Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Kingdom for a freewheel! (that fits) any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 01:33 PM
gilatm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hello, this is my first posting to bikeforums!

I have decided that my 1972 Paramount that I have had since 1974 needed to be up and running again after a decade (sadly) without use. (I put on many miles on this bike before an accident involving an auto dampened my bike commute habit.) I have managed to get brakes and wheels set up. But I am in need of a new freewheel. (Getting the old 14-32 Suntour off took me several days of bp blaster treatments). I would like a 14-26 or 14-28 5 speed, but apparently few will fit my 120mm rear stays. (On a whim I ordered a Shimano mf-tz20 14-26 6 speed, and a Sunrace 14-28 5s 120343 but both are too thick to fit my backstay.) Measuring my old Suntour, it is only 25mm thick, these are around 5-6mm thicker, leaving no axle left to fit into my rear stays.

Are there any new freewheels that will fit my bike?
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Gil
Ventura, CA
Old 10-16-19, 01:50 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by gilatm
Hello, this is my first posting to bikeforums!

I have decided that my 1972 Paramount that I have had since 1974 needed to be up and running again after a decade (sadly) without use. (I put on many miles on this bike before an accident involving an auto dampened my bike commute habit.) I have managed to get brakes and wheels set up. But I am in need of a new freewheel. (Getting the old 14-32 Suntour off took me several days of bp blaster treatments). I would like a 14-26 or 14-28 5 speed, but apparently few will fit my 120mm rear stays. (On a whim I ordered a Shimano mf-tz20 14-26 6 speed, and a Sunrace 14-28 5s 120343 but both are too thick to fit my backstay.) Measuring my old Suntour, it is only 25mm thick, these are around 5-6mm thicker, leaving no axle left to fit into my rear stays.

Thanks!
Gil
Ventura, CA
If you are a paying member (not expensive), then you can place a want-to-buy (WTB) ad in the classic/vintage sales section. I'm sure someone here will have something they can sell you for a fair price. It's a great marketplace for this stuff. Welcome!
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-16-19, 01:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
This thread indicates that you might be searching for a Regina Oro freewheel to match what is no longer working on yours.

You stated that it's a Suntour, are you certain? Is the outer lock nut on the freewheel side recessed inside the freewheel body?

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 10-16-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 01:56 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm surprised that a modern 5 speed won't fit but I'd stick with a modern 5 speed as the tooth profile on new freewheels are by and large pretty good (especially when compared to most older freewheels).

If the 5 speed doesn't work, just add a 1 mm spacer to either side of the axle. You'll want to make sure that there is enough axle sticking out to grap on to the drop outs properly. You'll end up with a 122 mm rear wheel. It won't be hard to get that to slide in the frame.

You likely have 5 or so mm of axle showing on either end so this should work.

Here is an article with some useful info:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Last edited by bikemig; 10-16-19 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-16-19, 01:58 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
A couple questions, what made you decide you needed a new FW? what was the issue with the Suntour? There are a few videos on You Tube for rehabbing old FW's and there is a BF member who refurbishes, -https://www.freewheelspa.com/ them also look for a bike co-op near you as they can be a great source of vintage parts odd the SunRace 5 speed was too thick. Just measured an old Atom I had laying around and its about 25mm too
Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-16-19, 02:07 PM
bikemig 

According to your measurements, both the modern 5 and 6 speed freewheels are the same width as both are 5-6 mm wider than your existing 5 speed freewheel.

That doesn't sound right.
Old 10-16-19, 02:16 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by bikemig
According to your measurements, both the modern 5 and 6 speed freewheels are the same width as both are 5-6 mm wider than your existing 5 speed freewheel.

That doesn't sound right.
Sunrace freewheels (OP's 5 speed) have a reputation for being thicker than others, and I can confirm this is the case due to my experience with Sunrace's 7-speed freewheel. I like it and it works well, but I had to decide whether to use a different wheelset or re-dish the one I was intending to use. (I went with the different wheelset.)
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-16-19, 02:18 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Sunrace freewheels (OP's 5 speed) have a reputation for being thicker than others, and I can confirm this is the case due to my experience with Sunrace's 7-speed freewheel. I like it and it works well, but I had to decide whether to use a different wheelset or re-dish the one I was intending to use. (I went with the different wheelset.)
right but shouldn't the 5 speed be narrower than the 6? The measurements given were about the same for both.
Old 10-16-19, 02:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,594 Times in 1,764 Posts
I happen to have a new Sunrace 5-speed sitting on my desk, next to my Mauser calipers: 30mm overall width.

Old 10-16-19, 02:25 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by bikemig
right but shouldn't the 5 speed be narrower than the 6? The measurements given were about the same for both.
That’s the point, though... the Sunrace 5 is thicker than normal 5, and in this case is equivalent to a Shimano 6.

Last edited by noobinsf; 10-16-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 02:26 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, that is a good idea. I know that I could source out old stock, but I'm wondering if there are any new freewheels that might fit. (I am generally disheartened how few new parts fit my old bike.)
Old 10-16-19, 02:32 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
(Regarding "is it a Suntour - the board does not allow me to quote messages, as it views it as a url link, and I have not yet met my 10 post min.)

Yes it is a suntour 8.8.8., the Regina wore out years ago - was not particularly fond of it. As I recall, the freewheel tool barely fit into it, making removal difficult.
Old 10-16-19, 02:34 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
re: I'm surprised that a modern 5 speed won't fit but I'd stick with a modern 5 speed as the tooth profile on new freewheels are by and large pretty good (especially when compared to most older freewheels).

