I have Sars-CoV-2,...and it sux,...

Old 05-13-20, 06:44 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
DEAR LORD!!! I said something was wrong with this damn test,... Or it's just how CITYMD is contacting patients and relaying test information.
It doesn't sound like there's an issue with the test, rather they were premature in claiming the presence of antibodies ensures immunity. It likely does but that has yet to be proven.
Old 05-13-20, 06:48 PM
gregf83 

And like I said, my point is I managed to get a false negative test result, and I've been told that I'd need to retake the test to get a true end result. The entire wall of text above, though descriptive, was truly unnecessary. Most of us are quite capable of understanding how this works. Well,...some of us. I know we have a few people around who deny anything based on actual science. I don't happen to be one of them. I've seen too many on point examples to say otherwise.

UPDATE: The antibody test I took wasn't from Roche, it was from ****tt Architect,...it's not 100% accurate. Oh, the way this entire pandemic is being handled is pathetic.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...st-performance

I wonder why the site is blocking the name of the company,...
It's pretty close though. It correctly detected 88 out of 88 positive samples.
Old 05-13-20, 07:11 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
It's pretty close though. It correctly detected 88 out of 88 positive samples.
Unfortunately I have no confidence in CityMD at this point. Besides, Quest Diagnostic is right in my neighborhood.
Old 05-13-20, 07:34 PM
gregf83 

Unfortunately I have no confidence in CityMD at this point. Besides, Quest Diagnostic is right in my neighborhood.
Very few of these tests have been verified with the normal rigor and the pressure to increase testing capacity may contribute to 'user error' or sample contamination. It sounds like either:
1. Your original Covid-19 positive test was wrong and you didn't have Covid or,
2. The recent serorogy test was a false negative
3. You had Covid-19 but didn't develop antibodies
Old 05-13-20, 07:44 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Very few of these tests have been verified with the normal rigor and the pressure to increase testing capacity may contribute to 'user error' or sample contamination. It sounds like either:
1. Your original Covid-19 positive test was wrong and you didn't have Covid or,
2. The recent serorogy test was a false negative
3. You had Covid-19 but didn't develop antibodies
1 I definitely had Covid 19.
2 It was definitely a false negative
3 I'm losing confidence in the current tests available, and this whole situation is too mismanaged to be 100% conclusive at this stage.
Old 05-16-20, 01:33 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 649 Posts
It is hard to get the antibody tests to behave correctly. The differences between background and positive signal are quite small, and calibration is still a big issue. In principle, they should be as reliable as a pregnancy ELISA, but they aren't quite there yet, and a lot of technical user error can be present.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-17-20, 07:24 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
It is hard to get the antibody tests to behave correctly. The differences between background and positive signal are quite small, and calibration is still a big issue. In principle, they should be as reliable as a pregnancy ELISA, but they aren't quite there yet, and a lot of technical user error can be present.
I just plan on waiting until the end of June/early July to get retested. I don't trust the tests at all right now.
Old 05-20-20, 11:10 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Testing is becoming more of a joke every passing day.

The overall mortality rate isn't much different than previous years is it?

I fully expected millions to be dead going by what the media was telling us.

The link you provide says "Wuhan now plans to test all 11 million residents after 6 new coronavirus cases were reported". So the Chinese government is going to spend all that time and energy because they don't have anything better to do. It's a hoax/joke that the Chinese government fell for, right?
Old 05-21-20, 12:27 AM
CycleryNorth81

Ask them, I have no idea what the hell their idea is.

I'm SURE its all above board!

Why would "dear leader" and the ministry of truth lie to us?

It is a conspiracy right? The communist leaders and all of the western leaders are in on this corona virus thing. Talk about world cooperation.
Old 05-21-20, 12:29 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts
Ask them, I have no idea what the hell their idea is.

I'm SURE its all above board!

Why would "dear leader" and the ministry of truth lie to us?

