Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever replace a bike due to mileage/use?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-08-19, 09:20 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

Just curious how people here feel about deciding to replace / retire a bike based on miles and amount of usage.

I have a 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp that I bought used in 2009. Have put 24,000 miles on it (bought it with virtually no miles from the previous owner). The bike has carbon seat stays, and a carbon fork. Otherwise the frame is aluminum. Very few of the parts are original, and I've got the bike setup to where it works for me for road and gravel riding quite well.

I do a lot of backroad / country road riding, and have a tendency to bomb it down hills especially those I know well. There's hardly a ride where I don't hit 45+mph on a descent. I'm 210 pounds, and I have ridden this bike pretty hard. Never crashed it, no visible issues with the frame at all although I noticed some flaking of the clear coat on the seat stays last week and covered it with some clear nail polish.

So should I be concerned about fatigue of the frame or the fork, based on the amount and type of use this bike has seen?
Old 07-08-19, 09:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Neither frame material will give you much warning before it gives up the ghost. So check it over periodically and maybe keep the bombing down gravel to only 40mph in case that happens to be when your frame cracks?
There are well used 30 year old carbon frames and aluminum frames that are even older. Age and use doesnt mean there is a predictable impending point at which damage will happen.
Old 07-08-19, 09:55 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Neither frame material will give you much warning before it gives up the ghost. So check it over periodically and maybe keep the bombing down gravel to only 40mph in case that happens to be when your frame cracks?
There are well used 30 year old carbon frames and aluminum frames that are even older. Age and use doesnt mean there is a predictable impending point at which damage will happen.
I think there will be no difference between a catastrophic failure at 40 mph vs 45+. I guess the unpredictability is what concerns me. I get that a brand new frame and fork could break, but would like to understand the increase in probability based on the mileage and usage. That data probably doesn't exist (except proprietary product testing).
Old 07-08-19, 10:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by billyymc
I think there will be no difference between a catastrophic failure at 40 mph vs 45+. I guess the unpredictability is what concerns me. I get that a brand new frame and fork could break, but would like to understand the increase in probability based on the mileage and usage. That data probably doesn't exist (except proprietary product testing).
The 40mph comment was more jest than serious. Damn typed words dont express dry humor!

And yes- it makes sense that more use would increase probability of failure compared to a new frame.
Old 07-08-19, 10:05 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I swap up bikes when I get bored riding the same one but have never worried about fatigue of the components. It's a bicycle, not a plane...
Old 07-08-19, 10:07 AM
billyymc

The 40mph comment was more jest than serious. Damn typed words dont express dry humor!

And yes- it makes sense that more use would increase probability of failure compared to a new frame.
Ha..yeah that went over my head!

Maybe a better question would be - how many people would have (more than mild) reservations about riding a 12 year old bike with 24,000 miles on it, regularly hitting 45+mph on descents?
Old 07-08-19, 10:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

Yes. A ~1990 sport Peugeot I bought for $20 that had been hit hard by an SUV. (Trashed fork. Dented top tube. Both chainstays cracked and about to break. Rode it fix gear 8,000 miles but stayed out of the hills for fear of breaking it. Loved the ride so much I had a custom built so I could take that ride into the hills. When it arrived, the Peugeot was retired.

That is exactly why all my bikes (and forks) will be steel or titanium. Far less likelihood of the sudden failure common to both carbon fiber and aluminum. I've ridden several frames with multiple crashes on them for 20,000 miles or further.

And yes, I have had several steel frames break on me but those breaks have never been catastrophic. In fact, non were even ride enders (though I did drop out of a race for one of them. Rode easy back to the finish.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-08-19, 10:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Ha..yeah that went over my head!

Maybe a better question would be - how many people would have (more than mild) reservations about riding a 12 year old bike with 24,000 miles on it, regularly hitting 45+mph on descents?
High quality steel or titanium bike built of tubing that isn't light? I have no issues. My Peter Mooney (built probably from 531 tubing) has done 45+ mph many times and is now 40 years old with 50,000 miles. It is due for a new paint job this summer and I will have a good framebuilder examine it carefully after stripping.

