Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Away from the Steel Bulls

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 05:49 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

It's always good to get on the road bikes and ways from the steel bulls at the same time. I don't do a lot of paved rail trails but do enjoy them during off hours when they aren't too crowded. This rail trail is a bit of a drive for me but worth it and today I took out the single speed for some extra fun. I ended up rolling out a tad under 37 miles enjoying a nice warm day and enjoying my little field trip Friday.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-07-23, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
It's always good to get on the road bikes and ways from the steel bulls at the same time. I don't do a lot of paved rail trails but do enjoy them during off hours when they aren't too crowded. This rail trail is a bit of a drive for me but worth it and today I took out the single speed for some extra fun. I ended up rolling out a tad under 37 miles enjoying a nice warm day and enjoying my little field trip Friday.
First visit of 2023 to The Bruce Freeman Rail Trail / Cycling Past Sixty - YouTube
37 miles, good for you!
Old 08-07-23, 01:49 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
37 miles, good for you!
The Bruce Freeman rail trail is nice, and I like to check out the roads in the surrounding towns also.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-10-23, 04:01 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I can get to my daughter's house in Vienna VA from our house in Ashton MD with a 7 mile road ride and then 33 miles on various trails. Avoiding "steel bulls" is great, but running into scurries of "human squirrels" feels more dangerous at times - on weekends some of those trails are in heavy use by stroller pushers, dog walkers, kids, etc - I feel much safer on the roads!

But on other more remote trails (Western MD Rail Trail, North Central Rail Trail, Great Allegheny Passage) that I do frequently, the car-free biking is awesome.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-12-23, 06:35 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I can get to my daughter's house in Vienna VA from our house in Ashton MD with a 7 mile road ride and then 33 miles on various trails. Avoiding "steel bulls" is great, but running into scurries of "human squirrels" feels more dangerous at times - on weekends some of those trails are in heavy use by stroller pushers, dog walkers, kids, etc - I feel much safer on the roads!

But on other more remote trails (Western MD Rail Trail, North Central Rail Trail, Great Allegheny Passage) that I do frequently, the car-free biking is awesome.
I never visit these paved rail trails on the weekends or late afternoon because they get too crowded. I might do a half dozen rides a year on them, mainly play in the woods with all the wildlife.