Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Riding in a Pandemic

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Riding in a Pandemic

Old 05-04-20, 07:25 AM
  #426  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
I'm excited to see how my favorite gravel grinder is managing their race for next month - Facebook post from Westside Dirty Benjamin:
As of today, Westside Dirty Benjamin is still planning on a ride this year. Dependent on the guidelines from the CDC and the Governor, at the time of the ride, things may change or be cancelled. Of course, the biggest concern is the health and safety of each rider. With that in mind, the idea is to have a cool, adventurous, gravel course planned that people can safely (from a social distance) enjoy. And, if you wish to have your time entered for the 2020 results, then we will put that together.

The tentative plan is as follows...
-> 2 or 3 start locations (Carver, LeSueur, and possibly Henderson)
-> The ride may be started at any time on Friday (6/12), Saturday (6/13), or Sunday (6/14)
-> Event timing will require the Strava app. and will be based on 3 to 5 segments, plus overall ride time.

As we know more about safety guidelines we will keep you updated with changes, and or, cancellations. Course details and timing guidelines will be posted around the end of May.

Thanks everyone for your support and understanding in these crazy times! Stay safe and well!
This race has always used the $100 bill as the logo with Ben wearing a cycling cap.... this year had one more modification for 2020

Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-04-20, 09:24 AM
  #427  
LeoBoon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Parksville, BC
Posts: 17

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Here is a piece of thought by a cyclistThe cyclists who now cycles on the road in tight bunches has not understood cycling. This is about people on bikes who go out on the road in groups and think: social distancing does not apply to me.

Numerous people on road bikes popped up this weekend. And, now that I think about it: the weekends before as well. As soon as the weather is nice, the trails and roads are taken over by people on bikes. Bike stores are busy with people new to cycling; who are looking to exercise outside of their home.

Cycling is a sport, a recreational activity that I have participated in my whole life. Since the day I was born in Amsterdam I have been seen on bicycle there, around the world and now for 30 years in Canada. I have a helmet and a small collection of unflattering shorts and several road and mountain bikes. All of which I am happy to say I am able to and don't hesitate to use at any given time. I love to cycle. There are few activities that are as much fun and as relaxing and as healthy as cycling in beautiful surroundings, and like most I prefer to keep up a pace, feel the wind through (my now unruly) hair. Feel your heart beating, blood pumping, legs burning. Fantastic

As with people in general, there are endless different kind of people on road bikes. Women, men, children, retirees, knuckleheads without helmets, polka dot jersey wearers and rainbow skin suits. Bontrager riders and retro/classic jerseys wearers. Experienced amateurs, Fitbit riders, touring and novice riders. Skinny calves and pop-out knees. People who are training for a performance that is just above their ability and people who do not yet dare to go to the bottom. Dietary gurus and Keto-Diet enthusiasts. Hangover cyclists and those who need to push the limits of their capabilities. Those who spit phlegm publicly and those who do it secretly. Types that do not have a bike bell because it does not look good (and therefore yell when they come upon someone) and non-antisocials.

The great thing about cycling on a road bike is that everyone can feel like a performer, a racer even. Anyone can buy a bicycle, an outfit and a helmet and do what his or her heroes do. Cyclists and bike racers share the same material (body and bicycle), the same fun, the same pain and the same decor. You can go to to the Alpe d’Huez and play Merckx or Froome. The only difference is that they went very fast and you aren’t, but you were both "on your max" and that creates a bond.

For those who played soccer on Sunday morning they know what that is like: the game you play recreationally is nothing like the game you see on TV played by the top teams. It's called the same thing, but there it ends too. The Sunday cyclist is much more susceptible to fantasy: you only have to think of a few things and you are already practically in the Tour the France. Go out with three friends and you will ride as a long escape in Paris-Roubaix. Head to head, diagonally across the road, the peloton on your heels.

