Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

What does a velodrome cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 09:49 PM
woof

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does a velodrome cost?

What would it cost roughly to build a covered, small velodrome? The reason I ask is because I know a guy who is seriously thinking about spending $500,000 on a sports car. I bet he's good for a couple million if he could put his name on something that would make him a hero in our city. Land is cheap here so I'm thinking strictly about the building.

Also, what do you think would be the shortest feasible track that a fit 50yr old could ride on?
Old 11-29-07, 11:54 PM
smitty22

Bikes: Ridley Oval Giant TCX Fuji Roubaix RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bet you thats a start. i'm no businessman but if he wants to throw a few bucks my way let me know. i could use some book money for next semester.
Old 11-30-07, 05:15 AM
oldsprinter
oldsprinter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the materials you use, but a concrete track can be built for less than $500,000. A tarmac track is even cheaper - go for 15 degree banking and you can use a tarmac machine - just like doing a road.

But if you want a wooden track made of the correct Russian hardwood, grandstand etc - https://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1632132007
Old 11-30-07, 07:33 AM
Mike T.
All-round nice guy.

Bikes: Kish road bike, Seven mtb, Marinoni road and track bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woof
What would it cost roughly to build a covered, small velodrome?
The track itself is the cheap part. It's the building that's expensive.

what do you think would be the shortest feasible track that a fit 50yr old could ride on?
That question made me laugh. I ride on arguably the shortest one in the world and it's 138 metres and 50 degrees steep (Forest City Velodrome in London Ontario). I'm a month shy of 60 and guys in their 80's ride there. If you can ride 25kph you can ride this thing. 30kph is much safer. By the way, the shorter the track the more steep it must be.

So I can't answer your question as to what the shortest track that a 50yr old could ride. This one maybe -

Old 11-30-07, 10:48 AM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine that spending $500,000 dollars on a car is very different from spending $500,000 dollars on a velodrome. Unless he has that much cash liquid, I wonder how easy it would be to get loans/make downpayments for the latter.
Old 11-30-07, 05:14 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I saw an interview with Dale Hughes where he said something like "Raise $200K and I can get you a track built". It would be outdoor plywood, but probably quite nice. I'm not sure what an inflatable building costs, but the burnaby people might be able to help with that.

And FWIW, the track Mike T. rides was built for something like $100K canadian, back before it was worth anything.
Old 11-30-07, 07:42 PM
dickodick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
two existing companies:

track and building package, veloplex arena system: https://www.betcycling.com/veloplex/veloplex.htm

v-worldwide: https://www.betcycling.com/veloplex/veloplex.htm

seems to be track only, need separate building.
Old 11-30-07, 09:08 PM
woof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the crazy vanity (or whatever it is) that makes a guy buy a $500k car can be converted into getting us a velodrome. I'm doing OK but far from rich but I know people who could order that velodrome next week if they wanted it.
Old 12-01-07, 09:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoshi
I imagine that spending $500,000 dollars on a car is very different from spending $500,000 dollars on a velodrome. Unless he has that much cash liquid, I wonder how easy it would be to get loans/make downpayments for the latter.
I doubt the folks who buy $500,000 cars worry much about getting loans.
Old 12-04-07, 08:02 PM
lofter
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...2?OpenDocument

crosses fingers and wishes for xmas
Old 12-04-07, 09:47 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lofter
https://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...2?OpenDocument

crosses fingers and wishes for xmas
That's great and everything, but Wentzville is seriously the far side of the moon for most of the riders I know. And it's totally inaccessible if you don't own a car.

Still, anything's better than Penrose.
Old 12-04-07, 09:52 PM
lofter
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just thought i would share it . i seen it reading the dispatch .
Old 12-11-07, 09:35 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Easier to do than a pool. A parent at my daughter's school wanted to donate money to build a swimming pool, but the school declined due to ongoing maintenance costs. I'm sure a velodrome would be much less expensive to maintain. Good luck!
Old 12-22-07, 03:48 AM
Charlesbian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
outdoor velo would be hella easy. depending on the popularity of racing in ur area the guy could make his money back in 5-10 years by holding amatuer races everyweek.

I would say it would be a great place for kids to get started on the sport, but then i realize a bunch of dumbass 14-yr olds trying to be cool would barrell down that thing without a helmet and get themselves killed, probably getting the track shut down.
Old 08-14-14, 11:12 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have seen the portable mini indoor Red Bull tracks. Does anyone know if these mini portable tracks are available for purchase and if the price is in the range of what a healthy bike shop can afford?

