Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I need help with a dilemma

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 03:57 PM
Lestat90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all.i dont know if this is the right category for this but I want to buy a Bottecchia Duello(racing kind) for 200euros, however the owner has changed the handlebar to a Riser Bar.
Is it a good idea to buy this bike since I want to use it in the city. People are telling me that road wheels(mid section)are not good idea for in city riding.Also shifters are changed to Shimano. Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Old 11-02-19, 04:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Riser bars are fine for noncompetitive city riding, but a racing frame may have tight clearances that would limit your tire selection. Depending on road conditions in your city, you may find this to be a problem.
Old 11-03-19, 07:42 AM
Lestat90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Riser bars are fine for noncompetitive city riding, but a racing frame may have tight clearances that would limit your tire selection. Depending on road conditions in your city, you may find this to be a problem.
Thanks man this is really helpfull
Old 11-03-19, 07:51 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
You can ride any bike anywhere. If you like it and it fits, buy it!

If your streets are bombed out, with craters and rubble everywhere , buy a stronger wheelset. Racing wheels are fine for most cities, if you're careful.
Old 11-03-19, 10:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most of the folks I know who hybridized a road bike with swept bars like albatross or North Roads, or riser bars, also switched to saddles better suited to the more upright position. Selle Anatomica are pretty popular for that -- softer than Brooks, no break-in, a sort of hammock type ride.

Other folks using flat or riser bars slam them so they're still in a fairly conventional road bike position, which is good with narrower saddles. Depends on pelvic angle, where the sit bones meet the saddle, etc.

So check whether the bike you're looking at has the handlebar at saddle height, or significantly above or below saddle height. That will influence saddle choice.

If you go for swept or riser bars, be sure there's enough clearance for slow speed turns without knocking against your knees. My only bike that I've switched to a Nitto albatross bar is an older steel Univega with a long-ish top tube, so there's plenty of clearance other than the very slowest maneuvers -- in which case it's mostly the Shimano bar-end shifters that knock against my legs. But in actual riding conditions that's rarely a problem.

Regarding tires, most older road bikes will accept 700x23 and many will handle 700x25 as well. Those are good enough for most city riding. And you can find plenty of suitable tires, including some suitable for modest gravel riding for folks who are comfortable with skinny tires on gravel.

The only tricky bit for some folks is remembering to be more cautious about road hazards such as uneven pavement, ripples, ledges, grates over flood control and utility access, etc. Most of the time when I see someone crash on a group ride, they're inattentive to the demands of riding skinny tires on bad roads. Most folks would do better with a hybrid designed for 700x32 or wider tires. I use 700x20 up to 700x25 tires on my road bikes, but 700x38 and 700x42 on my hybrids. Makes things much more pleasant when I don't need to worry so much about the latest unannounced road crew work stripping the asphalt down to the concrete substrate, leaving a mile or more of teeth-rattling striated concrete.
Old 11-03-19, 05:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've been riding mid depth road wheels in my city for years.