A little childish maybe but oh well: there is little against keeping the child in you alive. At least: as long as you, with your group, do not clip past slower road users who have not heard you coming (and then react angrily). As long as you don't intimidate motorists. As long as you understand that walkers sometimes also use the bike path. As long as you understand how stressful it is for people in wheelchairs or mobility scooters when you swerve right in front of them at the last minute. As long as you continue to realize that traffic rules do not cover some kind of optional package from which you can choose what applies to you. As long as your shortest route does not mean a detour for another. As long as you do not behave as if your travelling speed, entitles you to a larger part of the available road or trail space. As long as you don't point too much (a bit is allowed) to wobbly people who continue to cycle or walk side by side or to swerving toddlers - after all, they cannot adapt, you do not want to adapt.

And: as long as it is not prohibited.

For weeks now, the guideline for people who want to cycle is to not take to the road in groups. However people have been on the road in groups with racing or mountain bikes for weeks. They tear through paths that are busier than ever, because everyone has to enjoy the same little piece today. Especially with many parks being closed. Sometimes they ride in small echelons. I don't know who those people are, or why they believe that what applies to everyone doesn't apply to them.

Perhaps they are housemates, family members or belong to a special cycling club for people who are already immune. Either way, they will all say the same thing: these restrictions do not apply to me. My situation is completely different, I am the exception. My little club does not contribute to the spread, nor does it contribute to the latent aggression that law-abiding solo cyclists now increasingly have to undergo.

For all those people this message: it is about you.

Those who take to the road in groups will probably never understand that competitive and recreational cycling is much more than cycling hard or slow together, it is a sport of insight, and one where the participant shows the willingness to temporarily put aside their own desires for the sake of a larger whole.
LeoBoon is offline  
Old 05-04-20, 05:23 PM
  #428  
myisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Not to say you're wrong, but could you post a link to your credentials as a MD with research focus in immunology and/or epidemiology?
Really?!? Please explain the freedom we are giving up ???
FWIW - I'm out riding every single day; nothing different here. As I posted earlier in this thread, the only things I've given up are group rides and organized races. And we are working on ways to modify both to fit with 2020 best practices to keep our community safe from this pandemic.
My masters degree is in Library and Information Science. I know how to research those dry boring reports in medical journals and government documents published by those MDs.

Our beach bike-way that I've been riding for over 30 years is closed and government cops are issuing $1000 tickets. My lost right to travel was a freedom.
myisland is offline  
Likes For myisland:
Old 05-04-20, 05:27 PM
  #429  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland View Post
My masters degree is in Library and Information Science. I know how to research those dry boring reports in medical journals and government documents published by those MDs.

Our beach bike-way that I've been riding for over 30 years is closed and government cops are issuing $1000 tickets. My lost right to travel was a freedom.
Ah, local law enforcement never misses a golden opportunity for revenue generating.

OTOH, in California the new zero bail regulations means that most criminals get off with a cite and release. Wonder how many of them will make their court appearances once the courts re-open.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 06:36 AM
  #430  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland View Post
My masters degree is in Library and Information Science. I know how to research those dry boring reports in medical journals and government documents published by those MDs.

Our beach bike-way that I've been riding for over 30 years is closed and government cops are issuing $1000 tickets. My lost right to travel was a freedom.
OK, so you're not an MD ... that's fine. Reading a medical journal is OK, but analyzing and understanding the information takes a very different level of education and research experience than you have (look at the Dutch study on biking/jogging and transmission of COVID19, once people with applicable education/experience reviewed the report, it was debunked). Therefore, I'll take your opinion of medical science with the same weight as my opinion. And since I can clearly see the number of COVID19 cases increasing, even with extremely limited availability to testing, that suggests that we are not at the end of COVID19 season. (who cares about flu season, this is not the flu)

Based on your lost freedom ... I'm suffer the exact same lost freedom: the main bike corridor past my house to the city is closed and police are issuing tickets for trespassing. However, my route is closed for construction of a commuter rail corridor.

There's another major bike route I love to ride out to rural areas, that's been closed for 5 years because a landslide and nobody has the budget to repair the damage.

Then there's the trail the closed to replace an interstate bridge over the trail.

MAN! I've lost SO MUCH freedom!!!

Except .... I know how to ride a bike on the road to preserve my freedom to travel - I have gone everywhere I want, when I want without issue.

