Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Corona and the Future

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Corona and the Future

Old 05-03-20, 08:05 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 41 Posts
The term "The New Normal" is meant to mess with your head in a fatalistic sense. It is up to the individual to set "the normal" for him or herself.

If you want to see an example of just how easily led people are, see here

You make your own normal.
Old 05-04-20, 12:19 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
It's an interesting argument you have there, but it forgets that although advertising is 40 x lobbying, that 1/40 is given to a lot less people.
As for not having to go back to work, that depends how well off you are. If you happen to work in meatpacking, your choices will soon be go back to work or starve. The Defence Production Act will force meat packers to open. Governors will remove unemployment insurance for those who aren't going to work because of a fear of Covid-19 and liability is being removed for employers. Catch Covid-19 at work because of sub-standard working conditions and you get nothing, stay at home because of sub-standard conditions and you get nothing...
Maybe you missed my original point, or maybe I didn't articulate it well. People with means will create demand for restaurants, bars, jobs that offer protection from infection. People in the middle will create the same demand, larger in volume and smaller in margin. Retailers and employers that meet those demands will have an advantage. All the talk of what the government will do is missing what people with choices will do, and how industry will respond to the demand those people create.

Personally I don't give a hoot what some politician says about it being safe, and I expect many people feel the same way. As an employee, I will look at what health safeguards and work-from-home options my employer puts in place for me, and seek employment elsewhere if it's not as good as the competition. As a manager, I will implore my upper management and HR to allow work-from-home for our engineering staff, both so I don't lose good people to the competition and to help me hire talented people. I hire smart people with in-demand skills; they have options. As someone who in the past dined out with extreme frequency, I'm not setting foot in a restaurant unless I am convinced they are minimizing the risk my family will be exposed to the virus.

Yes, people at the bottom are largely screwed, more now than ever.
Old 05-04-20, 01:04 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Consumers do indeed have tremendous power.
Consumers = Useless eaters. <-- guilty as charged.

I'll agree that advertising is a formidable behavior modification tactic, that should be avoided.

The only way out of this mess is to think for yourself.

Likes For SHBR:
Old 05-04-20, 06:09 AM
MattB123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just hoping for some element of normality!
Old 05-04-20, 02:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 585 Posts
Here’s s bad sign - doctors in russia that complain, are mysteriously falling out of windows
Old 05-04-20, 04:06 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 225 Posts
Rumrunn6,
As an upside; they are not getting poked by an umbrella and having to wait three painful days to die. Smiles, MH
Old 05-06-20, 10:37 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Department Mourns the Passing of Dr. Bing Liu

A researcher in the United States that was studying the coronavirus pandemic was shot and killed in an apparent murder-suicide at his home in Pennsylvania. 37-year-old research professor Bing Liu was shot multiple times in the middle of the day on Saturday, May 2nd, according to police. Liu was a University of Pittsburgh research assistant professor who just recently started working on a COVID-19 related project and was said to be on the brink of a major discovery in his quest to understand the virus.

Liu has been contributing to several scientific projects, and has been published in a number of high-profile scientific journals. Liu has also co-authored over 30 publications, including four so far in 2020, and an entire book. Most recently, he had three publications in Nature Chem Biol, three in Radiation Research, two in Scientific Reports, one in Science Signaling, one in International Journal of Molecular Sciences, and another one in Frontiers in Pharmacology.

In a statement to the press, the university called Mr. Liu an outstanding and prolific researcher and an excellent mentor, and noted that he was on the verge of making very significant findings in understanding the coronavirus.

“Bing was on the verge of making very significant findings toward understanding the cellular mechanisms that underlie SARS-CoV-2 infection and the cellular basis of the following complications. We will make an effort to complete what he started in an effort to pay homage to his scientific excellence,” the statement read.

Photo: University of Pittsburgh

Ross police later identified the primary suspect as 46-year-old Hao Gu, who reportedly shot and killed himself in a parked car about 100 yards away from the murder. However, police have given no indication of what a possible motive could be. The only clues that have been revealed to the public thus far is that nothing was stolen from his home and there were no signs of forced entry. Ross police Sgt. Brian Kohlhepp also revealed that the men knew each other but did not give any further details about their relationship.

An autopsy found that Liu was shot multiple times, including in the head, neck, and torso, the passed away from the resulting injuries.

Dr. Liu received his BS and Ph.D. in Computer Science, at the National University of Singapore, under the supervision of Drs. P.S. Thiagarajan and David Hsu, and did his postdoctoral studies in the lab of Professor Dr. Edmund Clarke at Carnegie Mellon University. A few years ago he joined the Bahar lab at the University of Pittsburgh, as a Research Associate, and was recently promoted to a Research Assistant Professor position within the department.

Liu was married, but his wife was not home at the time of the murder. Neighbors say that the Liu family kept to themselves and Bing’s co-workers said that he was a positive and well-liked person with no known enemies.

This is just one of many strange cases of coronavirus researchers losing their lives under mysterious circumstances, although in most cases, the deaths appear to have been caused by suicide. This is the first time that an obvious murder has taken place.
Could have been a lovers quarrel for all I know, its not a good sign for the future.
Old 05-07-20, 08:08 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Farekunu View Post
I hope everything will be good soon. I worked from home during the quarantine and I liked it and now I am thinking of remote work. By the way, I suffer from insomnia this week, how can I deal with that? I've read a lot of reviews of CBD oil and wondering is it definitely so effective?
Try melatonin.