No, they were both around 30mm thick. They protrude past my lock nut for the axel, and do not leave enough axel for me to safely attach to frame.
Old 10-16-19, 02:36 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
re: A couple questions, what made you decide you needed a new FW? what was the issue with the Suntour? There are a few videos on You Tube for rehabbing old FW's and there is a BF member who refurbishes, them also look for a bike co-op near you as they can be a great source of vintage parts odd the SunRace 5 speed was too thick. Just measured an old Atom I had laying around and its about 25mm too

I don't want a 32 tooth gear, but you have a good point of resetting the gear rings. (I have vague memories of breaking a freewheel apart many moons ago.) My question is, though, if any new freewheels would fit.
Old 10-16-19, 02:49 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I think you have many options available to you that will work. Thankfully friction shifting doesn't play favorites as long as the derailleur limits are set up well. Try a LBS, Coop, or one of the many internet retailers still offering 5 speed freewheels.

Edit: Harris Cyclery has one specifically noted for 120 MM spacing for $17 with 14-28 gearing.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 10-16-19 at 03:37 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-16-19, 03:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 6,466 Times in 3,198 Posts
Sounds like you need a longer axle so you can use a new, wider freewheel. That's an easy fix, given you have $18 for the axle and a hacksaw to cut it to the appropriate length, about 10mm wider than your dropouts.

You can add a new 5-speed freewheel, but I would go ahead and spread the rear drops another 6mm and use a 6- or 7-speed. I did this to my 1960 Paramount. It's not difficult to do using a bolt and nuts between drops. RJ covers it on youtube.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-16-19, 04:18 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
If anyone on here would have one, it would be Pastor Bob. He is a longtime member here.

He is the freewheel man.

https://www.freewheelspa.com/
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 10-16-19, 04:37 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts

Thanks!
Gil
Ventura, CA
Hi Gil- I suggest not to bother with Sunrace. Though I understand you want new, so with that just shop ebay for what you had and in 14-28t but search NOS (new old stock). Add the usual - specifications in knowing correct thread. Paying $20-30 more for vintage is worth it.

Another option is to acquire a few freewheel bodies and then cogs and spacers, seperately. Build your own combo. Boulder Bike is good for Regina cogs.

BTW: I use a 6 speed Regina on a 120mm spaced Teledyne with very thin dropouts. Threaded to a first year production Dura Ace hub. With certain, its a relaxed fit and no spreading of the rear, something I did not want to risk with this frame.

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-16-19 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 10-18-19, 12:20 AM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the good information! Jim from this forum has set me up with a Suntour freewheel.

BTW, my measurement was off, the Suntour is 27mm wide, not 25. But that 3mm made a difference!

Thanks again to all and to Jim.

Gil
Old 10-18-19, 07:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Thanks for the good information! Jim from this forum has set me up with a Suntour freewheel.

BTW, my measurement was off, the Suntour is 27mm wide, not 25. But that 3mm made a difference!

Thanks again to all and to Jim.

Gil
Gil,

Welcome to C&V and let's get your posts higher so you can post pictures of your Paramount! I have a '71 P-13 Chicago and an '83 Waterford Paramounts.

Glad you found a replacement for your Suntour. As I read through the posts to catchup, I was going to let you know I have plenty of spare sprockets for Suntour freewheels and can generally swap what you don't want for what you'd like. Also the Suntour Perfects and ProCompes or 8.8.8s all are very durable, and generally only need cleaning, new lube, and occasionally new bearings. In fact, I worked on these three the last two nights for a couple of clients.

As you can see there is still a great deal of life left in these. The two silver sprocketed ones the client needed very specific gearing, and I only had silver Winner type sprockets to use. In this case he was very specific about his gearing.

Let me know if I can assist and best of luck in getting your Paramount back to road worthy!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-18-19, 11:36 AM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the information on switching out sprockets. I'll see how this range works (I have a 40/52 in front). I'm going to have to get my butt in shape (I'm more worried about it than my legs) and get stonger before I look for more narrow gearing. (Losing some weight would also help!) I have great affection for this bike, and have always liked the light spring of the frame. I'll post a pic when allowed by the internet gods.
Old 10-18-19, 09:43 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
(I am generally disheartened how few new parts fit my old bike.)
Don't be. Old parts are cooler anyway.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-19-19, 12:00 AM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
speaking of old parts, I've been planning on using my old trust Suntour VGT - I cleaned it and it works but has seen better days. Any suggestions on a replacement?

(I have the old original NR Camp. derailleur, but I think it only worked on the original 48/52 x 14-26 gears. I am running 42/52, 14-28 so 24 tooth capacity is needed.)

-- one step closer to sending a pic. : )
Gil
Old 10-19-19, 12:10 AM
noobinsf 

speaking of old parts, I've been planning on using my old trust Suntour VGT - I cleaned it and it works but has seen better days. Any suggestions on a replacement?

(I have the old original NR Camp. derailleur, but I think it only worked on the original 48/52 x 14-26 gears. I am running 42/52, 14-28 so 24 tooth capacity is needed.)

-- one step closer to sending a pic. : )
Gil
I have three roadworthy bikes at the moment, and all of them are running long cage Suntour friction (two Cyclone, one Blue Line). Use the VGT -- Suntour gets a lot of well-earned respect here.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-19-19, 03:01 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
I probably have a spare Suntour that can handle that range. You can hang it on your Paramount for the cost of shipping.

Have you considered a triplizer for your Campy Record crankset? Many of us older and heavier folk rely upon them and I have one on my '71 P13. We're not all TdF racers! BF member @jonwvara has them. I have a link on my freewheelspa.com website (bottom of the "Full Menu & Prices" tab and linked below).

In the picture above I was running my extreme mountain climbing gearing: 50-42-31 X 16-20-25-30-34-38 (currently have a more reasonable 13-16-20-26-30). My triplizer is an old one which is no longer made. The one Jon Vara has is modeled after a TA version.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.