Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spare chain links

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 02:39 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Spare chain links

What’s a good spare link to buy, KMC quick link? It’s for a 10-speed shimano chain. Honestly i have no idea what to get. Since i started riding mtb in 2016, all i bring are multi tools with only hex wrenches and philips and flat screwdrivers, mini pump and tubes, and luckily the only problems i’ve encountered are flat tires. It’s only now that i’m into road bikes that i bought a multi tool with chain tool, and i’m looking to buy spare chain links too. With my mtb, i do nothing more than 110 km on long rides. I plan to ride longer with my rb and wanted to be more prepared in case of an emergency.
Old 07-24-19, 04:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22574 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Lots of options but I use KMC quick link (10 speed version) with my 10 speed Shimano chain/drivetrain, no problems.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-24-19, 06:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've used Connex, KMC, SRAM, and FSA. For the most part, a quick-link is a quick-link. Buy whatever's convenient. The brand of the quicklink and the chain do not need to match.
Old 07-24-19, 06:15 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
For spares quick-links on the bike I carry used ones that have already been installed and removed once. Somewhat easier to install the used ones as opposed to new ones which is import to me on the road. I haven't had to use one yet but they should be plenty good to get me back home.
Old 07-24-19, 06:50 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
For spares quick-links on the bike I carry used ones that have already been installed and removed once.......
KMC for my 10 spd and same one on my 11 spd. NEVER only a one and done. Have used the same QL on 3 different chains after wearing out the chains. NOT being a hard (power) rider and flat lander most likely helps. Not recommended though.

BTW--have a NEW QL for a spare. Don't want to risk a used failure.
Old 07-24-19, 09:07 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I use the old masterlink and a few links from the worn chain as a spare.

Obliviously one shouldn't reuse old links, but this is just to get me home in case of chain failure. If that would happen, I obviously would install an all new chain.

If this is the first chain, and you don't have the old links for spare, just take a new chain including masterlink with you. This doesn't work for weight weenies, though.
Old 07-24-19, 09:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I've used Connex, KMC, SRAM, and FSA. For the most part, a quick-link is a quick-link. Buy whatever's convenient. The brand of the quicklink and the chain do not need to match.
Speed does matter though.
Old 07-25-19, 12:41 AM
iamLefty

Thanks guys. Is there another tool for the ql i need to bring on rides aside from the chain tool? And it’s ok to remove these from time to time for easier chain and drivetrain cleaning, right?
Old 07-25-19, 12:42 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by datlas
Lots of options but I use KMC quick link (10 speed version) with my 10 speed Shimano chain/drivetrain, no problems.
Is there a specific ql for mtb and rb, or does it work for both? And are these safe when riding fast?

Last edited by iamLefty; 07-25-19 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-25-19, 12:51 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
If this is the first chain, and you don't have the old links for spare, just take a new chain including masterlink with you. This doesn't work for weight weenies, though.
Yes this is a first chain. My rb is just almost 6 months old. That’s another option i’m thinking, a new whole chain, i guess i can bring that on long rides when i carry a backpack. Usually it’s just a small saddlebag for me, then the rest go in the jersey pocket.You can buy a new chain with quick links already installed, right?
Old 07-25-19, 05:09 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I have Shimano and KMC quick links. They say to not reuse Shimano ones but I've been doing it for years with no ill effects. these things are cheap and light so I know that they are there but don't let the weight weenie in me fret too much.

On my road bike, I keep a couple in the seat bag in case the one on the chain breaks or pops off . If that happens, I am good to go again in short order.

Now the other instances are on my bikepacking bike and our mountain tandem. On those, I carry a spare chunk of chain, several quick links and a chain break tool. On the bikepacking bike, being out in the middle of nowhere with a bent or broken chain can mean miles and miles of walking. On a tandem, just due to the forces involved, it is prudent to be prepared.
Old 07-25-19, 09:51 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've used SRAM, Wipperman and KMC links as spares, I also keep leftover links from shortening new chains, which could be good spares. I almost always have a multitool with a chain breaker for these occasions.
If you're willing to buy an extra tool, Wolf Tooth has a nice aluminum pliers tool for joining quick links with storage for a quick link in the handle.
Old 07-25-19, 09:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have that tool, and it is so nice one could be forgiven for calling it luxurious. Handle actually holds 2 quick links, and there are little hidden magnets so the links don't fall out.
Old 07-26-19, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check the KMC website FAQ for quick links. They've changed a couple of things the past year or so. With the original Missing Links 1 and 2, one is 7.1mm, the other is 7.3mm, and they aren't interchangeable -- a mismatch will cause the chain to bind, if you can snap the quick link shut.

I use Missing Links because they come with the chains. But they aren't the easiest quick links to use on the road. If it's a new Missing Link you'll need pliers or a makeshift tool using a heavy duty paper clip, the metal handles from a Bulldog paper clamp, etc. That's one reason why I reuse Missing Links a few times, snapping and unsnapping them several times until they're easier to open without tools.

There are much easier quick links to use without tools on the road. I'm considering switching to Wipperman Connex -- I'm pretty sure that's what I had years ago and it worked great. I've also tried Taya chains but their quick link design worries me a bit. It uses a flexible link plate and you actually bend the link plate to pinch the pins together and release the opposite plate. Easy to do barehanded, but I worry about that flexible plate when I'm standing to sprint or stomp up climbs.

