Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How nice is your 'Beater' bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How nice is your second/spare bike
As nice as my main ride, I'd ride it any time
10.10%
Good bike, but a step down from my first
51.52%
A true 'Beater' for the bad weather only
20.20%
What second bike?
18.18%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 09:18 AM
fore0121
Riding, always Riding

Bikes: Cervelo r3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking/planning/preparing a second bike for the rain/trainer/etc. for a few weeks now to limit 'my baby's' exposure to bad weather and undue stress. I have a 105 9sp component group that is going to be migrated from my old bike (which is the wrong size) to a new frame. Originally this was supposed to be just a 'beater' bike, but as with anything I do I get to over-analyzing and start to buy based on 'want' and not 'need'. I'm about to over buy for this frame, but then I figure if I'm going to buy a second bike it still should be a great ride. It should be something I still want to ride, not just thrown together out of necessity.

So what's your second ride like?

f
Old 09-30-05, 09:23 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's a 95 Trek 2100.....while not really a "bad" bike, I like my 5200 significantly better. The drivetrain kinda sucks on the 2100.....
Old 09-30-05, 09:29 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
03 Marin Mill Valley. Flat bar roadie with fenders and panniers. Shimano drivetrain using the R440 flat bar shifters, Tiagra RD, Ultegra 6500 triple crank and BB, Avid Shorty 4 brakes and 105/Salsa DelgadoX wheels.

Got it for $468 shipped off of ebay and have been upgrading (wheels, cranks, fenders and rack) so that it is a useful daily beater.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 09-30-05 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 09:33 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$60 frame, Mirage, mismatched wheels, ebay bits. I heard a clubmate the other day say 'I wouldn't spend more than (equivalent) $1800' on a winter bike.

I nearly fell off! Beaters/winter bikes are supposed to last about 2 years before they wear out/fall to bits!

Spend the money you saved on upgrading your nice bike!
Old 09-30-05, 09:34 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "beater" is an 80's Centurion with mostly 105, 7-speed, 53/42 chainrings, indexed downtube shifters. I like it a lot and it's been maintained well. I'll ride it anywhere, anytime.

I have an old Schwinn converted to fixed, but it's pretty dodgy.

It doesn't make sense to have two bikes that are pretty much the same.
Old 09-30-05, 09:39 AM
clfjmpr44

Bikes: 2000-Canary Yellow Trek 1000, 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, Funny question, I have been embroiled in the process of trying to find a "beater bike."
My first thought process was just to go out and find a 1970-something for $100. The idea behind that is I could ride it in the worst weather and lock it up anywhere without a care in the world. That plan lasted a couple of weeks before I figured out that I probably wouldn't be happy riding a true "beater" bike, shifting problems and all, because it would be such a large step below my main ride.
Now the thought process is towards a mid-level cyclocross bike, which I would buy used and ride in foul weather, but it could also be used on trails such as the C&O Canal in DC, thus creating more utility and giving me the "big three" bikes, MTB, Cyclo and roadie.
Of course this takes out the "be able to lock it up anywhere without a care" plan. I was looking at picking up a Salsa la cruces (like the one another forum member has), but it is a bit pricey for me now. The perfect scenario would be to have a lightly used, couple year old Kona Jake the Snake or Jake, or Surly cross-check pop up for around $500, but alas I am still looking.
A
Old 09-30-05, 09:40 AM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 80s Motebecane, converted to fixed gear. The top tub is crazy short, but I use it to get around town and throw it on the trainer once in awhile. I'm thinking of getting a low-end cyclocross bike, which could double as cross-racer and road-beater.
Old 09-30-05, 09:41 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
An $1800 beater?

Probably owned by some guy who says the economy is in the tank.
Old 09-30-05, 09:43 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does a 1980-something Giant Boulder that you lent to a friend who left it outside for a year and a half and whose only upgrade is new tires count as a beater? Amazingly, it still rides pretty well.
Old 09-30-05, 11:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
1989 Paramount OS with a 9 speed D/A group (moved off the Merlin when it got upgraded to 10sp) The Paramount has a brand new paint job (thanks to Waterford) Problem is it's too nice to ride as a beater. So now I need a true beater, but how do I convince the wife that we do need to add a 10th bike to the garage?
Old 09-30-05, 11:07 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd options. It's a true beater, but I commute on it everywhere, in all types of weather.