Ben
Old 07-08-19, 10:32 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Does not apply to me. Miles don't compute on hardtails. They're ridden for fun, not to build endurance. I ever get rid of my aversion for wearing lycra and skinny tires maybe I'll change my mind. Money and actual wear and tear carries a greater weight than age. I retired my 2003 Trek 4900 because the cost of a having a whole new groupset installed was more than the cost of a new bike that had better brakes and suspension. I also discovered that they size was a bad fit for me too. I wish I could buy more cartilage too though, but apparently those upgrades are well out of my price range.
Old 07-08-19, 01:58 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
To your initial question, I changed bikes last year at the 20,000 mile mark. Not necessarily because I thought my bike would fail, but I could see a need fairly soon to put some money into it, and I thought I "deserved" a new bike. I'm so glad I did. The new bike is so much better than anything my old bike could have been.
Old 07-08-19, 02:29 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing one, the frame is approaching 50,000 miles. But more to the point, I can't figure out how to clean up the rust around the BB and keep it from coming back. I suppose I could strip it down, sand it, and have the frame powder coated and see how long it takes to rust out then...
Old 07-08-19, 06:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Aside from the obvious inspection for cracks; Corrosion in critical areas would be my factor as to when it's time.
Old 07-08-19, 06:34 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I can't believe you guys all missed the fairly obvious opportunity to spread the N+1 gospel.
Old 07-09-19, 03:35 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I can't believe you guys all missed the fairly obvious opportunity to spread the N+1 gospel.
haha...I'm aware, and although I discreetly lust after many bikes I've learned that prefer riding to maintaining so I keep my bike count down on purpose (one "road", one MTB, one SS).

Replacing my Tricross, I'd probably get a gravel type bike and two wheelsets to easily swap tire sizes depending on my planned ride. More or less the same purpose as the Tricross - which would either sit in a corner or be repurposed in some way.
Old 07-09-19, 06:48 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Hehe - this is opening my eyes. I'm already looking forward to my next N+1 and my new bike scarcely has 500 miles on it. I'm just looking forward to upgrading components. The honeymoon is just about over.
Old 07-09-19, 08:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
My oldest bike is at 16 years and 40,000+ miles. Most of the components have been replaced at least once, some have been replaced multiple times. As long as you’re willing to replace worn bits and pieces, a bike does not really “wear out” until and unless the frame fails. And I do not share some people’s concerns about carbon fiber “wearing out.“ Very forceful impacts may cause problems, but normal riding will not.
Old 07-09-19, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Neither frame material will give you much warning before it gives up the ghost.
This is a misconception that keeps getting spread around. Both frame materials give ample warning before failure. Most people just don’t know how to listen to the warnings. Neither material is going to just explode if it does fail.

If there is a material that doesn’t give warning before failure, it is steel. Steel just snaps and is broken. Fracture propagate rapidly and there is seldom the creaking and groaning that preceded aluminum failure.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-09-19, 08:51 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by Koyote
My oldest bike is at 16 years and 40,000+ miles. Most of the components have been replaced at least once, some have been replaced multiple times. As long as you’re willing to replace worn bits and pieces, a bike does not really “wear out” until and unless the frame fails. And I do not share some people’s concerns about carbon fiber “wearing out.“ Very forceful impacts may cause problems, but normal riding will not.
Yeah very little on my bike is original. Frame, fork, seatpost, handlebars. Pretty sure that's it. I've gone through several rear wheels with cracked rims. Replaced the crank mostly just because replacing the chainrings was almost as expensive. Right shifter wore out so replaced the set. Brakes were too flexy so replaced those. The CF fork is pretty stout on this thing. I really don't have a lot of concern about the frame or fork failing, but wanted to get more info and input.
Old 07-09-19, 08:53 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by cyccommute
This is a misconception that keeps getting spread around. Both frame materials give ample warning before failure. Most people just don’t know how to listen to the warnings. Neither material is going to just explode if it does fail.

If there is a material that doesn’t give warning before failure, it is steel. Steel just snaps and is broken. Fracture propagate rapidly and there is seldom the creaking and groaning that preceded aluminum failure.
Interesting. I probably dont' know the appropriate ways to listen to the warnings. Was strongly considering replacing it with a steel bike but now you tell me the asplode too! haha
Old 07-09-19, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I thought the question was about replacing a bike: N -1 +1 = N. There's still room in the garage for N+1.

