Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How steep a hill would you ride your fixed-gear bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 10:47 AM
agarose2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all. As per my other post, I'm in the market for a commuter bike after my beater mtn bike was stolen (Kryptonite lock cut off apt bike rack.)

I'm seriously considering a fixed gear bike. Mainly because it's cheaper - I want to be able to consider my commuter bike "expendable" and not feel too badly when it is eventually lost.

I'm a triathlete and train regularly with competitive road cyclists in mountain territory, so riding strength won't be a problem for me. However as I'll be using a fixie for commuting and/or errands, I don't want to have to put up near-max efforts just to get over significant hills due to gearing.

How steep are the hills you'd face on your fixie before you'd not bother or really, really wish you had a geared bike?
Old 04-30-10, 11:31 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
As steep as the grade length and my gearing allows. Generally if called a hill: yes. If called mountain territory: no.
Old 04-30-10, 11:36 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
I'm a triathlete and train regularly with competitive road cyclists in mountain territory
That being the case, you should know the terrain of your commute, what the steepest grade is and what gearing is required for you to get over it normally. If that gearing is too low for the rest of the route, you probably would be better off with a geared bike.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-30-10, 11:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did 2 miles on a 6% with 41x16 gearing. Never again.

The thing is that if you have the gearing low enough to get up a steep long hill, you'll have to spin a million RPM on the way down.
Old 04-30-10, 11:43 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I did 2 miles on a 6% with 41x16 gearing. Never again.

The thing is that if you have the gearing low enough to get up a steep long hill, you'll have to spin a million RPM on the way down.
Last year we had a guy on our group ride that rode a fixie. There's one massive hill and that was his comment. Going up is bad enough, but it's going down that really sucks.
Old 04-30-10, 11:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Builds character.
Old 04-30-10, 11:56 AM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Forgot to clarify - I'll set up the fixie actually as a downhill-coast bike, not as a must-pedal at all speeds bike.
Old 04-30-10, 12:03 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is funny that it didn't occur to anyone to coast down the hill. Why does coasting suck so badly?

If I were you, I'd try to make sure it was geared low enough that you could conquer any hill in your commuting territory, and plan on coasting down the other side.

Also, to go back one more level, I'm not sure that a fixed gear bike is any less desirable to steal than a cheap MTB.

If I were you, I'd strongly consider a folding bike. There are good ones out there, and they are heavier than stiffies, but even so, it is nice to have gears. When I use my folder, I alternate between bringing the bike in (home and high crime areas) and locking it up. (low crime)
Old 04-30-10, 12:04 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

4% extended. 18% peak
Old 04-30-10, 12:04 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Forgot to clarify - I'll set up the fixie actually as a downhill-coast bike, not as a must-pedal at all speeds bike.
In other words, as a single-speed, not a fixie.
You still might not like it on the flats in the gear you need to climb.
If you can climb your steepest/longest grade with about 70ish or more gear inches, you should be OK, otherwise you might want to stick with gears.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 04-30-10 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-10, 12:07 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
It is funny that it didn't occur to anyone to coast down the hill. Why does coasting suck so badly?
If it's truly a fixed-gear, you ain't gonna be doing any coasting down hills unless you put your feet up on the top tube.
Old 04-30-10, 12:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fixed gears do not coast because the gear is fixed. You're describing a singlespeed.
Old 04-30-10, 12:13 PM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are concerned about hills on a fixed gear try this:

Get a low enough ratio to manage the hills- you wont get a high top speed, but even at 2:1 you can get up to 15mph easily if you have good cadence and that is good enough for most "hills"
Use a freewheel so you dont spin like a madman going down hills.
Use front and rear brakes.
Old 04-30-10, 12:13 PM
tjspiel

If I were you, I'd strongly consider a folding bike. There are good ones out there, and they are heavier than stiffies, but even so, it is nice to have gears.

Stiffy? Those things I wake up with every morning? As big as mine is, I'd expect most any bike to be heavier
Old 04-30-10, 12:26 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would anyone want a fixed gear bike, when coaster brakes are available? Just to save a few oz? That's crazy.
Old 04-30-10, 12:27 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Going down is only problematic if you feel you have the need to keep up with other cyclists with freewheels.
Old 04-30-10, 12:29 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why would anyone want a fixed gear bike, when coaster brakes are available? Just to save a few oz? That's crazy.
Dude...no.

I gotta use this for a sig line tho.
Old 04-30-10, 12:36 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Going down is only problematic if you feel you have the need to keep up with other cyclists with freewheels.
Yeah, but if you're on some rollers it's sure nice to be able to use the downhill side of the first hill to help get you up the second. Just controlling your speed going down a steep hill on a fixie requires some effort (and good foot retention).
Old 04-30-10, 12:37 PM
echotraveler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ive seen a couple of guys drifting down a big hill around this parts...youll have to learn how to drift (you have to shift your weight to the front wheel and lock the back wheel...)

fixies are pretty trendy and attractive to thiefs even when they look bad..
Have you considered a 3 speed internal geared hub?

Last edited by echotraveler; 04-30-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 12:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I love fixed rollers! If anything I find fixed gearing helps one focus on using momentum.
Old 04-30-10, 12:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

OK, with brake. None of this drifting nonsense.
Old 04-30-10, 12:39 PM
tjspiel

That was my reaction when I first learned of the popularity of modern fixies. I've since been enlightened about some of the advantages. It's probably something you need to try for a while to fully appreciate.
Old 04-30-10, 12:43 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, this thread is ridiculous.
Old 04-30-10, 12:47 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Yeah, but if you're on some rollers it's sure nice to be able to use the downhill side of the first hill to help get you up the second.
You can do that fixed. Even if you can't spin downhill at 30mph (although someone probably does), you absolutely get your legs going fast enough to fly up the next side. I definitely climb faster fixed than geared; mostly I choose to spin a lower gear on my geared bike, but there's also a 'just get it over with' speed bonus fixed even if my cadence is lower by the top.
Old 04-30-10, 12:55 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
You can do that fixed. Even if you can't spin downhill at 30mph (although someone probably does), you absolutely get your legs going fast enough to fly up the next side. I definitely climb faster fixed than geared; mostly I choose to spin a lower gear on my geared bike, but there's also a 'just get it over with' speed bonus fixed even if my cadence is lower by the top.
But I can coast down a big hill faster than 30 and not any burn any energy trying to keep up with my own bike. I'm not saying you can't climb faster on a fixie if you choose to, only that you're loosing some of the energy you expended getting up the first hill.

If you enjoy riding fixed that's great, but I think it's silly to pretend there's no benefits to freewheels and gears when it comes to hills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.