Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What kind of bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 01:28 AM
Kopyae

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike?

I'm thinking to buy a bike . Ride in town and sometimes roadtrips for a few miles. Roads are with concrete here. Bumpy roads.
What kind of bike should I go for?
Full-suspension? Road bike? Mountain bike? 700cc?
Old 10-20-19, 08:36 AM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Hi. I guess, I could be the first to try to help.

So, there aren't also any dirt/rocky roads in your area that you plan on travelling on, for road trips, correct?

What do you mean by "bumpy" roads: roads with potholes and deep cracks, or just an older road that is paved, but isn't smooth tarmac, and is a little bumpy?

How fast you would like to go (e.g. 3 speed, 21 speed) and if you're able to, unless your area is crowded with traffic) and your available budget might also be something for you to think about, too.

If it helps, I grew up using a mountain bike (without suspension) on the paved roads in my neighborhood; to and from school; and occasionally, on park trails, and didn't have any flats.

Now, I use a hybrid that has partial suspension, in rural areas and in the suburbs (on old roads with potholes and cracks, and a few dirt/rocky roads).

For the most part, I guess the suspension works and my ride, mostly, feels smooth, but there are still times that I notice my ride is a little bumpier from the old, paved roads (and, of course, the dirt roads with rocks are a lot bumpier for me, than on the road).

Last edited by anon06; 10-20-19 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 09:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
1st step- aay if you want flat bars or drop bars. Different riding fit/feel/setup and it's pointless for others to suggest bikes that you dont even want.
Next, list a budget. Again, it's pointless for people to suggest bikes you cant afford or bikes that are too cheap.

I'll go out on a limb and guess in general you will want a flat bar hybrid.
Old 10-21-19, 04:27 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
First question is your budget. If you are under $500 (and looking at new bikes), I'd say look at and ride a few flat bar hybrid bikes, probably what you meant by 700cc bikes. If you end up riding a lot and want to go faster, or you try a few off road trails and really like them, then you can always move up to something more specific and expensive.

Another budget issue: try out some bikes from a decent local bike shop and buy from a local bike shop. There are usually good sales after Christmas or even before Christmas. There are cheaper bikes available from big box stores and often some decent ones - but there are many that are poorly assembled, you can't test ride them and when they get out of whack quickly they aren't going to help you out.

I think you are in Minnesota - your area has a useful site Havefunbiking.com - you can find local biking clubs and bike shops. If there is a club near you, ask some of the members where a good local bike shop is - best starting point.
Old 10-21-19, 04:38 AM
Kopyae

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. That's very helpful to me. I'll try to contact with local groups . My budget is quite low up to $200. Seems I might need to go for the used bike. From reading all of your suggestion, I think I probably should start with a flat bke or a mountain bike with little suspension. As I'm a beginner, I will start with that and once I get used to that I'll consider other options. I'm only thinking to ride bike for ridding in town at the moment.
Old 10-21-19, 05:36 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopyae
TMy budget is quite low up to $200.
A used bike will give you a lot more value. Honestly for $200 not even use you can buy a new "toy store" bike.

Forget anything with a suspension, first off int hat price range they will be garbage. Secondly for road riding they waste more energy going up/down and not forward.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-21-19, 08:35 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Yeah, avoid suspension. It will be of limited usefulness on roads, and will be a possible point of failure or malfunction and/or will require more maintenance, add weight, make the bike more attractive to thieves, etc. etc. etc.

If the roads are bumpy get fatter tires and lower the pressure in them a bit. A non-suspension bike with wide soft tires will be more beneficial than a cheap suspension system.
Old 10-21-19, 08:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Next questions--what do you mean by a "few miles" and are there significant hills where you ride?

If you're talking fairly level riding for, say, 15 miles or less, you might have some fun with a cruiser with big smooth tires. Having ridden one of those around New Orleans for a few months, I can tell you that it's great for non-hilly but bumpy roads. And if you're going to ride it in the winter, just put tires with good treads on and you're good to go.