Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Intervals...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Intervals...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 09:49 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Intervals...

... how exactly am I supposed to be doing these and how many times per week?
The I am understanding this is go 90% of what I would consider my max power for 20m and then slow spin until I "catch my breath" again and repeat. Also doing this twice a week would be enough you guys think? I am trying to get faster on the bike. Currently I average 29kmh cycling alone not in a peleton for 100km+ and would love to bring this up a bit to lets say 35kmh average over that distance. If it helps I just started cycling this past August.
Old 10-09-13, 11:40 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since you've only been cycling about a month, I'd just keep riding without the intervals. You have a lot to gain simply by doing what you're doing right now. The next step to getting faster should be finding a group to ride with, that will do more to open you up to the idea of what you are capable of than anything else. However, if you are sure you want to do them, you've pretty much got the idea for increasing your speed over time. There's a lot more you can do with intervals depending on your goals, but for now, that would be plenty.
Old 10-10-13, 08:36 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
... how exactly am I supposed to be doing these and how many times per week?
The I am understanding this is go 90% of what I would consider my max power for 20m and then slow spin until I "catch my breath" again and repeat. Also doing this twice a week would be enough you guys think? I am trying to get faster on the bike. Currently I average 29kmh cycling alone not in a peleton for 100km+ and would love to bring this up a bit to lets say 35kmh average over that distance. If it helps I just started cycling this past August.
Ride on the front of your group. If you can sit on the front without the rotation, find a faster group.
Old 10-10-13, 12:38 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride at 100+% till I can't pedal anymore... I rest till I can, then I repeat.
I do that on and off till I get home.
I do this about 15 minutes into a ride of about 30 - 40 miles.
I cool down for the last 10 miles.
I do this once or twice a week.
Old 10-15-13, 03:32 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm into 6 months of riding and as someone mentioned earlier its very important to get base mileage.
Once a week i do solo 20 seconds all our sprint followed by 10 seconds rest. Repeat 4 times then rest 5 minutes before you begin another set. I've increased my speed from 18mphr to 25mphr-28mphr for 35 miles of 45 miles rides.
Once you can do 4 of these then you can change by increasing the number of seconds or the number of sets eg. 40 seconds all out sprint then 20 seconds rest.
I also found out it's very beneficial riding in a fast group where most riders are faster than you.
Old 10-15-13, 03:51 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The correct and only way to do intervals!

Old 10-15-13, 04:13 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm on a Joe Friel style training program, and I agree with his philosophy having used it successfully in the past.

He's a big proponent of good base training. My plan has me now on a 12-16 week base period where the first 8 weeks are nearly all easy-effort riding at conversational-breathing paced efforts, but a fair amount of miles. Only after this do I start adding short intervals, and even then it's mostly miles, miles, and more miles until the 8-12 weeks prior to race sharpening. I do have a fair amount of fast-cadence spin efforts to keep the neuromuscular sharp in there, but they aren't high-power efforts.

From my prior experience with this method, the big base gives you some real long-term lasting gains, as well as avoids burnout. The intervals are nice for a kick in the rear for top-end speed, but the most important fitness is the long aerobic stuff which is really best trained with lots of time in the saddle.

Ride easy, but ride a lot. Intervals are fine (you wont' get injured doing them) but you'll get a lot more gains from riding a lot of miles aerobically for the bulk of your gains.
Old 10-15-13, 05:24 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Don't get hang up on averages. Somewhat pointless matrix. Intervals are good for intervals. Building up 20 minute, 10 minute, 1 minute, 10s whatever power. Get some training books. Joe Friel is a good one, there are others.
Also whats your final goal? Do you want to do centuries, be a big boy at local hammer fest, race? Training depends on that.
Old 10-15-13, 05:30 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Doing haphazard fartlek style intervals will help you improve. A periodized structured annual plan will help you more.
Old 10-16-13, 06:52 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
My objective is to be able to hold a steady 35km/h over lets say a 100km+ ride solo. If I can do that I know I will be able to keep up with the faster groups around here.... I think. Currently I am on the bike every second day or so and twice on weekends doing doing between 200-250km a week. Since I started cycling I already do see gains where before I was "puke like tired" after 30km and averaged 22km/h to where now I can do 100km at 30km/h and still be able to walk hehe I am not sure if simply riding more will help me get to where I want to be and more... But now winter is around the corner so I guess I will get on the trainer and put in more miles and re-evaluate all this come spring?
Old 10-16-13, 07:17 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
I'm into 6 months of riding ... I've increased my speed from 18mphr to 25mphr-28mphr for 35 miles of 45 miles rides.
When are you joining a World Tour pro team?
Old 10-16-13, 09:37 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones
When are you joining a World Tour pro team?
Thank you sir but i just do it for fun and it's the only exercise i can find time for. No hills here so it helps stay at those speeds. The 35 miles somedays can be hard to maintain 25mphr if the head wind is strong.
Old 10-16-13, 09:57 AM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclelogikal
The correct and only way to do intervals!

Every time I watch this movie, it bothers me that Dave is trying to get away from Eddie in such a low gear. Shift, man! Shift!

