Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

winter time activities

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

winter time activities

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 04:59 PM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
winter time activities

What are good activities to do in winter time for us who really can not ride in winter, as we get really cold like -20c and lots of snow and ice

Would doing leg workouts like Lunges and squats, leg press at gym be good way for the legs to keep in shape?

as well lots of X country ski and running? are those ok to do in off season?
Old 10-26-11, 08:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have cycled in temperatures down to -40C ... just commutes at those temperatures, but this is the story of my coldest century: https://www.machka.net/brevet/Coldest_Century.htm

So don't tell me you can not ride in winter!

As well as cycling relatively regularly through both Canadian and Australia winters, I also ride my trainer, join spinning classes, cross country ski, snowshoe, lift weights, take yoga classes, and do lots and lots of walking.
Old 10-27-11, 04:04 AM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in Thunder Bay, so ya we get cold winters. Yes i have in the past ridden my bike in the cold. Just never liked how my cables and brakes froze up. And wiping out all over the roads and frozen rivers i used to ride on.
was a challenge for sure

but congrats on doing that Century rides in winter, that is great
Old 10-27-11, 05:27 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike riding. Studded tyres, layered clothing, lights and reflectors - go for it.

Of course winter is good for doing stuff you actually can't do in the summer, so XC skiing ranks high on my list. I've yet to try long distance skating, we only have a few days for that before there's too much snow on the ice.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-27-11, 07:09 AM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've rode regularly thorugh a couple winters. Then I skipped a couple winters just because I felt like it. Now I think I'm going to ride this winter unless I don't feel like it. Sure I'm stronger at some times then I am at others, but I always seem to be plenty strong enough. Call it having a solid base built up if you want to. Riding is enough a part of my life that I never really worry about not being good enough even if I don't get around to riding for a while. I know that eventually I will ride again, and again, and again... Seriously, some of the best cyclist I know are folks that don't make a big deal out of going out to do some riding, but instead have made bikes an integral part of life that hardly bears thinkings about.

Heat, done that, snow, done that, bitter cold, done that, rain, done that. The idea that these things are that big of a deal hardly enters my mind anymore. I know what I need to do if I want to ride on any given day. So if I want to ride I simply do what I need to do. On the other hand I cringe at the idea of having to go ride or do some kind of exercise so that I can be a better rider or maintain some level of fitness. I'm good enough to do the things that I want to do and that is good enough for me.

I guess what I'm getting is not to rule out just taking it easy or riding some of the time when the weather isn't at it's worst. One of the best thing I did was manage to shift bicycling from being something that I have to stay in shape for into something that I do because I want to.

Last edited by biknbrian; 10-27-11 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 07:23 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
snowshoeing/mountain climbing. big fun.

also jogging with Kahtoola micro spikes on your running shoes is fun.

Old 10-27-11, 07:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by worldtraveller
I am in Thunder Bay, so ya we get cold winters. Yes i have in the past ridden my bike in the cold. Just never liked how my cables and brakes froze up. And wiping out all over the roads and frozen rivers i used to ride on.
was a challenge for sure

but congrats on doing that Century rides in winter, that is great
Go to Winnipeg ... when I was there they were pretty good at plowing the roads so cycling through the winter wasn't too difficult.
Old 10-28-11, 12:04 PM
cyclistbrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to mix it up so come spring I'm not burnt out on cycling. In late fall and winter I run, show shoe, and cross country ski. I ride a bit road conditions permitting and while I don't mind the cold, I get tired of the constant maintenance the bike requires from salt and wet. As time goes on I like dealing with that less and less. I mix in some indoor riding starting in January and increasing it in February and March. By March 15 I'm more or less dying to get back outside on the bike and again, weather permitting that becomes my main focus once more. We also have a high end rowing machine (brand escapes me at the moment, the one made in Vermont) that I find oddly compelling to ride given that I despise tread mills, elipitical machines, and such like.

I salute people who can ride day in and day out for recreation and not get tired or bored with it. I keep it going in the fall until my mental attitude tells me to stop or Thanksgiving, which ever comes first. This year I wrapped it up last week. We're already having snow and salted roads this year which is unusual. Two years ago I was banging out half centuries up to Thanksgiving in fifty degree weather.

For me as much as I love the bike and I eat, sleep, and dream bikes, I need a mental break. If I lived in a city or town I'd ride more for utility as a way of staying connected to cycling year round. For sport I need to mix it up and the seasons are a blessing.

Last edited by cyclistbrian; 10-28-11 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-11, 12:06 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

^^ What that person said.

I wouldn't mind having a rowing machine.
Old 10-28-11, 12:32 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a rowing machine, but that is really pretty boring. A trainer w/ a ton of intense workouts will be most of my winter exercise. If I can figure out what x country ski gear to get I may go that route. It's been 30 years since I xc skied and I imagine it'll be pretty expensive like cycling. Also mentioned was snowshoeing which has peaked my curiosity? Who does this regularly, how expensive is it and what are the physical benefits? I figure while snowshoeing, photography is also a great option, kind of a two for one.
Old 10-28-11, 12:38 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

I do lots of snowshoeing/mtn climbing. You'll need a good pair if you're going to climb, with an aggressive crampon like MSRs or the relatively new Tubbs Alp Flex (I have both). they are in the $200 range.

after that purchase, there's lots of options for clothes. You may have suitable clothing already.

you'll want to brush up on your back country survival skills too.
Old 10-28-11, 12:52 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I do lots of snowshoeing/mtn climbing. You'll need a good pair if you're going to climb, with an aggressive crampon like MSRs or the relatively new Tubbs Alp Flex (I have both). they are in the $200 range.

after that purchase, there's lots of options for clothes. You may have suitable clothing already.
What type of boots fit into these best? I assume anything works, but Imagine lightweight, waterproof and warm would be best. I do have a lot of fairly steep ravines along with flat areas. Would the suggested shoes be ok for flat walking as well?

winter cycling content: I still plan on riding outside once in awhile as long as the roads are clear.
Old 10-28-11, 12:57 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

I can fit any boot from a backpacking boot to a full-on double plastic expedition boot in either of those snowshoes.

the type boot I used depends on the elevation I'll be climbing that day.

some mountains require an approach in the snowshoes, and a switch to crampons for the really steep and icy stuff.

and ya, they'd be fine for the flats too.
Old 10-29-11, 11:44 AM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to have to read about this more. I looked at shoes yesterday, but have no idea what I need.