Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

best handlebar tape for gloveless riding?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 05:47 PM
gabkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Bontrager tape that came oe. on my Madone is pretty good. I was going to go w/ Lizard Skin,and still would if I was planning to wear gloves. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-14-12, 07:41 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Why ride gloveless?
Old 06-14-12, 11:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Yeah, wear gloves, unless you like road gravel embedded in your palms if you should crash. Nobody plans on crashing but...
Old 06-15-12, 04:59 AM
LAE
Arsenal FC

Bikes: Cube Peloton, Cube MTB 29r

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he wants to ride gloveless that's up to him, tbh sometimes I prefer it. Let's my hands breathe so to speak and keeps em cool in very hot weather.

You can get some gel understrips for the bar and some nice soft cork tape should be comfortable.
Old 06-15-12, 05:26 AM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even the pros still just take a piece of plastic garden hose, and use that for extra padding. Old fashioned, maybe. But nothing is as cheap. And you can use any tape you fancy as a top layer on that.
Old 06-15-12, 09:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cork tape. Even synthetic cork is nice. If that's not enough, get gel inserts and put them between the bars and the tape. If that's still not comfortable, you need to get your bike fit, because that would mean too much of your weight is on your hands, you're too far forward.

Originally Posted by Myosmith
Why ride gloveless?
Because your hands aren't cold...!
Old 06-15-12, 10:38 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, I was at my LBS a few days back, and I noticed one of the owners had incredibly tan arms, but his hands and shoulders were severely white. Incredibly sharp lines at his wrist and just above his elbow. He told me that he had been on out for several long rides over the past (very sunny) week, and everybody had been teasing him about his "farmer's tan".

Sorry this is off-topic, talking about gloves made me think of it.
Old 06-15-12, 10:38 AM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gabkr
The Bontrager tape that came oe. on my Madone is pretty good. I was going to go w/ Lizard Skin,and still would if I was planning to wear gloves. Any suggestions appreciated.
https://www.bontrager.com/model/00075/

Bontrager Gel Cork provides a nice surface for just bare hands.

Nothing wrong with the other makes of Gel Cork that I know of?

Cinelli, for example.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...-254.27.1.html
Old 06-15-12, 10:57 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfwerx
Haha, I was at my LBS a few days back, and I noticed one of the owners had incredibly tan arms, but his hands and shoulders were severely white. Incredibly sharp lines at his wrist and just above his elbow. He told me that he had been on out for several long rides over the past (very sunny) week, and everybody had been teasing him about his "farmer's tan".
He is wise in the ways of cycling.

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#7
Old 06-15-12, 11:25 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
He is wise in the ways of cycling.

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#7

Hehe, that is a great read, thanks!
Old 06-16-12, 01:02 AM
Mondo734

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Crux gel wrap
is what my bike has on it and I ride without gloves. Personally I think it is great.
Old 06-16-12, 02:47 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
fizik dual. its two strips of tape sewed together down the middle offset %50. nice and cushy. Its your choice not to wear gloves but as horse said if you crash your palms will be a bloody mess, let me guess no helmet either?
Attached Images
Old 06-16-12, 03:19 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
fizik dual. its two strips of tape sewed together down the middle offset %50. nice and cushy. Its your choice not to wear gloves but as horse said if you crash your palms will be a bloody mess, let me guess no helmet either?
+1

I bought this stuff as an off the cuff extra with an online order. To say I'm a convert is an understatement. This stuff is awesome!
Old 06-16-12, 05:56 AM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfwerx

Sorry this is off-topic, talking about gloves made me think of it.
Glad I am not the only one!
I have the tanned arm/white hand thing going too. Texas will do that to you every time. But I wear a tank top so I don't have the farmer tan. Can't do that.
Old 06-16-12, 07:54 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always rode with gloves, but after not being able to find them the first time I rode this year - I haven't used 'em. Just Cinelli Gel tape and I'm good! Ironically my hands get less numb and issue-prone with just the gel tape than they did before.