I'd also like to know if anyone on BF has ridden a mini track and if so what the experience was like compared to a more conventional size track.
Old 08-15-14, 12:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
1) This is a zombie thread.

2) The mini tracks are a joke. Literally for entertainment only.
Old 08-15-14, 08:05 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no! Shoot it! Shoot it in the head!

I actually know some people building their own 100m track in the dirt right now. Plan is hard packed that you can ride with CX tires. So...the cost of a few weekends worth of beer.
Old 08-15-14, 11:10 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The recently build velodrome in York, UK, cost £1.1 million (US $1.8 million) according to this report Opening of York Velodrome ensures Grand Depart legacy
And this is a fairly simple velodrome. Aerial photo here: New Cycling Velodrome Opens in York in July Where to Stay
Of course building costs might be far different between the UK and the USA; in both business and leisure I have found that costs for comparable items in the UK are generally significantly higher than in the USA.
I visit York every year or so and I plan to ride this track next year.

Also in the UK grass track cycling takes place. It can be just as exciting as hard surface velodrome racing. Here is a typical site: https://www.facebook.com/RichmondGrassTrack . I mention this because it is perhaps the lowest cost to "build" a track racing facility.
Old 08-15-14, 11:54 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel

Also in the UK grass track cycling takes place. It can be just as exciting as hard surface velodrome racing. Here is a typical site: https://www.facebook.com/RichmondGrassTrack . I mention this because it is perhaps the lowest cost to "build" a track racing facility.
That looks pretty fun. I've heard of "grass crits" but never seen any in my area.
Old 08-15-14, 12:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Oh no! Shoot it! Shoot it in the head!

I actually know some people building their own 100m track in the dirt right now. Plan is hard packed that you can ride with CX tires. So...the cost of a few weekends worth of beer.
I am not a track bicycle racer by even the remotest stretch of the imagination, but I've spent an embarrassing amount of time racing R/C cars on small dirt tracks, both offroad and oval. What sort of track you can get and how well it lasts depends greatly on the dirt and the weather.

In Southern CA and Arizona and probably other desert states, they race on adobe tracks and do not water them; these build up a "blue groove" of tire rubber. They form an incredibly reliable surface for traction as long as you stay in the groove, but are like talcum powder everywhere else. Basically they are very fast but unforgiving of mistakes. There are some glue-like products that can be added to the soil when the track is being built to make it harder. The tires we used for these were called "mini pin" and would be chewed up in one race night. The cars could be cleaned off with compressed air. The whole experience favored those who had an excess of both dollars and skill. I hated them.

Most other places, I've raced on tracks made of packed damp soil, which is watered several times each race night. They tend to form ruts and erode and need constant maintenance, but are very forgiving to drive on. Tires last forever but the mud was messy. It was fun.
Old 08-15-14, 10:10 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Man, that grass track is really cool. We could do that in the back yard with a little extra dirt and some grass seed! Any of this going on in the US?
Old 08-16-14, 01:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Man, that grass track is really cool. We could do that in the back yard with a little extra dirt and some grass seed! Any of this going on in the US?
Unfortunately not that I am aware of. I'd like to see it tried, especially being that cyclocross is really big in the us.

I could see it happening.

Old 08-22-14, 01:29 PM
gyrfalcon16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike T.
That question made me laugh. I ride on arguably the shortest one in the world and it's 138 metres and 50 degrees steep (Forest City Velodrome in London Ontario). I'm a month shy of 60 and guys in their 80's ride there. If you can ride 25kph you can ride this thing. 30kph is much safer. By the way, the shorter the track the more steep it must be.

So I can't answer your question as to what the shortest track that a 50yr old could ride. This one maybe -

Pedal pushers need to step it up a bit...

Old 09-15-14, 04:58 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I just found this cost data for the Aigle track in Switzerland
[TABLE="width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]TECHNICAL DATA:
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Track length:
[/TD]
[TD]200 m
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Track width:
[/TD]
[TD]6,65 m
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inclination max:
[/TD]
[TD]~ 47 degrees
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inclination min.
[/TD]
[TD]~ 13 degrees
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Speed max.
[/TD]
[TD]80 km/h
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Construction:
[/TD]
[TD]wood
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Surface:
[/TD]
[TD]wood
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]track construction costs without design fees and taxes:
[/TD]
[TD]~ 400'000 US$
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Source SCHÜRMANN VELODROMES, UCI-CMC Aigle/Switzerland

It is hard to believe that $400,000 covers cost of track, building, land, and other infrastructure.
Old 10-15-14, 04:07 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
IMO, if somebody is going to go through the trouble, spring for a 250m track. It will be much easier to attract state and even national events if you don't have an oddball size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.