Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Parked car payback

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Parked car payback

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 02:10 PM
minder357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parked car payback

I may be a noob, but am I the only one who gets a kick from zinging parked cars with pebbles that just happen to get in the way of my 120+ psi tires? When I ride in the city I nail a parked car probly about every mile or so, and it's really loud and obvious (and obviously entertaining). . . . hehee, ZING!
Old 07-01-05, 02:25 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, but I sure do enjoy using my 2,700 lb sports car to run over people's dinky little 18 lb bicycles. I love to hear the frame pop. ZING! It only has 32 psi tires, but it sure can crush someone's thoracic cavity!

Give me a break, man, don't damage other people's stuff, or take delight at damaging other people's stuff. Grow up.

- Warren
Old 07-01-05, 02:27 PM
Downhill Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what an a$$. I mean unless the car is parked in a bike lane why would you act like a common punk. Revenge on a car (or driver) is one thing, but damaging a park car is just stupid
Old 07-01-05, 02:28 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
I dunno, but I sure do enjoy using my 2,700 lb sports car to run over people's dinky little 18 lb bicycles. I love to hear the frame pop. ZING! It only has 32 psi tires, but it sure can crush someone's thoracic cavity!

Give me a break, man, don't damage other people's stuff, or take delight at damaging other people's stuff. Grow up.

- Warren

Well said.

Stones and pebbles fly off the tires, but why intentionally do it and/or be happy when they hit someone else's property?
Old 07-01-05, 02:36 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait a minute, the OP did not say he did it on purpose. Only that he likes it when it happens. You guys, like most forum members, are way too eager to fill in the gaps with your own assumptions. It seems to me that there are a number of us just waiting to jump down each other's throats (like I am doing right now) . I don't understand why so many of us seem to prefer to flame each other but I am geussing it has to do with the anominity of the internet. In fact, I would bet that had the OP said that to you guys in person, you might have even agreed with him.
Old 07-01-05, 02:36 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole "us-versus-them" mentality is childish at best, and criminal at worst. I typically see more cyclists breaking traffic laws in one day than I see automobile drivers breaking traffic laws in a year, yet soooo many cyclists seem to have personal grievances against anyone in a car, or even anyone who owns a car. There's some kind of rabid cyclist elitism going on these days, where people on bikes see people in cars as subhuman animals worthy of derision and violence. Critical mass riders in San Francisco damaged my car last year just because I happened to be first at the stop light. What was truly ironic is that I had a bike in the back.

At first I thought I was on the cyclists' side, but then I realized I'm just on my own damn side. I own a nice car, and treat cyclists with respect when driving it. I own a nice bike, and treat motorists with respect when riding it. I treat other people, and their property, with respect. I sure wouldn't like some "cager" to swing by and demolish my bike when it's parked, and I sure wouldn't like some punk-ass kid on a bike to damage my car.

- Warren
Old 07-01-05, 02:37 PM
JungleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minder357
I may be a noob, but am I the only one who gets a kick from zinging parked cars with pebbles that just happen to get in the way of my 120+ psi tires? When I ride in the city I nail a parked car probly about every mile or so, and it's really loud and obvious (and obviously entertaining). . . . hehee, ZING!
Hey, ummm... GET A LIFE!
Old 07-01-05, 02:40 PM
ckleps

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a bit confused by your thread's title, I understand the part about the car, and you claim that its parked, its that last word that really confuses me. Perhaps as a result of a childhood trauma, you have a deep seeded hatred of cars, which allows you to stereotype them as out to get you, thus justifying your pre-emptive, "payback" against them.
Old 07-01-05, 02:42 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
In fact, I would bet that had the OP said that to you guys in person, you might have even agreed with him.
Nope. Not a chance.

On purpose or not (and I left both options available in my response), it's a lousy thing to be happy about.
Old 07-01-05, 02:42 PM
mac_lop

Bikes: GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[B]ut am I the only one who gets a kick from zinging parked cars with pebbles that just happen to get in the way of my 120+ psi tires?
It looks that way - I don't know anybody who enjoys partaking in the damaging of other people's property.
Old 07-01-05, 02:51 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On other forums I frequent ... this kind of original post is considered a TROLL ... meaning that the poster just wants to "stir the pot" and get things going by ruffling feathers. Many times, it is best to not respond at all. Sort of the opposite of what I'm doing!
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 07-01-05, 02:54 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really have too many parked cars on my commute, but I do think it is cool when the rocks zing out from under my tires. Most of the times those rocks have hit cars, however, have been when someone is in those cars. In those cases, I am usually not happy about it and am waiting to see if the driver is going to right hook me or something in retaliation. Maybe drivers don't understand that there is nothing I can do about it. On the other hand, one time a car forced me off the road and I hit a rock that then hit his car. I kind of liked it that time!!
Old 07-01-05, 02:55 PM
ckleps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
On other forums I frequent ... this kind of original post is considered a TROLL ... meaning that the poster just wants to "stir the pot" and get things going by ruffling feathers. Many times, it is best to not respond at all. Sort of the opposite of what I'm doing!
normally when I suspect that I just check their other posts to compare, if I see lots of similar comments. I don't reply.
Old 07-01-05, 03:01 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I like hearing noise from a car is when someone throws something at me on a ride and I go up to their car at a stop light and let the air out of their tire.... psssst!

Actually that is quite childish, usually I just mind my own busniess... I would be pissed if someone hit my car with a rock!
Old 07-01-05, 03:05 PM
ckleps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
The only time I like hearing noise from a car is when someone throws something at me on a ride and I go up to their car at a stop light and let the air out of their tire.... psssst!

Actually that is quite childish, usually I just mind my own busniess... I would be pissed if someone hit my car with a rock!
letting air out of their tires, how ameuter! You unclip and slide you cleat on the car as you ride by.

P.S. Check my other posts on this thread if you think for a second I was serious.
Old 07-01-05, 03:18 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the fall I like riding over acorns and popping them across the road, but I try to avoid hitting cars or people. I go for distance and style points.
Old 07-01-05, 03:28 PM
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 07-01-05, 03:45 PM
Monument Man

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hope somebody catches you one day and beats the crap out of you. and i generally dislike car culture, although i hate punks and *******s even more.
Old 07-01-05, 03:50 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
I own a nice car, and treat cyclists with respect when driving it. I own a nice bike, and treat motorists with respect when riding it. I treat other people, and their property, with respect. I sure wouldn't like some "cager" to swing by and demolish my bike when it's parked, and I sure wouldn't like some punk-ass kid on a bike to damage my car.

- Warren
I doubt this could have been better said.
Old 07-01-05, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Wait a minute, the OP did not say he did it on purpose. Only that he likes it when it happens. You guys, like most forum members, are way too eager to fill in the gaps with your own assumptions. It seems to me that there are a number of us just waiting to jump down each other's throats (like I am doing right now) . I don't understand why so many of us seem to prefer to flame each other but I am geussing it has to do with the anominity of the internet. In fact, I would bet that had the OP said that to you guys in person, you might have even agreed with him.

Hey Sawtooth,

Didn't you read his thread, like this part... "that just happen to get in the way of my 120+ psi tires? When I ride in the city I nail a parked car probly about every mile or so" he's a troll or an idiot, take your pick.
Old 07-01-05, 04:24 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it's not like he's riding around with a sling shot. It's totally inadvertant, but I guess his hindsight is somewhat misguided and ignorant.

A moving car could just as well kick up rocks and pebbles and inadvertantly zing parked cars. Happens also on the freeway at 65MPH.
Old 07-01-05, 04:50 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set your sarcasm detector's sensitivty up a little higher, halimec05...

- Warren