Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What road tire to choose for low resistance?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 06:54 PM
ohiogsp

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Guru Flite, Santa Cruz Superlight, Origin 8 Crawler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

700c 23? high psi tire? I weight 320lbs. I am riding a trek 1000sl and am thinking high pressure 23 tire maybe with kevlar flat resistance but I want it to fast and roll a long way. lol I just dont know what pressure and type tire is better for a heavy person?
Old 10-16-12, 08:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
More air volume is beneficial for a heavy person so you don't get pinch flats. I've found that the rolling resistance of a flat tire is awful compared to an inflated tire.

Supposedly 25mm tires at a lower pressure roll better (less resistance as well as more comfort) than a 23mm tire at higher pressure.

I don't really pay much attention to it to be honest.
Old 10-16-12, 08:48 PM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23mm will be too harsh a ride for your current weight. 25mm better. I'd go 28mm if having enough frame clearance. Plusher ride, lower pressure and the rolling resistance difference shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 10-16-12, 09:32 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Conti 4 seasons 700 X 28 at 90 PSI and I weigh 265lbs. Very comfortable ride.
Old 10-16-12, 09:38 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to agree, I would go 25
Old 10-16-12, 10:00 PM
mike6024

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as rolling resistance, the psi is more important than width size I think. 28c at 90 psi about the same rolling resistance as a 23c at 90 psi.

Rolling resistance increases rapidly as you drop the pressure.

If the roads are rough that is a separate problem. Benefits of high pressure assume riding on smooth asphalt.
Old 10-16-12, 10:15 PM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike6024
As far as rolling resistance, the psi is more important than width size I think. 28c at 90 psi about the same rolling resistance as a 23c at 90 psi.
That's not true. At the same 90 psi, given the same tire construction, the wider tire will have lower rolling resistance because it will suffer from lower hysteresis losses.

See here and here.

Unfortunately, most wider tires tend to have lower cost construction and/or flat protection, both of which are detrimental to optimal rolling resistance because they are intended for "sporty" use (i.e., hybrids). However, there are high-end wide tires such as the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix (nominal 29mm) and the new Challenge Eroica (rumored to be 32mm), both of which are made of the "open tubular" construction type with thin low-loss sidewalls. These offer better rolling resistance at the same pressure or (better yet) same rolling resistance at lower, more comfortable pressures.
Old 10-16-12, 11:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
At your weight, you would have to run 23MM tires hard as a rock to avoid pinch flats. You may find the "road buzz" on rough textured pavement to be numbing.
Also, a little bit of tire "squish" helps absorb impacts better and helps the rims' survivability.

I only weigh a mere 230ish and have pretty much settled on 25-26MM tires.
I like skinny & fast too. There's just a point of where you have to use a bit of common sense to make your ride bearable.
Old 10-16-12, 11:58 PM
moochems 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Op I have some experience riding at your weight, on tires you may consider, also on two different bikes, one Artie roadie and the other a 29er hybrid.

I road Michelin dynamic in size 700x23 and found the ride a little harsh, but fast and easy to accelerate. Traction was fine for me in good conditions, and I was sketchy on wet dirty Pavement, but I'm always hesitant on wet dirty asphalt. Important point about this tire was it's inability to handle rough roads. I don't mean gravel or dirt (smooth dirt might be good) but even bumpy asphalt. These tires are a bad choice if you aren't on smooth road. Maybe that's a no brainer.

Also I got flats so frequently that I put thorn resistant tubes in them. That strategy did slow down the ride,
But elimated flats.

What I currently use are brontager satellite sl in size 700x30. I really like these tires. They aren't the fastest, but make up for it with a thick carcass that has prevented any flats, and I suspect will Provide a long life. On wet roads they are good, the tread is in just the right place to allow water away from the contact patch but provide a smooth surface to roll over the road. It was easier to pedal smaller lighter michelins above, but the satellite sl is much more comfortable, longer lasting, and flat far less.

I ran the Michelin dynamic at the max stated pressure on the side wall. 115 psi if memory serves me correctly.

I run the brontager at 107 psi which is 7 psi more than the sidewall "suggests". I figure I lose a little bit of air when I disconnect my floor pump.

Hope that helped.
Old 10-17-12, 12:07 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you weigh?

