Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any experience with a heat exchange mask?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 08-28-14, 08:09 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A search revealed nothing newer than 2007. Has anyone used a heat exchange mask for riding in colder air? I live in the Washington DC area. I have no plans to ride below the 50's but I do suffer from EIA even in the mid-late spring. I would like to extend my summer riding.

Thanks, Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 08-29-14 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 03:24 PM
cpf_carrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Talus Coldavenger for winter mountaineering and cycling if it is *really* cold out. I find it too warm to wear until the icicles form but afterwards it helps heaps. If you wear glasses it may fog them, although the constant wind of riding does help.
Old 08-29-14, 06:47 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I wear a pretty typical neoprene mask in the winter, and only don the googles when it gets below about -30 degrees C (about -20 F) only because my eyes don't seem to get cold until about that temperature. I have only cycled down to about -35 (probably close to -45 with the wind chill), but even in a strong wind I never felt like I needed a heat exchange mask. Are you sure you need one? Is this a special needs case?
Old 08-29-14, 06:59 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
I wear a pretty typical neoprene mask in the winter, and only don the googles when it gets below about -30 degrees C (about -20 F) only because my eyes don't seem to get cold until about that temperature. I have only cycled down to about -35 (probably close to -45 with the wind chill), but even in a strong wind I never felt like I needed a heat exchange mask. Are you sure you need one? Is this a special needs case?
Wow! I don't love cycling THAT much. I'm not looking for cold weather protection, rather I'm looking for a way to mitigate the effects of cold air/exercise induced asthma. When the temperature gets to the mid 60s my bronchial area gets sore and painful as I begin riding and it takes an hours to go away. I saw a pulmonologist and underwent some extensive testing. They tried me alone and with an albuterol nebulizer. There was improvement, but it really gave me the willies. Not anxiety (I've experienced both) but extreme nervousness. After the test a technician came in to get my blood pressure as a standard procedure prior to seeing the doctor. It was 160 0ver 80! She asked if I had high blood pressure...sheesh! The doctor laughed when he saw the figures. Anyway he prescribed Flutacosone and said the loosening effect would grow with added daily doses. There was a drastic improvement in that I didn't feel the tightness and pain but as the days went by I got more and more agitated. So much for chemistry!

I read about a study done with a mask, albuterol, none, and both. The results indicated that a heat exchange mask had the same approximate effect as albuterol. So I'm looking for some advice here.

Thanks, Rich
Old 08-30-14, 07:38 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ouch - that doesn't sound like fun. Sorry to hear about your condition. I was originally suggesting that you try a plain old neoprene mask first, to see if that would work well enough, but it does indeed sound like you have a much more special need than that. I sure hope you find a solid solution.
Old 08-30-14, 08:11 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use one when it gets below freezing because I have asthma. It works well in the cold temps, but it might be overkill at 50. Have you tried a Buff rag? That might keep things warm enough for you.

BTW, I use the Airguard Medical CT mask.

Last edited by loneviking61; 08-30-14 at 08:15 PM.