Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

rail-to-trail biking trips for adults with kids

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 10:30 AM
adpfishes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 7 year old son and I just finished an overnight ride of the Banks-Vernonia Trail. He rode his BMX bike; I rode my single speed 29" mountain bike. The trail starts in Banks and is pretty flat for a while, passing through small valley farms. We saw lots of rabbits and stopped to eat sour cherries (chokecherries) that were in abundance along the trail. After a few miles the trail began climbing along a ridge and the terrain turned into the thickly forested rugged foothills of the coastal mountains. We camped overnight by a pond in Stub Stewart State Park. The second day was easier as the trail lost elevation for a few miles, then an easy flat ride into Vernonia. The official end is Anderson Park in Vernonia, but the path continued to and around Vernonia Lake, giving us a fun couple extra miles.

Does anyone have recommendations for other 2-3 day rides on rail-to-trails near Portland? We prefer to ride self-supported, camping outside and cooking on my old Svea backpacking stove.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 07-03-10, 02:36 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'm not sure how far from Portland you want to travel, the Row River Rails to Trails path is 2 hours south in Cottage Grove. It offers 16 miles of paved path, then the roads beyond the trail are beautiful with little car traffic, There are a few nice campgrounds to choose from. https://www.americantrails.org/nation...wriver-or.html

Old 07-03-10, 03:52 PM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must have hit Banks V in the dry. I got rained off it. Deluge in Portland.

Ditto on Row River.

Go to the Rails to Trails Conservancy's Traillink website and check out the offerings.

<traillink.com>

There are a lot of trail options, but trailside camping is an issue. Camping in a CG and driving to the trailhead works.

There are quite a few nice rail trails in the Portland area suitable for one day trips. I just added the Dalles Riverfront Trail to the TL database. Scenic. Another option is to camp at Ft. Stevens SP and ride the park trails, the Astoria riverfront trail (has a trolley on the line too), the Warrenton riverfront trail. Aside from that most of the Oregon coast is road riding.

The big time destination trail is the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in N. Idaho - but you will need to use a campground. 74 miles. Five star.

If you come up to Olympia, WA, camp at Millersylvania SP and ride the Chehalis Western and Yelm Tenino and the Woodland Trail.