Originally Posted by Koyote
My oldest bike is at 16 years and 40,000+ miles. Most of the components have been replaced at least once, some have been replaced multiple times. As long as you’re willing to replace worn bits and pieces, a bike does not really “wear out” until and unless the frame fails.
Mine's like that, or George Washington's hatchet. You know the story, this is the hatchet George Washington cut down the cherry tree with. The handle's been replace five times, and the head twice, but it's still George Washington's hatchet!
Old 07-09-19, 10:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Also known as the Ship of Theseus .. Paradoxical question ..

Old 07-09-19, 10:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Ok so for all intents and purposes, as I said ,there is little warning before failure. If 'most people don't know how to listen to the warnings', then its effectively like there aren't warnings for the users.

This could get fun- we are talking materials an semantics...a two for Tuesday for ya!
Old 07-09-19, 10:49 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
haha...I'm aware, and although I discreetly lust after many bikes I've learned that prefer riding to maintaining so I keep my bike count down on purpose (one "road", one MTB, one SS).

Replacing my Tricross, I'd probably get a gravel type bike and two wheelsets to easily swap tire sizes depending on my planned ride. More or less the same purpose as the Tricross - which would either sit in a corner or be repurposed in some way.
No idea but Tricross gang represent! I've got a 2008 (?) tricross expert that I bought as a frame in 2016 and built up with parts mostly cannibalized from a steel frame that I broke. According to Strava I've only got 12k miles on it. 800 of those miles came from four of my five Dirty Kanza 200 rides.

It still seems solid. If I were to replace it, it would be because of a) I finally had saved enough money and/or paid off my student loans, b) I want something with disc brakes, c) I'd like something with more tire clearance, and d) I'd like something with a little more stable geometry. I've found it to be a little sketchy on the descents.

But good lord has it been a solid dependable bike. Not bad for something I bought in something of an emergency situation.

Also, severely underrated frame. Kind of ahead of its time--with rack and fender mounts, clearance for wider tires (I've got 38s but I think you could squeeze 42s in there) and the third bottle cage mount. Most CX bikes at the time did not have those things.
Old 07-09-19, 12:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Honestly, with all of the kvetching on these forums about frames breaking, you would think that it’s a common experience. But I don’t think so. I personally know only one rider who has experienced this, and it was on a relatively new aluminum frame that obviously was not manufactured properly… And the crack developed slowly, gave plenty of warning, there was no catastrophic failure resulting in a crash. He just returned the bike and the manufacturer provided a new frame.

By the same token, I ran a bike rental program that included about 50 relatively low priced bikes with aluminum frames. Given the bikes’ MSRP, I would guess that each frame was manufactured at a cost well under $50. And the people to whom we rented them (for nine months at a time - a school year), beat the hell out of them. Never saw a single problem with any of the frames in six years.
Old 07-09-19, 12:22 PM
billyymc

Originally Posted by ksryder
No idea but Tricross gang represent! I've got a 2008 (?) tricross expert that I bought as a frame in 2016 and built up with parts mostly cannibalized from a steel frame that I broke. According to Strava I've only got 12k miles on it. 800 of those miles came from four of my five Dirty Kanza 200 rides.

It still seems solid. If I were to replace it, it would be because of a) I finally had saved enough money and/or paid off my student loans, b) I want something with disc brakes, c) I'd like something with more tire clearance, and d) I'd like something with a little more stable geometry. I've found it to be a little sketchy on the descents.

But good lord has it been a solid dependable bike. Not bad for something I bought in something of an emergency situation.

Also, severely underrated frame. Kind of ahead of its time--with rack and fender mounts, clearance for wider tires (I've got 38s but I think you could squeeze 42s in there) and the third bottle cage mount. Most CX bikes at the time did not have those things.
I've found it to be an excellent bike. I've put a decent amount of miles on it, ridden everything from gravel to 200 mile one day rides on it and it's never been anything but great for me. I find it rock solid descending, like it's on rails but my borther has ridden it and felt it was a little unstable descending so who knows.

Disc brakes would be a great reason to upgrade - I ride a lot of hills, and sometimes in rain

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.