Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Disc brake drop bar commuters, Whats out there?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 06:58 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ater a couple good wet brake scares I'm really starting to like the idea of a Disc brake commuter that could do Charity century. I have not seen Exactly what I want yet.

The Closest thing to what I have in mind in the Novara Buzz. https://www.rei.com/product/779985

Really do like that set up over all.

My big turn off is the wheels. I want 36 spoke if possible. I am 220lb and flat foot a 35 inch stand over. I just don't see a 28spoke wheel on a bike that will be my pack mule.

What I like about that bike that I would like to see in others.
700x28
midline parts
Must be able to handle racks and fenders

Now I am a cheap skate so I'm tempted to build up a bare frame and have some parts like 105 9s Brifters and bar ends, set of Dirt drop bars in the parts bin. I have a Panasonic PT 3500 I'm tempted to rob the Deore Derailleurs and the half step cranks from or take the 105 long cage off my 95 t700 and sell it stock to help fiance something new. So parts wise all I really lack is Frame. Fork and disc wheel set.

I have been tempted to build the Nash Bar CX frame but not sure I like the wheel base. I do like price but the frame is a little on the crude side with the tig butts not smooth like my C-Dales.

Liking steel more and more with my vintage bike addiction (damn that Lotus is smooth).
Mid 20's weight wise is fine. I'm no weight weenie.

Karate Monkey frame looks interesting but it s more of a Mountain Geometry and the XL frame that fits my legs is a little bit of a reach on the TT with drops. I'd like more of a Sport or Touring geometry. I have no need for more then 32's. I don't get off pavement hardly ever. No Snow here.

The Marin Lombard is interesting but the parts are a little lower then I would like.
https://www.rei.com/product/798552

So what else is out there?
Old 04-26-10, 07:04 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Portland, but it ain't cheap
Old 04-26-10, 07:11 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very pleased with my Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw from bikesdirect. The specs are fairly equivalent to the Trek Portland. The wheels aren't 36 spoke, but the rims are deep section and they are tough. I'm a lightweight, but no brutal pothole yet has been able to knock them out of true. The Topeak Explorer Disc rack works well with it and can be had cheap with some looking around. Overall a good deal for a complete package.

On the other hand, my room mate recently got one of the Nashbar CX frames and it looks really quite nice. I was impressed for what he paid for it.
Old 04-26-10, 07:14 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Salsa Vaya, 'cept it has 32 spoke wheels.
Old 04-26-10, 08:05 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Schwinn Super Sport DBX. Drop bar with disc brakes commuter bike:

This is the one I have.
Old 04-26-10, 08:18 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
Nearly the same parts as the Buzz. $700 more and an even bigger wheel fail. I do like where the rear caliper mounts better then the buzz. I don't recall the user that has one but he had to replace wheels with some 32 spoke t after having 2-3 sets of the stock set up fail.
Old 04-26-10, 08:24 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
No, it's not. And as much as I love mine, I can't recommend it with the stock wheels.

"Cheapskate", mid-line components, disc brakes and 36-spoke wheels aren't a combination that's likely to be found. I think you'll be able to get only three of the four at best.

But if you like steel and don't mind building up a new frame with some old parts you already have, the ubiquitous Surly Cross Check is available as frame only, or I've kinda had my eye on a Gunnar Fastlane frame.
Old 04-26-10, 08:24 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
I don't recall the user that has one but he had to replace wheels with some 32 spoke t after having 2-3 sets of the stock set up fail.
< raises hand >
Old 04-26-10, 09:01 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Salsa Vaya, 'cept it has 32 spoke wheels.
32 is better then 28! I like that. Sharp looking bike.

Originally Posted by NormanF
Schwinn Super Sport DBX. Drop bar with disc brakes commuter bike:

This is the one I have.
No longer in production it seems. It is not on Schwinn's site. Other wise nice.

I've been very pleased with my Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw from bikesdirect. The specs are fairly equivalent to the Trek Portland. The wheels aren't 36 spoke, but the rims are deep section and they are tough. I'm a lightweight, but no brutal pothole yet has been able to knock them out of true. The Topeak Explorer Disc rack works well with it and can be had cheap with some looking around. Overall a good deal for a complete package.

On the other hand, my room mate recently got one of the Nashbar CX frames and it looks really quite nice. I was impressed for what he paid for it.
Thats not bad for the price for the Motobecane
I hear some positive some negative on the Nash Bar frame. Most of the negatives seems to be complaints about visual things.

Problem I am now seeing buliding from scratch is is unless I can score some wheels really cheap that even with me supplying the drivetrain I am very quick up to $700 ($130 frame, $150 fork, $80 brakes, $250 cheap wheels). I could have had that complete Buzz for $800 with about the best warranty when the next REI members coupon comes out.

Thats a few I didn't know about. Keep them coming.
Old 04-26-10, 09:08 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Salsa Fargo
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/
Old 04-26-10, 09:14 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Harbor Country Bicycles has them in stock... that's where I bought mine on sale last year. Its an underrated bike that offers a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 04-26-10, 09:15 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
< raises hand >
Yeah You!!! LOL

Originally Posted by tsl
No, it's not. And as much as I love mine, I can't recommend it with the stock wheels.

"Cheapskate", mid-line components, disc brakes and 36-spoke wheels aren't a combination that's likely to be found. I think you'll be able to get only three of the four at best.

