Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hit by a car, high speed crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hit by a car, high speed crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 06:56 PM
minder357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike756 - did you talk to any good tort lawyers (and/or the DA's office) today?? if your story is factually correct, the guy should go away for assault w/ a deadly weapon and with broken bones and all, you should sue him for 10-15k easy. . . pain and suffering, hello! but dont post anything about your injuries or a potential civil suit here. . .
Old 09-13-05, 06:56 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
hopefully that figure 8 forces your collar bone down onto the other half of it. Let that bone heal, don't exercise until the doc gives you the okay!

get well soon, good luck
Old 09-13-05, 07:04 PM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minder357
bike756 - did you talk to any good tort lawyers (and/or the DA's office) today?? if your story is factually correct, the guy should go away for assault w/ a deadly weapon and with broken bones and all, you should sue him for 10-15k easy. . . pain and suffering, hello! but dont post anything about your injuries or a potential civil suit here. . .
I haven't called a lawyer yet, I am still waiting for the police report to be finished, but I will call after school tomorrow regardless. By the way, can a 16 year old sue someone? I've never heard of it happening.
Old 09-13-05, 07:06 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hmm, digging through OH's codes - TITLE XLV MOTOR VEHICLES - AERONAUTICS - WATERCRAFT:

§ 4511.28. Permission to overtake and pass on the right.

(A) The driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle or trackless trolley only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle or trackless trolley overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

(B) The driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley may overtake and pass another vehicle or trackless trolley only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. The movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

HISTORY: GC § 6307-28; 119 v 766(778), § 28; Bureau of Code Revision, 10-1-53; 135 v H 995. Eff 1-1-75; 149 v S 123, § 1, eff. 1-1-04.
Ohio's code is very similar to California's. Section-4511.28(2) clearly state that when two or more lanes are going in the same direciton, you can overtake and pass on the right. If anyone in OH has ever gotten a ticket for passing on the right, post a scan and I'll gladly pay it for you.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 09-13-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 07:08 PM
minder357

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike756
can a 16 year old sue someone?
You can't even enter into a contract with a lawyer, buddy. Talk to your parents. . ..
Old 09-13-05, 07:12 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minder357
You can't even enter into a contract with a lawyer, buddy. Talk to your parents. . ..
Thats true but as for assult etc chrges he can press those. Once he does press charges the da's office will likly pick them up and its then out of his hands and he cant even drop the charges. Then it will be up to his parrents to press civil charges. Unless of course he turns 17 or even 18 prior to the criminal action completing in wich case its up to him to press for civil action.
Old 09-13-05, 07:18 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike756
Sunninho,

It wasn't an official bike lane but there was a nice wide shoulder to the right of the line. If anyone has google earth and a lot of free time, I was hit at

40 51' 37.83" N

81 28' 51.90"W.

The shoulder is hard to see, but there was plenty of room to pass. I chased him almost to the next right turn down the hill. You can see the police/fire/ems station just down the road at the intersection. Does anyone still not believe me?
In ohio any shoulder (paved) over 4 foot wide is considered to be a bike lane as long as there is a solid white line. Now unless marked with a bike i con or posted bike lane no motor vehicals cars can drive on it for 200 feet to the nearest drive way or right hand turn. Also it must be safe to do so. In other words no bikes on the bike lane/wide shoulder with white line. In other words this guy is in the wrong no matter what. Easy to tell if it meets the 4 foot requirement is it at least twice the width of your handle bars ? If so then its a bike lane
Old 09-13-05, 07:36 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, the driver's gonna be guilty of a number of violations. But I have a hard time thinking that he intentionally swerved out to hit a biker. How are you gonna prove that?
Old 09-13-05, 07:46 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Yeah, the driver's gonna be guilty of a number of violations. But I have a hard time thinking that he intentionally swerved out to hit a biker. How are you gonna prove that?
Well the way op describes it it was less of a swerve and hit as a swerve and make him hit his car.
Full lane of trafic guy swerves over in to path and he couldnt pass cause 4 feet is to little to allow you to pass a car. No other obvious reason for the drive to swerve over but to cause the rider to colide with him.

So all he needs to prove is that there was insuficiant room for the driver to pass other cars so one wittness says nope was not enough room to allow the car to pass other cars.
Old 09-14-05, 01:25 AM
Starclimber
Blue Straggler

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Perhaps he has priors....shudder. I was told by an ICBC agent of a trucker who would 'nudge' cyclists off the road because he didn't think they belonged there. The accumulated body of evidence became overwhelming, and he was arrested. This example is one reason why I have no difficulty believing the OP's story.
Old 09-14-05, 05:43 PM
AtlAllez

Bikes: Specalized Allez Elite and Vintage Vitus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How'd it turn out , did you talk to a lawyer?
Old 09-14-05, 06:04 PM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AtlAllez
How'd it turn out , did you talk to a lawyer?
I called a lawyer today and they said they would take my case. Once my parents get home I will call back and schedule a meeting with the lawyer.

You wouldn't beleive the rumors going around my school. Half of the people I talked to thought I was hit by either truck a bus or a cement truck.

My entire right.....breast area(shoulder to nipple) has turned yellow, and a bruise has developed on my shoulder.

I can still feel bones shifting around so I don't think it's healing very well.
Old 09-14-05, 06:10 PM
AtlAllez

Bikes: Specalized Allez Elite and Vintage Vitus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take tons of pictures of yourself with the injury !!! chances are that you wont look half as bad if the issues goes to court
Old 09-15-05, 12:19 AM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i really hope that you feel better and heal well soon. good luck with all the legal mumbo-jumbo that you have to go through now.

also, after reading all the posts, i have one question....how the hell do you "severely think"?

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Part of me severely thinks...
Old 09-15-05, 12:47 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by syda
^^ Great advice. Highly suggest everyone follows the above, even for those vehicular "speeding/traffic infractions" so many of us get.
I disagree. Thes notes can only be used against you by the other side. If you right down something like " I was coming down a hill at about 40 mph and the traffic near the bottom of the hill was slowing for a light. I came up to the cars at about 35 mph intending to pass on the right" it isn't going to help. You want to have to tell your story only once. The more times you tell it or write it down, the more chances there are for inconsistancies.
Old 09-15-05, 01:48 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I disagree. Thes notes can only be used against you by the other side. If you right down something like " I was coming down a hill at about 40 mph and the traffic near the bottom of the hill was slowing for a light. I came up to the cars at about 35 mph intending to pass on the right" it isn't going to help. You want to have to tell your story only once. The more times you tell it or write it down, the more chances there are for inconsistancies.
Nope, contrary to your point. It's a matter of consistency. The lawyers and insurance company will ask for your side of the story anyway. If you are truly in the clear and have no reason to embellish or change your story, these notes will back up what's on the police report.

I was in an accident where the other party gave three different versions to the cop, the insurance and the lawyer. My notes, which were submitted to both the insurance company and lawyer, correlated exactly with the police report. Writing down notes immediately after an accident is the important thing, reason why you date and sign in ink. If your notes match with the police report (containing your initial statements), there can't be any dispute.
Old 09-15-05, 05:37 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You just have to make sure you get your story straight before talking to anyone...
Old 09-16-05, 12:11 AM
Starclimber
Blue Straggler

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and if you have phone numbers of witnesses, make sure THEIR stories are straight too. They tend to veer over time.