Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake lever compatibility on Moser

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-13-19, 10:08 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts

Cantis work with road levers right, so how well will canti flat bar levers work with caliper brakes? I think they're deore LX and 600 tricolour.

Old 10-13-19, 10:29 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Try them and see.
How big a job is it to cable it?
You might be o.k. you might not.
Good pads and clean rims.
Old 10-13-19, 11:23 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

fair point, i'd just rather not waste the cables
Old 10-14-19, 05:52 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
That combination should be compatible. Caliper brakes are also "short pull" to my knowledge, so you should be in the right ballpark. The two primary types of brakes (that I can think of) that require "long pull" levers are linear pull brakes (often called V-brakes) and MTB-specific mechanical disc brakes. I think pretty much everything else (including road-specific mechanical disc brakes) uses "short pull" levers.

I think there is some variability there, even within the "short pull" category, but you should be close, anyway.
Old 10-14-19, 07:42 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That combination should be compatible. Caliper brakes are also "short pull" to my knowledge, so you should be in the right ballpark. The two primary types of brakes (that I can think of) that require "long pull" levers are linear pull brakes (often called V-brakes) and MTB-specific mechanical disc brakes. I think pretty much everything else (including road-specific mechanical disc brakes) uses "short pull" levers.

I think there is some variability there, even within the "short pull" category, but you should be close, anyway.
Yes, it is not a black-and-white thing but cantilever and calipers are grouped together pretty closely, far from V-brakes. Nice thing about cantilever brakes is that you can adjust the mechanical advantage some by varying the height of the straddle wire, if you are using one instead of the link wire, which must be swapped for a different one.
Old 10-15-19, 07:19 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yes, it is not a black-and-white thing but cantilever and calipers are grouped together pretty closely, far from V-brakes. Nice thing about cantilever brakes is that you can adjust the mechanical advantage some by varying the height of the straddle wire, if you are using one instead of the link wire, which must be swapped for a different one.
Originally Posted by hokiefyd

cool thanks i'll give it a go
ordered some purple cables