It's a 70s or 80s Takara steel frame with 27'' tires. It was some kind of ugly blue-green color, so I sanded it down and spray painted it black. My spray paint job wasn't perfect, but better than expected. The only problem is that it chips super easily (I put a couple coats of clear coat on it, but it still chips), so I have random gray spots on there.

It could use a new chain and I can't get the RD to work on more than 3 gears, but I only use 2 anyway. It had a plastic saddle on there, but that thing broke and I got a cheap one at Nashbar that actually doesn't look too bad.

I ride this POS 12-24 miles a day. It makes me appreciate my good bike (which isn't all that special, really).
Old 09-30-05, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My second bike is an REI Novara Triumpho with a mix of Ultegra 9 and RSX parts. It's a fine bike that's fast enough for a hard group ride and solid enough to commute on everyday. I upgraded the wheelset from the original Mavic CPX-22/RSX hubs to Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. Nothing fancy but not a beater by any stretch.

I do have a true beater, an 80s-era GT mtb, for pulling the kids' trailer, errands, and foul-weather commuting.
Old 09-30-05, 11:49 AM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I put 'true beater, only for bad weather', but that's not exactly correct. My only other bike is a schwinn ranger (xmart mtb). I really use that if I'm going to be on anything besides roads/trails or if I'm going somewhere I'll need to lock the bike up.
Old 09-30-05, 11:55 AM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- the Specialized hybrid in sig ($100 pawn shop special)... still don't know what year it is, but according to one Specialized shop, the 6spd gearing/frame is late 80s...

- bought for running errands, food shopping, street riding (road bikes are for local MUPs)...
Old 09-30-05, 11:57 AM
zhmontana
maillot jaune

Bikes: '04 Trek 5200, '02 Cannondale Jekyl 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'03 or '04 Trek 1500, not great components but upgraded to ultegra deraileurs, everything else is 105 or bontrager components. The wheels are race lites. Over all a great 2nd bike. Of course my madone 5.9 sees most of the action.
Old 09-30-05, 01:20 PM
inkdwheels
Crack kills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A beater should be any older steel bike capable of at least 32c tires and converted so a singlespeed or a fixie. It will make you appreciate your road bike more and will make you a better rider.
Old 09-30-05, 01:42 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second bike is my recently demoted, much loved Trek 1500, so I hate to call it a "beater." For now it's my bad weather / commuter / indoor trainer bike, but it may evolve into a TT bike or a extreme (for me) hill climbing bike next year.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 09-30-05, 01:52 PM
fore0121
Riding, always Riding

Bikes: Cervelo r3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
... so I hate to call it a "beater." For now it's my bad weather / commuter / indoor trainer bike ...

Kind of what I'm looking at for my second. Not a true beater, but a good second ride.
f
Old 09-30-05, 01:52 PM
jslopez
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi pista (fixed gear) in Chrome!!!

Ironically I gt more compliments on it versus the orbea.
Old 09-30-05, 02:27 PM
minder357

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is such a thing as a "low-end cyclocross bike"? I never see any less than 600$ used. . . how can that be a beater bike?
Old 09-30-05, 02:38 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy at the LBS laughed at me when he saw that my "beater" bike has a Dura-Ace group. Old 8-sp DA, but DA nonetheless. But it's what I had sitting around in a box, and the frame/fork was only $200, so to me that's a beater.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 09-30-05, 02:42 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by inkdwheels
A beater should be any older steel bike capable of at least 32c tires and converted so a singlespeed or a fixie. It will make you appreciate your road bike more and will make you a better rider.
hmm, like this:

Old 09-30-05, 02:50 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So my 2100 isn't really a "beater" then.....DAMMIT, now I gotta go buy another bike....
Old 09-30-05, 02:55 PM
richardmasoner
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
My "beater" is an 80's Centurion...
Ditto, except my Centurion's now fixed.

My other beater bike is a pre-Pacific GT mountain bike I got from a garage sale.

RFM
Old 09-30-05, 03:08 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
So my 2100 isn't really a "beater" then.....DAMMIT, now I gotta go buy another bike....
above bike has seen about 20,000 miles in 2 years, not bad considering I paid $100 for it

nope 2100 isnt a beater really, but then again, the bike is just a tool, best bike in the world aint worth sheot with a weak out of shape motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.