So far I've never needed to use my spare quick links on the road, but over the past couplafew years I've seen two other cyclists whose chains came apart at the rivets. One fellow was walking distance from his car so he didn't need help. The other was a friend on a group ride, so I gave him one of my spare Missing Links. Got us back on the road within a couple of minutes.

As for multitools, I have a Spin Doctor with such a good chain and spoke tool that I sometimes use it at home rather than my shop tools. Unfortunately the Spin Doctor doesn't fold flat -- the chain/spoke tool bulges out. I needed a slightly larger seat bag to hold that multitool. It will just barely fit in a Scicon Hipo 550, the smallest wedge bag I could find. Weird little bag but cost only $5, and doesn't wobble around like my Serfas Speed Bags.

And I just added a Hero Kit multitool because it's the slimmest, flattest I could find with a usable chain and spoke tool. I got it for my road bike with Lezyne Road Caddy minimalist seat bag and it fits nicely.
Old 07-26-19, 02:38 AM
iamLefty

Are those ql pliers a must esp with new links? Do i need to carry those on rides? I wanna ride as light as possible and usually just carry a small saddlebag. The tools i have in my saddlebag are my Topeak Hexus X, 2 tubes, patch kit and tire levers, and a presta-to-schrader adaptor. The Lezyne mini pump goes in my back pocket. I also carry a small flat screwdriver and an extra 4 mm hex wrench inside the patch kit. The tire boot, i always forget to buy it, but i’ll get one too. I always ride solo. I don’t know why but when i got a road bike, i became more careful and wanted to have all i need in case of emergencies. When i was riding my mtb even on long rides, i just bring cheap mini pump, tubes and multi tool without chain tool.
Old 07-26-19, 03:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
At home I normally use ordinary needle nose pliers to remove the KMC Missing Links. A Leatherman or similar tool with pliers would work. The trick is to just barely grab the outer edge of a rivet end with one half of the jaw, and brace the other jaw against the roller, while not blocking the link plate.

But I'm cutting way back on what I carry on road bike rides, at least on club rides since I'm already struggling to keep up. If I can reduce the weight, so much the better. So I'm considering switching to the Wipperman Connex. Pricey compared with the KMC but no tools needed.
Old 07-26-19, 08:30 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I always carry KMC links on all my rides since I mostly use KMC on my bikes.
Old 07-26-19, 11:34 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Thanks guys. Is there another tool for the ql i need to bring on rides aside from the chain tool? And it’s ok to remove these from time to time for easier chain and drivetrain cleaning, right?
No tool needed to install. With the quick-link on the upper portion of chain, step on the pedal, and it should click into position.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-19, 10:47 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
No tool needed to install. With the quick-link on the upper portion of chain, step on the pedal, and it should click into position.
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 07-28-19, 12:05 PM
iamLefty

What about YBN quick links, are they good? Compatible with shimano 10s? I’ve just read abt them, and some said they can be re-used 5 times.
Old 07-29-19, 12:08 PM
bedwards1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More advice from some random guy... I've always re-used quick-links with no problems (KMC and SRAM). Just make sure to match the speed. I ride both 10 and 11 speed bikes so I carry both. The BEST quick-link is the one with the speed clearly printed on the side. I've broken several chains at rivets but I have never broken a quick link. I've never heard about YBN until your post. The chain tool is most helpful for taking them apart but not required. I use the Park MLP 1.2 chain pliers. They are luxurious but super handy if you work on bikes a lot.
Old 07-29-19, 12:19 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
And it’s ok to remove these from time to time for easier chain and drivetrain cleaning, right?
Sounds like you want a Connex chain which comes with a quick link that is designed to do exactly what you are asking about above. No tools required to take on or off, I always remove my chain by hand to clean/maintain. The QL is designed to be reusable.
Old 07-30-19, 03:36 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by jadocs
Sounds like you want a Connex chain which comes with a quick link that is designed to do exactly what you are asking about above. No tools required to take on or off, I always remove my chain by hand to clean/maintain. The QL is designed to be reusable.
Too bad i haven’t found any Connex here where i’m from. It’s mostly KMC, Shimano , and YBN. I’ll try looking.
Old 07-30-19, 03:42 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by bedwards1000
More advice from some random guy... I've always re-used quick-links with no problems (KMC and SRAM). Just make sure to match the speed. I ride both 10 and 11 speed bikes so I carry both. The BEST quick-link is the one with the speed clearly printed on the side. I've broken several chains at rivets but I have never broken a quick link.
Thanks, that’s reassuring.
Old 07-30-19, 03:52 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by bedwards1000
I've never heard about YBN until your post. The chain tool is most helpful for taking them apart but not required. I use the Park MLP 1.2 chain pliers. They are luxurious but super handy if you work on bikes a lot.
I know about YBN but haven’t tried their chains. From what i read on the article and comments on the link below, the quality is ok. Re-usable up to 5 times too, so that’s value for money. I’ll probably still go KMC tho, unless i find a Connex.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/chai...sy-connection/

Last edited by iamLefty; 07-30-19 at 03:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.