Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ideal Zwift position

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ideal Zwift position

Old 10-12-19, 11:39 AM
iab

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 119 Posts
Ideal Zwift position

Yeah. Maybe not the right forum, but you certainly can use an on-topic bike to Zwift. And I hang out here so I'm asking here. Speculation and wild-ass guessing is allowed everywhere..

I'm having a little lunch and taking a break from building a stone wall. Channel surfing has landed me on Hawaii's triathlon. Spoiler alert, I already know Mollema won Lombardia.

Anyhow, Zwift is running ads and the dude is on a tri-bike. During the Tour, Zwift used Thomas instead of the random tri-guy for their ads. Got me to wondering, which position is most efficient for e-racing - road/tri/bent? Something else? Also, seems to me modern bike tech doesn't have much of an advantage for e racing. Is that correct?

Discuss.
Old 10-12-19, 11:45 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
No clue WRT Zwift (you'd have to ask mrs non-fixie ) but thanks for the heads-up on Bauke's win. Excellent! He really needed that.
Old 10-12-19, 05:00 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 51 Posts
Zwift is all about power output, so if you’re interested in competing against others, then whatever gets you the most power. There is also the game aspect of it, so the more you ride, you get perks like aero carbon wheels, things like that, that will let you go faster. I tend to ride Zwift on a (virtual) steel bike with the box section wheels and a Molteni-esque Jersey because, hey, that’s how I roll. My actual bike that I ride is my old TT bike because it otherwise doesn’t get much use.
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '85 Moser, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, 89 Cinelli Supercorsa
Old 10-12-19, 06:14 PM
Ex Pres

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
e-bike for e-racing
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 10-12-19, 06:23 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I'd think that C&V bikes would put a rider in as good a position as any, and maybe the best. The hope with TT bikes is that the rider can maintain the power they normally generate in a typical position while riding in a more aero shape. I don't know much about recumbents, but it seems like riders typically lose a little power in that position, but it could be because they're mostly not trained in it, and they lose the ability to stand.

Anyway, I would think a Eddy Merckx type fitting road bike would open up most riders to optimize their power, which is what counts for e racing.
Old 10-12-19, 06:43 PM
TriBiker19 

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun, '87 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I'm sure there have been studies on this. If you remove the variable of wind resistance, does aero position really matter? Is it the best position? I'd think that the best option would be the one that makes you comfortable and allows you to continue at your desired speed/pace.

I've got a couple of gals in my tri group who Zwift in the off season. Personally, I don't need to compete that badly. But I'm old and slow and cool with just finishing.
Old 10-13-19, 06:51 AM
iab

Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
I'm sure there have been studies on this. If you remove the variable of wind resistance, does aero position really matter? Is it the best position? I'd think that the best option would be the one that makes you comfortable and allows you to continue at your desired speed/pace.

I've got a couple of gals in my tri group who Zwift in the off season. Personally, I don't need to compete that badly. But I'm old and slow and cool with just finishing.
That's exactly what I'm asking. Zwift is a purely power to weight ratio race. Aero, bike weight just don't matter. You could stand, be prone, supine and everything in between. I don't know which would be best.

And another thing, will a powermeter work with my steel cottered Magistroni crank?
Old 10-13-19, 08:45 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 60 Posts
The Smokey Yanuk approach-

CeramicSpeed bearings, no contact seals.
CeramicSpeed as much as you can afford
might as well remove as many parasitic watts as possible.

with regard to position- what is currently used as the most efficient- keeping in mind that wind resistance is not a concern.

note that Andy Hampsten raised his bars to win in the Giro.
Old 10-13-19, 08:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3996 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 298 Posts
Whatever is the absolutely most comfortable, as you have no other concerns. My time on Zwift was spent entirely due to a broken hand, so I couldn't even rest one hand on the bars. I built a table that sat over the bars, so I could rest my elbows and forearms on it. I still never managed more than around 3.5 hours at a stretch, but it was a whole lot nicer than gripping the bars on the dumb trainer for even an hour. Nothing "real world" translates to Zwift. It's a video game with cardio. Work on your spin, make constant power, and enjoy the power-ups.
Old 10-13-19, 10:31 AM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts
Zwifting

Never done it.
2 thoughts-

1) recumbent type pushing against a backrest but rotated to a road bike position, so dancing on the pedals is possible. Remember the s banned saddles of the nineties
Eric
Old 10-13-19, 10:42 AM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: 198? Specialized RockHopper / 2013 KONA JtS / 1985 Asian Modification / and that's not ALL!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
before reading through this post I thought SWIFT - ZWIFIT - whatever - was dumb. (will, the whole virtual biking thing in general, just ZIFTER...)
and after reading through the thoughtful posts about maximizing power out put for virtual biking, I am convinced I'm right. or don't care. either.

if you really want more power, use a BOT!!
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bri...-for-cheating/
200km at 2kW or something.....

"According to The Guardian, Jeffers manipulated his profile by using a bot to ride at a weight of 45kg, doing 2000W for over 200km. The rides helped him unlock the Zwift Concept Z1 bike that offered performance advantages on his rides."

just dumb. go outside and ride a bike.
Tschuss!
Old 10-13-19, 11:32 AM
iab

I'm sure my son to hack any ANT+ system.

But the question is only a thought problem. Ride outdoors, knock yerself out. What I don't understand is why would waste the time on a dumb or irreverent topic.
Old 10-13-19, 01:00 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 80 Posts
Know little of this or Zwift to fairly contribute.

Last Autumn I did demo the virtual CycleOps set up at a shop. More entertaining than expected and with riders online, made me laugh. The fellows in the shop were already bragging and messing with others as they told me had rigged a session with an e bike.

Of note: Apparently a virtual MTB has been released that requires steering around obstacles or your down.
Old 10-13-19, 01:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3393 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv View Post
just dumb. go outside and ride a bike.
Many people dont enjoy riding during the winter months.
Temps below 40 may not be fun.
Piercing wind may not be fun
Snow and surprise ice may not be fun.

Indoor trainers and spin classes are hardly new. Adding a video game to make indoor trainers less unbearable has been wildly successful.

Indoor trainers and swift isnt for everyone, but neither is bundling up like the StayPuft marshmallow man to go for ride.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-19, 04:58 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
I used to Zwift. One thing I'll tell you.. real world race position does not feel comfortable in a trainer on Zwift. I required a more upright position. Take that for what's it's worth.
Old 10-13-19, 05:41 PM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: 198? Specialized RockHopper / 2013 KONA JtS / 1985 Asian Modification / and that's not ALL!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Many people dont enjoy riding during the winter months.
Temps below 40 may not be fun.
Piercing wind may not be fun
Snow and surprise ice may not be fun.

Indoor trainers and swift isnt for everyone, but neither is bundling up like the StayPuft marshmallow man to go for ride.
yea... I understand. I'll ride rollers when the snow is flying (or ice is........ icing? ) - granted, not as hard as the people on the eracing stuff. I'm just working on balance and getting a 30 minute spin in.
Anyway, I think it's the PELOTON commercials that get on my nerves. I can't quite pin it down why it annoys me. Maybe the lack of self-motivation (which I lack myself, for things like, cleaning my work bench off.....) . I'll stop bugging people so the thread can get back on topic. cheers!