Also, I'm pretty sure SOB is the most used phrase in the whole movie.
Old 10-16-13, 11:51 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir but i just do it for fun and it's the only exercise i can find time for. No hills here so it helps stay at those speeds. The 35 miles somedays can be hard to maintain 25mphr if the head wind is strong.
It bothers me that they are not wearing a full lycra/quick dry riding suit and snap in shoes to train, also, why even bother to ride without a garmin 810, also, what is the deal with no aero/time trial handle bars? ... pathetic posers
Old 10-16-13, 05:05 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20
Every time I watch this movie, it bothers me that Dave is trying to get away from Eddie in such a low gear. Shift, man! Shift!

Also, I'm pretty sure SOB is the most used phrase in the whole movie.
So true. Was a bit cheesy as a movie but still like to watch it every so often.
Old 10-17-13, 04:41 AM
bobones

The 35 miles somedays can be hard to maintain 25mphr if the head wind is strong.
So you're saying you can maintain a 25mph average into a headwind for 35miles? Not only that, you only started cycling 6 months ago. Do you seriously expect me or anyone else to believe that? km/h maybe!
Old 10-17-13, 06:21 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I do still enjoy it, but my knees always shudder when I watch the shift from the largest cog all the way down (granted it was in the days of straight block 6 spd)
Old 10-17-13, 01:00 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones
So you're saying you can maintain a 25mph average into a headwind for 35miles? Not only that, you only started cycling 6 months ago. Do you seriously expect me or anyone else to believe that? km/h maybe!
Mr. Bobones, everyone i ride with thinks it's remarkable i've just been riding for 6 months. Started riding in May 2013 and did solo rides till August. Did lots of intervals and somedays i would stick behind a fast group and stay there for 20 or more miles. The guys i ride with have been riding for 6 or more years and they say "i'm killing it". They have to ask my friend who introduced me to cycling as he's my only evidence i have. They say i will be running cycles around them by next season.
Now to be clear the 35 miles can go from 23mhr to 28mphr with backwind and headwind, not a straight road but flats and no hills.
Before cycling i was gym rat and did lots of eliptical intervals so i think that has helped me alot.
Old 10-17-13, 01:21 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Can I hire you to claim a few Strava KOMs for me?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-13, 02:38 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm into 6 months of riding and as someone mentioned earlier its very important to get base mileage.
Once a week i do solo 20 seconds all our sprint followed by 10 seconds rest. Repeat 4 times then rest 5 minutes before you begin another set. I've increased my speed from 18mphr to 25mphr-28mphr for 35 miles of 45 miles rides.
Once you can do 4 of these then you can change by increasing the number of seconds or the number of sets eg. 40 seconds all out sprint then 20 seconds rest.
I also found out it's very beneficial riding in a fast group where most riders are faster than you.
which team do you race for? If it's true, you're probably a solid cat 3 if not a 2 as far as conditioning goes.
Old 10-17-13, 02:54 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
get in some group rides ASAP, like right NOW. I started to get more serious with cycling back in March, but didn't join my first group ride until late May, partly because I had to find out about them, and then drive 30 miles just to get with them right after work. In retrospect, I wish I had joined the group ride sooner. In addition, I wish I had started racing a little sooner too, even though it was still a great 1/3 of a season for me, and a huge confidence booster to get me psyched to race with the 4's next year.

The group ride will help you to not only train harder, but also let you practice holding your line in a group, which is VERY important. At first riding in a group, I had to fix my eyes on the ass of the guy in front of me. Now, I can more comfortably move around in a pack to place myself in strategic positions without being scared of rubbing wheels. Even if you can't hang on, it will only make you want to come back the next day and work harder. It's really a nobrainer. Eventually, you'll be leading out the pack at 29 mph and dropping the guys who used to drop you. teehee
Old 10-17-13, 03:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
which team do you race for? If it's true, you're probably a solid cat 3 if not a 2 as far as conditioning goes.
I'm a solid Cat 3 and there's no way I can average 25-28 miles for a 45 mile ride. On the other hand, if he's saying he can accelerate to and hold 25-28mph for some indeterminate time in the course of the 45 mile ride, then tht's something else altogether.
Old 10-17-13, 04:09 PM
bobones

Mr. Bobones, everyone i ride with thinks it's remarkable i've just been riding for 6 months. Started riding in May 2013 and did solo rides till August. Did lots of intervals and somedays i would stick behind a fast group and stay there for 20 or more miles. The guys i ride with have been riding for 6 or more years and they say "i'm killing it". They have to ask my friend who introduced me to cycling as he's my only evidence i have. They say i will be running cycles around them by next season.
Now to be clear the 35 miles can go from 23mhr to 28mphr with backwind and headwind, not a straight road but flats and no hills.
Before cycling i was gym rat and did lots of eliptical intervals so i think that has helped me alot.
Go do a solo 40 mile ride, out and back, then tell us how long it took you. Better still post one of your rides, again out and back or circular, from GarminConnect or Strava. If you get anywhere near a 25mph average I will eat my bib shorts. The speeds you are claiming require you to produce around 400watts for an hour and half. Sorry, but that is World Tour pro level and there is no way you can do that, not after 6 months of riding! I don't doubt that you may be a natural talent / genetically gifted individual, but you are certainly overstating the numbers.
Old 10-17-13, 05:09 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It's a terrible movie. I LOVE IT!!
Old 10-17-13, 06:19 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm a solid Cat 3 and there's no way I can average 25-28 miles for a 45 mile ride. On the other hand, if he's saying he can accelerate to and hold 25-28mph for some indeterminate time in the course of the 45 mile ride, then tht's something else altogether.
yea... going from 18 to 25-28 mph average in 6 months sounds really fishy to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.