Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Things you'll never do again (probably)

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Things you'll never do again (probably)

Old 06-03-20, 10:45 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
1) There ARE vaccines,
2) the deaths did not happen in as short a period of time,
3) and the corona virus is still not fully understood.

COVID is killing 20X more people per week than the flu and flu complications did... thus overwhelming the health care system.
1. There are flu vaccines, yet 21,000 to 60,000 still die annually from the flu, as well as 900,000 being hospitalized in the 2017-2018 flu season. I, for one, won't be calm once the Corona vaccine comes out.
2. The short term of the deaths should have nothing to do with your fear. Death is death, whether it's in the first 3 months of the year, or spread out.
3. The flu is not yet fully understood if 21,000-61,000 people are still dying from it every year.

And I never said I wasn't weary of corona, in fact, just the opposite. What I don't understand is why we weren't as weary of communicable viruses PRIOR to corona? were 60,000 flu deaths acceptable, but 100,000 for corona is too much?
Old 06-03-20, 11:34 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8643 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
1. There are flu vaccines, yet 21,000 to 60,000 still die annually from the flu, as well as 900,000 being hospitalized in the 2017-2018 flu season. I, for one, won't be calm once the Corona vaccine comes out.
2. The short term of the deaths should have nothing to do with your fear. Death is death, whether it's in the first 3 months of the year, or spread out.
3. The flu is not yet fully understood if 21,000-61,000 people are still dying from it every year.

And I never said I wasn't weary of corona, in fact, just the opposite. What I don't understand is why we weren't as weary of communicable viruses PRIOR to corona? were 60,000 flu deaths acceptable, but 100,000 for corona is too much?
We have been as weary toward other viruses... but again, none have killed so many as quickly... 20 times as many in the same period of time... that overwhelms our healthcare system and sets up a huge potential for the deaths of millions... which you apparently do not understand. At even over 100 Thousand deaths, this is NOT OVER... hence the huge difference between COVID and the seasonal flu.

And regarding vaccines... in spite of availability, people still choose to not get the vaccine. Perhaps those folks SHOULD be treating the flu more seriously.

You keep comparing the number of deaths in ONE QUARTER to those over an entire year... How is that equal? At this point, we really don't know what COVID can bring in the 2nd, and later waves.

But sure, if you want to talk about 30,000-40,000 deaths... why do we allow firearms or automobiles to remain part of the American scene?
Old 06-03-20, 11:46 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
How much power did it take to show that movie???
1.21 gigawatts
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 06-03-20, 11:56 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I have friends who keep posting articles that they choose to interpret as evidence of the efficacy of "herd immunity." And for as long as we continue to be friends, I'll keep reminding them that they're talking about soft genocide and eugenics. So say bye-bye to your older and weaker family, friends and neighbors now.
More representative than "herd Immunity" is "culling of the herd". The young and healthy (and the older and delusional) don't have an issue with this because they believe they won't be culled.
Old 06-03-20, 07:33 PM
Rider_1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Yeah, I have no idea how much it would dissipate in 5 mins. I have read the critical contact time is 15 mins, thats obviously an educated guess, not a fact, and it doesn't mean 14 minutes is safe.

I certainly have no intention of going near a gym for the forseeable future.
I like going to the gym but I'm cancelling my membership. I'm getting in good workouts at home, and gyms are disgusting incubators at the best of times. There is absolutely no way that they can be made safe, especially the special classes that take place in smaller, closed studios. Physical distancing is a farce in those environments.
Old 06-03-20, 07:40 PM
Rider_1

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
We have been as weary toward other viruses... but again, none have killed so many as quickly... 20 times as many in the same period of time... that overwhelms our healthcare system and sets up a huge potential for the deaths of millions... which you apparently do not understand. At even over 100 Thousand deaths, this is NOT OVER... hence the huge difference between COVID and the seasonal flu.

And regarding vaccines... in spite of availability, people still choose to not get the vaccine. Perhaps those folks SHOULD be treating the flu more seriously.

You keep comparing the number of deaths in ONE QUARTER to those over an entire year... How is that equal? At this point, we really don't know what COVID can bring in the 2nd, and later waves.

But sure, if you want to talk about 30,000-40,000 deaths... why do we allow firearms or automobiles to remain part of the American scene?
Whenever I hear the flu arguments, I always notice two things 1) they ignore the fact that covid is waaaay more contagious, and 2) they act like covid deaths are in place of flu deaths instead of in addition to. We're going to have all those flu deaths, and now all these new, covid deaths as well, but for some reason, that's ok? "The flu kills 50,000 so whats another 100,000?"
Old 06-04-20, 04:29 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 127 Posts

Old 06-08-20, 01:22 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 132 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage
Old 06-08-20, 09:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12017 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
Annually, influenza has killed between 12,000 and 61,000 people in the US alone, why weren't you afraid of all these things prior to corona?
Annually, I get the influenza vaccine.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-09-20, 01:24 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Eat something that hit a surface in a public space (no more five second rule)
Go to a movie theater
Shake hands
Hugging a non immediate family member or best friend type
I've done all of these things recently, except for the theater, as I prefer to consume media in the comfort of my own home.