If anything, your "Dear Leader" is desperately trying to undercount excess deaths, as are a few Governors. Problem is dead bodies don't lie. A quick look at excess deaths on the CDC website says a whole bunch more people than average died recently.... https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm Luckily most Americans have a degree of commonsense and self preservation and have been ignoring the "Dear Leaders" command to get back to work for the benefit of the countrty his billionaire mates, So they're responsible for keeping the death toll down. It's only the stupid shouty ones who think it's all some kind of media beat up/hoax/new world order plot and are out doing the bidding of their billionaire masters by protesting like good little sock puppets.

Last edited by BillyD; 05-25-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 01:44 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

I didn't vote for him, did you?

As for the body count, nobody knows, they can easily be burned before anyone counts them.

Stay out of my thread,... I don't need the propaganda.
Old 05-21-20, 02:44 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Ok.

Good luck sorting out "the propaganda."
Old 05-21-20, 03:35 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 227 Posts
SHBR, leave this thread. That means no more posting here. If you want to make political comments, go to P&R
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 05-25-20, 03:42 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

I just plan on waiting until the end of June/early July to get retested. I don't trust the tests at all right now.
I checked with my wife. She says the most reliable test right now is Roche, followed by A bb ot labs. My understanding is that these work essentially by detecting whether you have antibodies that bind to the virus spike protein. The problems seem to arise (when they do) from calibration, and the degree of signal you need to be considered a positive response. It also assumes that everyone who raises an antibody response does so to the spike protein, and I am not clear on how good an assumption that might be. There are also at least two different strains in NYC that have two different spike protein sequences.
Old 05-25-20, 04:07 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

I checked with my wife. She says the most reliable test right now is Roche, followed by A bb ot labs. My understanding is that these work essentially by detecting whether you have antibodies that bind to the virus spike protein. The problems seem to arise (when they do) from calibration, and the degree of signal you need to be considered a positive response. It also assumes that everyone who raises an antibody response does so to the spike protein, and I am not clear on how good an assumption that might be. There are also at least two different strains in NYC that have two different spike protein sequences.
I need to take the Roche test,... The ****tt test didn't register correctly for me apparently.
Old 05-26-20, 08:33 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

tds101 Did you see this?

Antibody tests for Covid-19 wrong half the time, CDC says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/healt...ong/index.html

I think this is primarily about false positives, rather than negatives, but it still makes me wonder...
Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-26-20, 09:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 198 Posts
tds101 Did you see this?

Antibody tests for Covid-19 wrong half the time, CDC says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/healt...ong/index.html

I think this is primarily about false positives, rather than negatives, but it still makes me wonder...
Isn't that title grossly misleading? The title appears to be based on this statement from the CDC:

"For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%. In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies. Alternatively, the same test in a population with an antibody prevalence exceeding 52% will yield a positive predictive greater than 95%, meaning that less than one in 20 people testing positive will have a false positive test result."

That's just an example to illustrate how when you are trying to measure a small prevalence, the accuracy of the test can make the results rather meaningless.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uidelines.html

Not all the tests are as inaccurate as described in the CDC's example. The CDC recommends:

"Choosing a test with a very high specificity, perhaps 99.5% or greater, will yield a high positive predictive value in populations tested with prevalence
>5%."

And if this is accuate, both <Costello's sidekick> and Roche have tests that appear to qualify:

https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/art...tibody-testing

Old 05-27-20, 03:38 AM
CycleryNorth81

Questions about COVID-19 test accuracy raised across the testing spectrum

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...aZB?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 05-28-20, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Isn't that title grossly misleading? The title appears to be based on this statement from the CDC:

"For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%. In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies. Alternatively, the same test in a population with an antibody prevalence exceeding 52% will yield a positive predictive greater than 95%, meaning that less than one in 20 people testing positive will have a false positive test result."