Having posted this in the Clyde forum I'm going to assume in excess of 200lb. In which case, 25mm or 28mm.

Are you after a "fast training" tire? Or, a "Competition" tire?
Old 10-17-12, 12:44 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry. Just saw that you listed your weight at 320lbs.

I wouldn't consider 23's at that weight. Or, "competition" tires of any size.

My recommendation would be 25's or preferably 28's if they'll fit.

I'm currently running some Michelin Pro Optimums that are listed as 25, but measure at 26.5-27mm. They seem reasonably quick and I can't fault their grip so far. Time will tell how they fair on the puncture front, I only have a few hundred km on them. In fact, their grip is a good bit better than the tires they replaced. Previously I had Vittoria Rubino Pro's on the bike. They were 25's and run true to size. I didn't like those at all. They had pure grip, didn't seem to offer as much puncture protection as others and didn't seem to be particularly fast. Those replaced a pair of Maxxix Re-fuse 25s. I liked the Re-fuses. I only suffered one puncture in their lifespan and that was cycling through a construction site. They offered excellent grip. Their only negatives would be that they don't offer awesome longevity and aren't particularly fast. Prior to that I had some Michelin Axioms that I like quite a bit(now discontinued). I would also consider Continental 4 Seasons in 25 or 28.
Old 10-17-12, 06:44 AM
melvinator

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I only weigh a mere 230ish and have pretty much settled on 25-26MM tires.
I am going to have to agree with this statement. I started with 32MM tires and went down to a 28MM and then down to a 25MM and to a 23MM

The 32MM CST PRO's ride like a dream very comfortable ride but heavy. But i have also ran through streets full of glass and they just dont puncture through. (I run them at 90PSI as instruced on tire- have ran 300 miles on these tires)

The 28MM CST PRO's have the best rolling resistance for a larger tire and still give you a comfortable ride. Also have 600 miles on them so far with no puncutres. Very light tires for what they are! (Run them at 100PSI as instruced on tire- have ran 600 miles on these tires)

the 25MM vittoria rubino pro is the lowest i wold go. Good tire, sketchy when wet though. Has some marks on them from road debris but nothing major but very light. soaks up some of the "road buzz" and doesnt destroy your rims. (I run them at 120PSI as instruced on tire- have ran 200 miles on these tires)

23MM Michellin Dynamic Pro are extremely light i feel as no roll ressistance at all, extremely scary wet or dry and i feel every freaking bump on the road. i ran over a ant pile and felt every single ant i slaughtered (to give some perspective) also had to get my rims trued after a 30 mile ride, lots of cuts from road debris.(I run them at 130PSI as instruced on tire- have ran 50 miles on these tires)

That is my personal experience in the last 3 months. hopefully that saves you money times and headaches. I currently run the 28MM CST PRO's on my hybrid and the 25MM vittoria rubino pro's on my road bike. I am 6'2 and weight 270 from 280. hope all this helps!

Last edited by melvinator; 10-17-12 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 10:26 AM
ohiogsp

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Guru Flite, Santa Cruz Superlight, Origin 8 Crawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to the LBS and see what they might have from your suggestions. The wider tire does make sence now that I think about it. The tires I have now have a 1/2 insh flat across the bottom so it is time. lol
Old 10-17-12, 10:02 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't get worked up over low resistance and those things, at your weight it isn't a measurable factor.

Look for a good all round tire for the type of riding you are doing and go from there.
Old 10-18-12, 03:43 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
If you're just recreational riding, then honestly you shouldn't care that much about the width. The comfort of the ride will mean more. When you try it you will know what I and other posters mean. I race and have been racing since I was 140kg-ish (308lb) on 23mm conti 4000 tyres. I have a set of conti 4000s tyres on some wheels now and some 25mm conti 4000 on A23 rims as well. To be honest, there is very little difference between the tyres as far as rolling resistance goes. The 23mm tyres are on older Mavic CXP30 rims while as mentioned the 25s are on A23 rims. The only difference in rolling/speed I have noticed is when rolling on a long downhill, but I think the difference is the benefit of the slightly higher profile CXP rims, not the tyres. I ride fast paced group rides on my 25mm tyres and can certainly keep up with everyone else on 23mm tyres.