But if you like steel and don't mind building up a new frame with some old parts you already have, the ubiquitous Surly Cross Check is available as frame only, or I've kinda had my eye on a Gunnar Fastlane frame.
Thats what I am finding. Quality set 32 spokes wheels may do but those low spoke counts with big gaps just scares the hell out of me.

All I know is I already have a out of round 32 replacement wheel (and it was a bit cheaper wheel so millage may vary). My 36 spokes on my T700's seem to do Ok as far as out of round but the spokes were over tightened by the PO on one and cracked the rim (Re laced those with CR18's) and another was a curb hit (the other bike that got the 32 spoke).
I have a 1984 Fuji T III that you can tell it has been on extensive tours and has some big miles... Truest set of wheels of any of my bikes and they are the original Ukai's. 48 spoke rear and 36 front LOL. The Ukai's on my 84 Lotus are also very true considering the age.
Old 04-26-10, 10:26 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdrop (cheapest)
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=sutra (Touring bike; comes with racks and fenders; probably overkill)
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=*****inc (most expensive)

Also, based on the research I did before buying my new commuter, building up from parts won't save you much unless you already have a bunch kicking around. There are good odds it will actually cost you more, in fact, particularly if you need to buy the tools.
Old 04-26-10, 10:45 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycle Times has a review on the Civia Bryant. Check it out.
Old 04-27-10, 04:58 AM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdrop (cheapest)
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=sutra (Touring bike; comes with racks and fenders; probably overkill)
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=*****inc (most expensive)

Also, based on the research I did before buying my new commuter, building up from parts won't save you much unless you already have a bunch kicking around. There are good odds it will actually cost you more, in fact, particularly if you need to buy the tools.
Had not found the Kona line and I like all three of those bikes. ***** is almost perfect! Price is not horrible.
Old 04-27-10, 05:30 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Sutra is not necessarily and overkill, it may be a nice commuter for someone who likes to carry panniers. The 2010 model comes with everything you want in a commuter and has decent components: Shimano XT RD, Avid BB7 brakes. Although they cheaped out on rims this year, I think: 2009 had Mavic A317 rims, 2010 has Alex DX Lite (?). The front rack is a $15 MEC rack that is easy to remove if you don't need it. Search the touring forum, one BF member posted a detailed review of 2010 Kona Sutra.
Old 04-27-10, 05:58 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2010 Jamis Aurora Elite or build up a Salsa Vaya frame to your specs.

I run 240ish and 32 spoke wheels serve me fine...as long as they are competently built.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-27-10, 08:08 AM
sseaman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for the same type of bike setup, and unhappy with what I could find, I decided to build my own. I found a Kona Dew frame, stripped it down and sold off what I didn't need. I am going single front crank and 8 or 9 speed rear. I have 8 and 9 speed cassettes, and bar end friction shifter. Just waiting on the final pieces to finish it up, I cannot wait for the first ride.
Old 04-27-10, 08:25 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Surly and +1 for salsa frames
Old 04-27-10, 08:50 AM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Kona Sutra is not necessarily and overkill....The 2010 model comes with everything you want in a commuter and has decent components
Fair point.

Search the touring forum, one BF member posted a detailed review of 2010 Kona Sutra.
That review actually prompted me to buy the Sutra's rear rack for my Dr. Dew. It's aluminum, so you can't fix it if it breaks, but it's otherwise a really nice rack. The lower rails are handy when you need to carry panniers and something on top of the rack. Despite the silly name, having a rack-top bag with the RackTime SnapIt attachment system is pretty convenient.
Old 04-27-10, 09:19 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to be cheap, then getting a frame and adding your used parts will work best. But if you want a complete bike, I'll second the Aurora Elite. I ride a standard Aurora and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 04-27-10, 11:12 AM
SKY-217

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Nearly the same parts as the Buzz. $700 more and an even bigger wheel fail. I do like where the rear caliper mounts better then the buzz. I don't recall the user that has one but he had to replace wheels with some 32 spoke t after having 2-3 sets of the stock set up fail.
After 9 months of use, I haven't had any issues with the stock wheels on my Porland. I try to avoid potholes and curbs like anyone who cares for their bike, but the occasional one hasn't been a problem. I have not even had the wheels trued. Then again you have about 85 lbs on me.

Still, I drool over things like in-hub gears and in-hub dynamo so I may eventually buy new wheels with higher spoke count at the same time that I make those upgrades. But I doubt that will happen any time soon and I am not worried about my wheels failing in the meantime.
Old 04-27-10, 11:25 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Fair point.

That review actually prompted me to buy the Sutra's rear rack for my Dr. Dew. It's aluminum, so you can't fix it if it breaks, but it's otherwise a really nice rack. The lower rails are handy when you need to carry panniers and something on top of the rack. Despite the silly name, having a rack-top bag with the RackTime SnapIt attachment system is pretty convenient.
What I don't like about that rack is that it doesn't have a top platform. I sometimes like to be able to put something quickly on the top under a small cargo net. On this rack most small or soft things will go straight through. But for panniers only it is indeed a very good rack.
Old 04-27-10, 11:26 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Orbea Diem Drop Disk. More expensive than the Portland, but it has a CF frame. Looks nice. Unfortunately it comes with Tiagra components which are not bad for a commuter, but don't belong on a CF bike IMO. At 23 lbs, it isn't very light either. Oh, and 24 spoke wheels so that may be a show-stopper too.
Old 04-27-10, 11:53 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the thread from the Gen forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=drop

Pretty comprehensive listing. And I can't recommend the Buzz Road. I returned mine due to the fork making my wrists want to explode.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.