That's just an example to illustrate how when you are trying to measure a small prevalence, the accuracy of the test can make the results rather meaningless.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uidelines.html

Not all the tests are as inaccurate as described in the CDC's example. The CDC recommends:

"Choosing a test with a very high specificity, perhaps 99.5% or greater, will yield a high positive predictive value in populations tested with prevalence
>5%."

And if this is accuate, both <Costello's sidekick> and Roche have tests that appear to qualify:

https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/art...tibody-testing

That "prevalence >5%" is a very important caveat, though. Let's say you're testing a population of 1000 people with an actual prevalence of 2%. If the test is 99.5% accurate, you should get 20 correct positives and 5 false positives. It's a lot better than a coin flip, but there would still be 20% of the positive tests that might cause people to falsely think they have immunity. If the actual prevalence is 1%, that false positive rate increases to 33.3% (5 out of 15 positives being false).
Old 05-28-20, 10:30 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
That "prevalence >5%" is a very important caveat, though. Let's say you're testing a population of 1000 people with an actual prevalence of 2%. If the test is 99.5% accurate, you should get 20 correct positives and 5 false positives. It's a lot better than a coin flip, but there would still be 20% of the positive tests that might cause people to falsely think they have immunity. If the actual prevalence is 1%, that false positive rate increases to 33.3% (5 out of 15 positives being false).
Yep. The smaller the prevalence, the greater the accuracy the test must be to correctly estimate the prevalance.

Speaking of which ... are there any updated estimates for prevalence? I'm sure it varies widely by region, but I am wondering why they focused on the 5% number.

Old 05-29-20, 07:05 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

Base rate bias. I went over this in Post #71 . I also mentioned the better reliability of the Roche ab assay compared to other manufacturers in that post. And then I sort of got told off by the OP in Post #72 .
Old 05-29-20, 08:15 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Base rate bias. I went over this in Post #71 . I also mentioned the better reliability of the Roche ab assay compared to other manufacturers in that post. And then I sort of got told off by the OP in Post #72 .
Yeah,...ok,... It's amazing how I'm forced to prove to someone that I'd had the novel coronavirus, and that I'd end up in a dispute concerning the accuracy of the test that I'd taken. Do me a favor please, keep me out of your conversation. The sarcastic wink really helps BTW.
Old 05-30-20, 12:38 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,479 Posts
TBH, post 71 definitely fell into the tl/dr category. You took far too many words to explain something quite simple. BTW, I explained the very same thing many days ago in a different thread.

Anyway, I was responding to the numbers asserted in the report that biker quoted, so your reference back is really not helpful.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-30-20 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 08:04 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 129 Posts
Yeah,...ok,... It's amazing how I'm forced to prove to someone that I'd had the novel coronavirus, and that I'd end up in a dispute concerning the accuracy of the test that I'd taken. Do me a favor please, keep me out of your conversation. The sarcastic wink really helps BTW.
I donít know why youíre so defensive about having Covid or not. Even if all of your tests were negative, you could still actually have Covid. It sounds like you had it for sure, and some other serious lingering effects. Your struggle to get healthy again is not left unnoticed. You donít have to prove anything to anyone here. If your provider(s) diagnose(d) you as a Covid patient. A diagnosis code of U07.1 is Covid positive, but youíre probably already aware of that.

The little blue winky was because I didnít really feel like I got told off, especially considering you edited that post to agree with needing the Roche test. Anyway, keep working on getting better. Hereís to health!
Old 05-30-20, 08:21 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

I donít know why youíre so defensive about having Covid or not. Even if all of your tests were negative, you could still actually have Covid. It sounds like you had it for sure, and some other serious lingering effects. Your struggle to get healthy again is not left unnoticed. You donít have to prove anything to anyone here. If your provider(s) diagnose(d) you as a Covid patient. A diagnosis code of U07.1 is Covid positive, but youíre probably already aware of that.

The little blue winky was because I didnít really feel like I got told off, especially considering you edited that post to agree with needing the Roche test. Anyway, keep working on getting better. Hereís to health!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.