So maybe, just maybe, your right to travel is still there, you simply haven't been able to see past that one bike trail being closed.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-05-20, 02:09 PM
  #431  
myisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
...

Based on your lost freedom ... I'm suffer the exact same lost freedom: the main bike corridor past my house to the city is closed and police are issuing tickets for trespassing. However, my route is closed for construction of a commuter rail corridor.
There's another major bike route I love to ride out to rural areas, that's been closed for 5 years because a landslide and nobody has the budget to repair the damage.
Then there's the trail the closed to replace an interstate bridge over the trail.
MAN! I've lost SO MUCH freedom!!!
Except .... I know how to ride a bike on the road to preserve my freedom to travel - I have gone everywhere I want, when I want without issue.
So maybe, just maybe, your right to travel is still there, you simply haven't been able to see past that one bike trail being closed.
It's nice that you have more rural areas to ride in but it's different here - the drivers in Los Angeles kill, cripple, and maim knowledgeable skilled riders with impunity.
myisland is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 02:40 PM
  #432  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland View Post
It's nice that you have more rural areas to ride in but it's different here - the drivers in Los Angeles kill, cripple, and maim knowledgeable skilled riders with impunity.
I have rural areas to ride to, and enjoy them when I have time to get there (it's 20 miles to get outside the burbs & I ride to get there). If you think LA roads are scary, get on a rural 2-lane highway with no shoulder and 55 mph speed limit. Rural routes will often require riding roads like this to connect to the enjoyable roads.

To be clear, cars hit people on bikes here (and basically everywhere). Common saying: if you want to get away with murder, kills someone with your car.

OTOH - it appears many people do ride the roads in LA and surrounding areas. https://www.strava.com/heatmap#9.04/...77907/hot/ride

And this guy Phil says LA is a great place to ride: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#9.04/...77907/hot/ride

Now if you lived in Florida, than I'd understand why you're afraid to ride the roads ... that state's terrifying!


The only thing taking your freedom is your fear.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 03:04 PM
  #433  
myisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I have rural areas to ride to, and enjoy them when I have time to get there (it's 20 miles to get outside the burbs & I ride to get there). If you think LA roads are scary, get on a rural 2-lane highway with no shoulder and 55 mph speed limit. Rural routes will often require riding roads like this to connect to the enjoyable roads.
To be clear, cars hit people on bikes here (and basically everywhere). Common saying: if you want to get away with murder, kills someone with your car.
OTOH - it appears many people do ride the roads in LA and surrounding areas. https://www.strava.com/heatmap#9.04/...77907/hot/ride
And this guy Phil says LA is a great place to ride: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#9.04/...77907/hot/ride
Now if you lived in Florida, than I'd understand why you're afraid to ride the roads ... that state's terrifying!
The only thing taking your freedom is your fear.
I know several people who were seriously injured and had to quit. Others eventually recovered after much pain and therapy. Here a car will hit you making a right turn and simply drive away oblivious or like they hit a bump in the road. Some drivers here have road diet road rage and use their cars as a weapon.
myisland is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 03:17 PM
  #434  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland View Post
I know several people who were seriously injured and had to quit. Others eventually recovered after much pain and therapy. Here a car will hit you making a right turn and simply drive away oblivious or like they hit a bump in the road. Some drivers here have road diet road rage and use their cars as a weapon.
To be clear, you're not alone. For example, I have a friend who was badly injured when hit by a police car, he's never been able to ride at the same level. I know a long lists of people with similar stories.

I also know people that have injuries with car wrecks while driving. And some that were hit by a car while walking. Or my neighbor who passed out and wrecker her neck in her house. It's a dangerous world.

Biking on the road times knowledge, experience, and planning. There are some excellent courses out there to help you learn to be safer riding the roads. When my kid went to college in heart of the city with nothing but a bike to get around, I signed her up for Savvy Cyclist - 10 years later, she still lives in the heart of the city and gets around by bike and never had serious issue.