Now if I could just learn how to wrap the stuff so it doesn't bunch up, but that's a different story..
Old 06-16-12, 08:15 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Two best I've tried to date for gloves free are the Lizard Skins and F.U.B.A.R. Dot Matrix - which is a much cheaper. The Lizard Skins has the slightest tacky, grippy, wet feel, and FUBAR doesn't...if feels completely dry. Both do a good job or shock absorption and feel great on bare skin.

And, yes..no helmet, no chamois, no spandex and no whining. Gloves are for cold weather.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 06-16-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 08:38 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, that'd be Fizik MicroTex. But I sweat way too much to ride gloveless very far.
Old 06-16-12, 01:42 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I like just your stock Cork Gel tape for max comfort.. If you want to maintain great feel - take a look at Brooks leather tape.
Old 06-16-12, 05:41 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Two best I've tried to date for gloves free are the Lizard Skins and F.U.B.A.R. Dot Matrix - which is a much cheaper. The Lizard Skins has the slightest tacky, grippy, wet feel, and FUBAR doesn't...if feels completely dry. Both do a good job or shock absorption and feel great on bare skin.

And, yes..no helmet, no chamois, no spandex and no whining. Gloves are for cold weather.
And, I guess helmets are just for people who have something worth protecting.
Old 06-19-12, 02:51 PM
chevychic55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have gloves that seemed to fit in the store but hurt when I ride. The gloves seem to stretch the "webbing" between my fingers. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 06-19-12, 04:53 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Why ride gloveless?
Why ride with gloves? They're hot, they're uncomfortable, they're another thing to keep track of, and if you need gloves to make resting on the bars comfortable, there's something wrong with the way you hold the bars, or the fit of the bike.

I'm a big fan of sythetic cork tape. Coated in shellac, it lasts a long time, and survives weather well.
Old 06-19-12, 05:44 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Why ride with gloves? They're hot, they're uncomfortable, they're another thing to keep track of, and if you need gloves to make resting on the bars comfortable, there's something wrong with the way you hold the bars, or the fit of the bike.

I'm a big fan of sythetic cork tape. Coated in shellac, it lasts a long time, and survives weather well.
Fall off your bike and end up wih road rash on your hands and you'll know why it's a good idea in a hurry. Road rash on your hands is he worste place to get road rash. Really, it's not a life or death thing, it's just a pain thing. If you don't ever crash or you don't care it's no skin off my hands. If we were out on a ride I certainly wouldn't give it a second thought

Definitely agree that gloves are no subsitute for proper fit!
Old 06-19-12, 07:55 PM
gabkr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on the tape......you guys that worry about gloves in a wreck-don't forget your knee pads ,elbow pads,and mouthguard....and I do always wear a helmet
Old 06-19-12, 08:17 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gabkr
Thanks for the suggestions on the tape......you guys that worry about gloves in a wreck-don't forget your knee pads ,elbow pads,and mouthguard....and I do always wear a helmet
Gloves are not in the same league as your helmet. If someone doesn't want to wear gloves I have no problem with them doing so. Having said that I still have to add that I've had roadrash just about all over including the palms of my hands I can pretty safely say there is no worse place to get road rash. I would feel remiss if I didn't share my experiences. Choose to use it as you will with no judgement from me.
Old 06-19-12, 10:50 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Fall off your bike and end up wih road rash on your hands and you'll know why it's a good idea in a hurry. Road rash on your hands is he worste place to get road rash. Really, it's not a life or death thing, it's just a pain thing. If you don't ever crash or you don't care it's no skin off my hands. If we were out on a ride I certainly wouldn't give it a second thought

Definitely agree that gloves are no subsitute for proper fit!
You know, I've crashed enough bicycles in enough clever ways that I'd thought I'd done as much damage as I could without having crippling injuries. But I've never had road rash on my hands. Maybe the backs of them, at the wrist, but never the palms. And I've mostly given up doing that sort of thing. (Though I had a crash on a city street last fall, from a utility ditch that I didn't see at 25 in the dark, that made me very glad I had lots of practice falling down. Still hurt for two months, though.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.