Everything is back in business here, many people (including myself) here giving up masks too.

Old 06-14-20, 04:31 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Eat something that hit a surface in a public space (no more five second rule)
Go to a movie theater
Shake hands
Hugging a non immediate family member or best friend type

We do not find studies where Wuhan Flu is transmitted when ingesting food.
Likes For Pouhana:
Old 06-14-20, 04:35 PM
Pouhana

We have no vaccine for Corona Virus and there are 7 billion people that did not get wiped out.
Old 06-14-20, 06:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11368 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Pouhana View Post
So that means it cannot happen? That aside, I would never eat food from the floor of a public space to begin with, but knock yourself out if itís your thing.
Old 06-14-20, 10:57 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8643 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 685 Posts
We have no vaccine for Corona Virus and there are 7 billion people that did not get wiped out.
I expect 7 billion people won't be "wiped out..."
But it ain't over yet...
Old 06-15-20, 04:31 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
So that means it cannot happen? That aside, I would never eat food from the floor of a public space to begin with, but knock yourself out if itís your thing.

Floor is really taking it to the next level.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-15-20, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11368 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,669 Posts
Floor is really taking it to the next level.
The post I was responding to reads "surface." A floor is a surface.
Old 06-15-20, 08:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 197 Posts
Wuhan flu? COVID is not the flu.

In any case, yep ... everything I have read says that this is not a means of transmission. There are enough of them to be concerned with ... no reason to start worrying about ones that do not exist.

Old 06-15-20, 09:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

The post I was responding to reads "surface." A floor is a surface.

Don't take it as a confrontation. Mad props.
Old 06-17-20, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked 1,129 Times in 750 Posts
I've added avoiding places where alcohol is served to my list of places and things I won't do again anytime soon.

The level of irrational paranoia is rapidly escalating in my area. Between the pandemic and more recent social unrest, I'm seeing posts from local folks indicating that too many people are just itching for armed confrontations. Their comments on local news media and even ordinary press releases from the mayor and representatives invariably drift toward conspiracy theories (they remained convinced hydroxychloroquine is the only thing that really works), including notions that wearing an ordinary personal protective face mask may indicate the wearer is the mythical antifa ("Antifa wears masks! Why are people hiding behind masks unless they're antifa!"). They feel threatened by mundane stuff like PPE masks, social distancing, and people who don't look exactly like themselves.

It's reached orange flag level tension even in a state where craziness is the official state sport.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-20, 04:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

No one cares here in upstate NY. Lake Placid is packed with tourists, and few are distancing or wearing masks. I went hiking yesterday, the people I'd pass in the back country didn't make much effort to pass at a appropriate distance, or wear masks. Plates in the lot Ohio, PA, Ohio, FLA, PA, CT, FLA, DC. That was just what I saw driving away. It's stressful.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-17-20, 10:02 AM
ridethecliche
Village Idiot

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Yeah, I've been wearing a 'buff' around my neck when on rides in philly. I pull it up on the trail where others are around to cover my mouth/nose. I don't wear one when I'm riding where I live because I'm by myself.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-17-20, 05:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked 1,129 Times in 750 Posts
Our local mayor and fire chief just admitted the May reopening was premature, hospitals are filling up, and reiterated that private businesses may impose whatever PPE requirements they deem fit, so customers can't call 911 just because the business owner requires wearing a mask while shopping.

Despite her long history of supporting every conservative cause so beloved by her constituency, now they're accusing her of being a RINO and Deep State operative. Because facts.

There is no possibility of getting through to some people. I'd have more respect for them if they'd simply admit that they don't care whether anyone else dies, including their own grandparents, as long as nothing hinders their pursuit of pleasure.
Old 06-17-20, 11:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Our local mayor and fire chief just admitted the May reopening was premature, hospitals are filling up, and reiterated that private businesses may impose whatever PPE requirements they deem fit, so customers can't call 911 just because the business owner requires wearing a mask while shopping.

Despite her long history of supporting every conservative cause so beloved by her constituency, now they're accusing her of being a RINO and Deep State operative. Because facts.

There is no possibility of getting through to some people. I'd have more respect for them if they'd simply admit that they don't care whether anyone else dies, including their own grandparents, as long as nothing hinders their pursuit of pleasure.
Bexar County aka San Antonio is spiking. Luckily Iím in the boonies about 50 miles out. A virus is not political or cares what race you are or how much $ you have. At first people here were doing the right thing but lately many are acting like it wonít happen to me. Crazy...
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-25-20, 09:53 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 127 Posts
i probably will never lock my bike again ... i don't go anywhere ...i just ride to nowhere and back ... most places there is almost no one there ... when im off the bike im with the bike .... is this spiritual purification or stage 3 insanity
Old 06-27-20, 01:30 PM
Pouhana

Why not?
Free range chickens eat their lunch from the ground in the barnyard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.