Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird SRAM front derailler problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 11:02 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

I have the Apex 2x10 components and the front derailler is giving me issues. It shift okay, not the best, going from the small to large ring while on the repair stand but once I take it out on the road it fails to shift to the big ring. All adjustments looks and works fine, components don't seem to be worn or anything. I also have a new chain. I was wondering if maybe the derailler or shifter is going bad but cannot pinpoint the problem.

Anyone here experienced this issue before? I know SRAM FD have been know to be iffy but I need a place to look before I start replacing parts. TIA...
Old 09-11-19, 03:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
The biggest difference between the repair stand world and the actual riding world is the rider. And front shifting can be very technique dependent. Has anyone else tried riding the bike and shifted? Andy
Old 09-11-19, 03:27 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The biggest difference between the repair stand world and the actual riding world is the rider. And front shifting can be very technique dependent. Has anyone else tried riding the bike and shifted? Andy
+1 there is no load on the drivetrain while on the stand. Try pedaling slowly enough to unload the freehub pawls but still keep the chain moving and see if it shifts better. Also, how old is the chain? A worn chain has more sideways flex and may not shift as well as when it was new. You might also have the high limit set a skosh too tight, try easing off its adjustment a bit, but not enough to shift the chain off the big ring.