I want to be clear, I started this exchange because a closed bike trail is not 'lost freedom' - if you're riding a beach trail, you're likely doing it for fitness, not transportation. Your freedom has not be affected, your recreation has been modified to protect your community from a pandemic.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 02:35 AM
  #435  
myisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
To be clear, you're not alone. For example, I have a friend who was badly injured when hit by a police car, he's never been able to ride at the same level. I know a long lists of people with similar stories.
I also know people that have injuries with car wrecks while driving. And some that were hit by a car while walking. Or my neighbor who passed out and wrecker her neck in her house. It's a dangerous world.
Biking on the road times knowledge, experience, and planning. There are some excellent courses out there to help you learn to be safer riding the roads. When my kid went to college in heart of the city with nothing but a bike to get around, I signed her up for Savvy Cyclist - 10 years later, she still lives in the heart of the city and gets around by bike and never had serious issue.
I want to be clear, I started this exchange because a closed bike trail is not 'lost freedom' - if you're riding a beach trail, you're likely doing it for fitness, not transportation. Your freedom has not be affected, your recreation has been modified to protect your community from a pandemic.
You don't know squat about cycling in Los Angeles. The beach path is heavily used for transportation too. I think we have said enough. /
myisland is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 06:47 AM
  #436  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Please reread the post: " ... you're likely doing it for fitness, not transportation." Of course the beach route is popular for transportation too. No different here with our very popular Mississippi River Trails and the chain of lakes trails; most riders are on fitness/leisure/recreational rides and some people use these same trails to get from A-to-B. OTOH, those getting from A-to-B, most of them know how to get where they are going if these popular trails are closed for an event, repair, or too busy with leisure riders. I know very few people that use a bike from transportation that are limited by a trails closure.

Also, bringing us back to the start of this exchange: "Your freedom has not be affected"

I hope you stay healthy and well during these challenging times. We are all making changes to our lives to protect our community from this global pandemic.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:10 AM
  #437  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 470 Posts
I think all we can say for certain is that YOUR freedom has not been curtailed to an extent that it bothers YOU. Please just leave it at that and stop trying to speak for others, you don't have that right. TYIA.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:41 AM
  #438  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,358

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
I think all we can say for certain is that YOUR freedom has not been curtailed to an extent that it bothers YOU. Please just leave it at that and stop trying to speak for others, you don't have that right. TYIA.

Did you just cite the First Amendment to say that someone does not have a right to speak in a manner you don't approve of?

Wow, just wow!
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-20, 09:03 AM
  #439  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
To be clear, false statements of fact is not protected by the First Amendment (list of exceptions to the free speech).

That is not totally applicable in this case; however, it is a clear exaggeration and not supported by facts.




These are feelings, not facts. With the over-hyped wave of protests, I am taking issues with overstating our situation during this pandemic.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 10:11 PM
  #440  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Who needs rights!

Disneyland will be open soon.

On the day of their reservation, guests will have to present their health QR codes, have their temperature checked, and wear face masks during the entirety of their visit except when they are eating.The theme park announced that the majority of its attractions, rides, shops, and restaurants would be open on May 11 though some interactive attractions and experiences, like children’s play areas, will remain closed along with theater shows, parades, and the nightly fireworks display.

You also won’t be able to get close-up photos with any of the characters, though they will be around to greet guests.

The rest of Disney’s parks around the world remain closed and have not yet announced plans for reopening.
SHBR is offline  
Likes For SHBR:
Old 05-11-20, 09:11 AM
  #441  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Based on last week's exchanges ... I'll just drop this here.




Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-11-20, 10:37 AM
  #442  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
I'm not an epidemiologist. I talk like I am one on the internet.
skookum is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 10:30 AM
  #443  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,358

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I'm not an epidemiologist. I talk like I am one on the internet.
That's gone viral.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 10:58 PM
  #444  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts

Rock Star Ted Nugent: Your fear is not an excuse to destroy America

"Why do I have to stay home just because you are scared? How about you stay home... you stay in your house indefinitely, you wear a mask, you socially distance yourself from me, you avoid restaurants, you avoid baseball games, you stay off the roads, you avoid malls and beaches and parks, you believe the made up death numbers, you believe the media hype, you get your toxic vaccine while avoiding vitamin C, sunshine and the things God gave us to actually heal, -

I'm done playing your dumb game. We are not "all in this together." I'm not wearing your dumb tin foil hat anymore. I'm no longer going to be a prisoner of your fear. I'm no longer staying in my house or catering to you because you are scared. I'm not wearing a mask and I'm not staying 6 feet away from you anymore because I'm not afraid of you. You are not my enemy and if I get sick, it's not because of you, it's because of me and my system, which not only have I been addressing for quite some time, but I also know how to treat if I get sick.

