Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

things I learned starting out

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 12:25 PM
sjscorpiomark

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are my 10 observations from my first 10 days trying to loose weight, getting back into shape, and starting to ride again after 20 years off a bike:

1> Bike fit is very important, lost 2 days due to pain from badly setup saddle.
2> Be maticulous about tracking calaries in/out. I was doing this on paper and did okay but found the myplate mobile app so I have it with me all the time and noticed I was missing calaries doing it manually from not adding those few chips or beer while visiting a friend or inaccuratly remembering what exactly I ate while out with the fellas.
3> Consistancy is more important than intensity starting out. 2 moderate 15 minute rides to/from the train and having energy to do a solid workout on the trainer in the evening burns more calaries than pushing really hard on the commute and doing 2 11 minute rides and being too sore/tired to do the trainer workout later. once the base is built then can work on intensity.
4> HR monitors are a god send. no more stopping and counting pulse I can ride at a particular HR zone and see it creeping up and slow down a little or speed up if it drops too much without interupting the workout or ride.
5> The internet is full of advice, some good some bad. But this forum seems to be full of genuinly helpful folks who know what I am going through and provided encouragement and good advice.
6> Cycle computer while a luxury have their place especially with a rear wheel sensor(s) so if you work out on a trainer you can still track milage/speed. I just upgraded to a Garmin 800 and love it, though it is not priced for everyone at $650 I wanted the mapping GPS with HR and rear wheel cadence/speed sensors for trainer sessions. and it works perfectly so far.
7> there is a place for indoor trainers even during nice weather. if you are busy, single parent etc... You can hop on and ride and watch TV while making dinner, doing laundry etc.. instead of lounging on the couch. it's amazing how the cals add up from even light spinning over time.
8> Cals in < cals out = weight loss regardless of those cals coming from fat, carbs, proteins.
9> Getting support from family, friends, forums helps with the motivation.
10> You can do it!

I lost 5 pounds in 10 days I feel better, I have more energy, sleeping better and seeing noticible changes in my cardio strength.
Old 05-20-12, 02:27 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Good luck and keep it going.
Old 05-20-12, 03:05 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
The only thing I would add is that the weight tends to come FLYING off in the first two weeks, and then really slows down. Your weight will go up at some point, you'll hit plateaus, you'll feel discouraged - just grin and bear it and stay the course.

Good luck and happy riding!
Old 05-20-12, 03:13 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The only thing I would add is that the weight tends to come FLYING off in the first two weeks, and then really slows down. Your weight will go up at some point, you'll hit plateaus, you'll feel discouraged - just grin and bear it and stay the course.

Good luck and happy riding!
I would like to second this. 5 pounds in 10 days sounds like it's most likely water weight, now that your body is sweating more, you will retain less water due to lower sodium in your blood. Do not be discouraged by this however, your points are sound and your journey is off to a great start. Keep it up!
Old 05-20-12, 03:21 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love it..
Old 05-20-12, 03:51 PM
Massive Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Execellent advice for me.

I am 42 and have done a little exercise now and then but nothing over any significant period of time. Now I am a little more settled (having recently bought my house) comfortable in my job and actually looking at some new opportunities, I realise I need to put some priority on my health. I cannot carry around my large gut for much longer until it contributes to serious health problems. I have a road bike and need to get properly fitted. I rode for a year long ago and got back aches and want to forego that problem now.

My stamina is also crap and I need to keep reminding myself not to push myself too hard too fast. I notice my new neighbors walking on the weekend and will join them. There are quite a few steep hills near by which should help me build up capacity.

Thanks for the advice and I will pop in now and then and update everyone and more importantly get motivation
Old 05-20-12, 04:02 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Number two is, I think, the most important thing, period! I can ride and ride and ride (like 200 miles a week) and GAIN weight if I do not watch what I eat and track and eat responsibly.

number 1 is key too or you will NOT like riding. I think this is the case for the majority of people really.

I also think and HRM is important. As I am learning, if you stay below your red line number, you can ride and ride and ride. It is a neat thing!

number 9 and 10... heck yes. Where is the like button????

Number 8 is not always that easy. Even if you exercise more then what you eat, it does not mean you will lose weight. Not always that easy.

You are on the right track my friend. Keep up the great work.
Old 05-21-12, 05:00 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
if you stay below your red line number, you can ride and ride and ride. It is a neat thing!
what is the "red line" number?
Old 05-21-12, 05:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Lenkearney
The effort level below which you feel like you can ride forever. If you want to put it in more concrete terms, keeping your HR in zone 2 or thereabouts.
Old 05-21-12, 06:57 PM
CBuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark,

What part of San Jose are you in?
I'm in west San Jose, near Cupertino, but ride all over the area.

I am always looking for riding buddies.

buffumchuck@yahoo.com
Old 05-21-12, 07:30 PM
sjscorpiomark

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The effort level below which you feel like you can ride forever. If you want to put it in more concrete terms, keeping your HR in zone 2 or thereabouts.
yes zone 2 is basically between 60 and 70-75% (depending on the source) of your maximum heart rate.

CBuff I am in the east side of willow glen. I will email you and may take you up on a ride now and then.
Old 05-22-12, 06:46 AM
Brando_T.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The indoor trainer can be your friend - enabling you to target precisely what weakness you want to improve (with the exception of overall endurance, unless you're willing to put in 2.5 hours plus on the trainer).

I totally agree with you - when I'm home alone with the kids, I'll be on the trainer, and we'll all watch some TV.
Old 05-22-12, 09:36 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenkearney
It could also be your max heart rate where things start going screwy. I have mine set at 200, above 200 I start getting stars and spots and between 205 and 210 I get tunnel vision. That wasn't fun a fun ride, I went and got a bike computer with heart rate after that. I didn't want to be that guy on the side of the road that Beanz and his group came across...

Oh, I've found I do better in zone 3, 150-170 bpm.
Old 05-22-12, 09:49 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

This is what my HR looked like on yesterday's ride:

My legs were fried and felt mostly dead - I actually cut my ride short (although I didn't skip the nasty hill, which is where the zone 4 HR info came from) usually I spend most of my time in "tempo" with a fair percentage in threshold when I'm really pushing it. On a good day I'll spend more like 60-70% in zone 3 or higher because my legs can take it.

Zone 1 is usually waiting at a stop light or when I'm warming up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HR1.jpg (49.8 KB, 8 views)