nice shoes for sale. Maybe not the cheapest, but if you like shoes ...

Old 10-08-19, 01:47 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

And if you ride a Japanese bike, these are a must, IMO:

Last edited by non-fixie; 10-08-19 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-19, 01:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I had this question not too long ago, while I planned around a rebuilt set of PL 6207 pedals. Ebay doesn't work for a size 43/44 foot, so I was left looking at $150 shoes. I settled for these:

Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5

Honestly, I was more worried about getting hung up on bulky Velcro straps over the toes in an emergency, and just wanted a smooth toe.
Old 10-08-19, 02:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by non-fixie

Spoke to a guy from HNB this weekend, because he had some really, really nice shoes for sale. Maybe not the cheapest, but if you like shoes ...
Those could double as bull fighting shoes.
Old 10-08-19, 02:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Those could double as bull fighting shoes.
You could probably win a dance contest in them, too.

Old 10-08-19, 10:51 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
STAN SMITH Adidas originals with the Fairway Green color at the heel.
I wore the Stan Smith Adidas tennis shoes back in the 1970's when I was a decent amateur tennis player, once ranked in the top ten in two different states for about five years but really I was probably overrated but I did outlast some much more talented competitors, mainly because I was probably in better shape and simply wore them down. I was swimming like crazy, bicycling and hanging out with marathon runners so my endurance was great especially in the heat so that allowed my slightly better than average tennis skills become razor sharp. I played my best while wearing the old Stan Smiths. They were my favorites for bicycle riding too.
Adidas brought them back about seven or eight years ago.
I wear them to ride. In 1979, the final round of a golf tournament, I left my Footjoys in the trunk of the other car in my garage, so when I arrived at the course for the last round of the tournament, I didn't have my golf shoes and had only the Stan Smith Adidas tennis shoes. That turned out great because I shot 35-32 , five under par 67 and won the tournament in my Stan Smiths. So, yeah, I like the Stan Smiths, because they are clean looking without much adornment and they are comfortable. Stan was one of my favorite tennis players too. I saw him in Hilton Head not too long ago.
Old 10-27-19, 05:52 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I like these Louis Guarneau Nickels. They take a recessed SPD cleat, and work for toe clips too. Not bad for walking. These have been through two Eroicas using the dreaded toe clips, and a ton of "real" riding on SPDs. I only paid $39 as a Nashbar closeout, but they are available other places for a little more. They come with a spare set of black laces. They come in light tan and brown too. I've also tried the Vittoria 1976, and without cleats the soles are too slick for either walking or pedaling, at least to me.

Louis Garneau Nickels with SPD cleats.

Vittoria 1976 and plastic cleats.
I will keep an eye out for the LG Nickels, they appear to have a generous toe-box, is that correct? I got a pair of 2nd-hand Vittoria "1976" but right afterward crushed my big toe in an accident and when last tried on the '76-ers the toe-box was too tight for my not-yet-healed toe. I bought the ones with "SPD" sole so hoping the sole won't be too slick/slippery.
Old 10-27-19, 06:44 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I will keep an eye out for the LG Nickels, they appear to have a generous toe-box, is that correct? I got a pair of 2nd-hand Vittoria "1976" but right afterward crushed my big toe in an accident and when last tried on the '76-ers the toe-box was too tight for my not-yet-healed toe. I bought the ones with "SPD" sole so hoping the sole won't be too slick/slippery.
Having both 1976 and LG Nickels, I'll say the LGs are way roomier in the toe box than the 1976 are. I wish I had bought the SPD versions of the 1976 because I like the classic look of the 1976, but for me the LGs are way more useful and foot friendly, at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the 1976. The big toe box fits in the toe clip, but rubs the front of the toe a little, so that I had to shim the clips forward with a few washers at the screw attachment to the pedal. Good luck finding them.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-27-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 10:56 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Having both 1976 and LG Nickels, I'll say the LGs are way roomier in the toe box than the 1976 are. I wish I had bought the SPD versions of the 1976 because I like the classic look of the 1976, but for me the LGs are way more useful and foot friendly, at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the 1976. The big toe box fits in the toe clip, but rubs the front of the toe a little, so that I had to shim the clips forward with a few washers at the screw attachment to the pedal. Good luck finding them.
Thanks for that review! I have some hunting to do, now...
Old 02-25-20, 09:17 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
"No results found" on link.

For a decently vintage-looking touring shoe, check out the Giro Rumble VR.
I received a few items from Belgium and the carton included a flyer about Prooü shoes. I know little of them but they have my attention.
eroicapassione.com

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-25-20 at 09:26 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-25-20, 09:59 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I received a few items from Belgium and the carton included a flyer about Prooü shoes. I know little of them but they have my attention.
eroicapassione.com

If you’re a size 45 EU, there is a pair of the striped touring “Mexico” shoes on the sale forum here. Brand new with a discount compared to buying from the site. (Not my sale.) I looked up both the Magliamo and Proou, and it looks like they are sourced by the same Spanish maker.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-sz-45-a.html

Last edited by noobinsf; 02-25-20 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 01:09 PM
Andy@64

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
I had a pair of William Lennon " Aturo" made a couple of years ago , i went to the workshop and its still very hands on. They are really good but they don't do half sizes and the sizes they produce are correct so i ended up with them a little on large side. Good shoes and don't regret buying them.
Likes For Andy@64:
Old 03-25-20, 02:10 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Which clip and strap shoes (Arturo, Magliamo) might fit like current Shimano shoes?
Old 05-23-20, 08:49 AM
Beachcycle

Bikes: Hybrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm looking for tan leather shoes sans cleats, thought I'd add a couple other names to the list:

1. 2Velo out of Belgrade - sell through their shop and ebay under user name 2velocom (only black and brown shoes though). $115

2. Mamnick Hibell in the UK.

3. Quoc Pham ($$$)

4. Ion Scrub Select - more of an MTB shoe, but highly regarded brand

I like riding on pins, and I think 'vintage' style is just the most practical, since it looks nice off the bike, depending on the shoe.

I really like these Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5, but not compatible with flat pedals :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.