This virus (or whatever it is) is already circulating. Millions of people have already encountered it, as it's been circulating around the world probably since last September. You WILL have to confront this thing, if you haven't already. There is no way around it, unless you lock yourself up in your house and it somehow doesn't manage to hop on some mail or some groceries that you ordered online. Your fear is not an excuse to destroy America. Your fear is not my fear and your fear does not have the right to interfere with my life, my job, my income or my future as a free American citizen. So if you're scared, you can just put your tin foil hat on, or even wrap foil all around your whole body - or around your whole house if you wish - but please keep your fear contained to your little corner of the world and don't contaminate me or my family or my Country.

SHBR is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 11:33 PM
  #445  
CycleryNorth81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 724

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
"Why do I have to stay home just because you are scared? How about you stay home... you stay in your house indefinitely, you wear a mask, you socially distance yourself from me, you avoid restaurants, you avoid baseball games, you stay off the roads, you avoid malls and beaches and parks, you believe the made up death numbers, you believe the media hype, you get your toxic vaccine while avoiding vitamin C, sunshine and the things God gave us to actually heal, -

I'm done playing your dumb game. We are not "all in this together." I'm not wearing your dumb tin foil hat anymore. I'm no longer going to be a prisoner of your fear. I'm no longer staying in my house or catering to you because you are scared. I'm not wearing a mask and I'm not staying 6 feet away from you anymore because I'm not afraid of you. You are not my enemy and if I get sick, it's not because of you, it's because of me and my system, which not only have I been addressing for quite some time, but I also know how to treat if I get sick.

This virus (or whatever it is) is already circulating. Millions of people have already encountered it, as it's been circulating around the world probably since last September. You WILL have to confront this thing, if you haven't already. There is no way around it, unless you lock yourself up in your house and it somehow doesn't manage to hop on some mail or some groceries that you ordered online. Your fear is not an excuse to destroy America. Your fear is not my fear and your fear does not have the right to interfere with my life, my job, my income or my future as a free American citizen. So if you're scared, you can just put your tin foil hat on, or even wrap foil all around your whole body - or around your whole house if you wish - but please keep your fear contained to your little corner of the world and don't contaminate me or my family or my Country.
You have every right to catch an infection. Just don't make me pay for your medical care with my tax dollars.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 12:09 AM
  #446  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
You have every right to catch an infection. Just don't make me pay for your medical care with my tax dollars.
Tell it to Ted!

I'm unfortunately, very much alive, and infection free, or so I'm told.

The crowded subway I took yesterday will certainly kill me soon.
SHBR is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 12:15 AM
  #447  
CycleryNorth81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 724

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Tell it to Ted!

I'm unfortunately, very much alive, and infection free, or so I'm told.

The crowded subway I took yesterday will certainly kill me soon.
Tell Ted that. I am sure he can remedy that issue.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 12:23 AM
  #448  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Tell Ted that. I am sure he can remedy that issue.
I'm sure he could, as could anyone, including YOU!
SHBR is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 10:35 AM
  #449  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I'm loving it

Everyday there are less and less vehicles on the roadways, despite extremely low gas prices; I've seen it as low as $1.70
Well, it was nice while it lasted...Traffic around here is starting to really pick up; it took forever for me to get back on the road as I was pulling out the parking lot of my LBS, because of all the traffic. And of course the gas prices are on the rise...



.
work4bike is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 04:45 PM
  #450  
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Posts: 4,162

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Well, it was nice while it lasted...Traffic around here is starting to really pick up;.
I really enjoyed about 3 weeks of relatively car-free cycling on roads I'm now unable to go back to. That's okay...there are plenty of options for me...but riding a usually busy road in the middle of the day was a real joy.
__________________

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.